Venice Flight Leaving Marco Polo airport at 7:45AM on a Tuesday

BlueSkiesTX

We are thinking about staying at a VRBO in Venice. How hard logistically would it be to make a 7:45AM flight back to the US on a Tuesday morning? How would you schedule a water taxi at a VRBO and not a hotel? I might not be phrasing it properly. It's been a long day. Basically, what is the best and most feasible option to the airport at that time?

Would it be better to take a 3PM flight? There are five of us.

Thanks.

There are no cars in Venice proper beyond Piazzale Roma, so how you would get to the airport depends on the exact location of your accommodations. Without that it's hard to be helpful.

From most parts of Venice it's faster to get to Piazzale Roma and travel to the airport by land, a water taxi is a pleasant luxury but there's a limit to how fast they can travel so again, it comes down to location.

If, for example, you are staying on the north shore of Cannaregio a water taxi to the airport makes a lot of sense. On the other hand, if you're staying in southern Dorsoduro a land taxi would get you there faster.

The house would be in the Dursoduro area. Having never been to Venice, we're not sure how difficult it would be to walk with our luggage from there to Piazzela Roma at 4AM or so. Likewise if the water taxi is the better option, how hard is it to coordinate a meeting spot at 4 AM since we're not a hotel (or do they all wait at specific spots)? Thanks.

It would not be easy to walk to Piazzale Roma from Dorsoduro with luggage, the closest point in Dorsoduro is about a half mile walk, the furthest point is a mile and a half. However, as you'll quickly learn once you are in Venice, it's not the distance but the number of bridges and turns. Narrow calles (streets), lack of streets signs and darkness are a perfect combination for getting lost.

If you are looking to save money there there are 24 hour vaporettos on the main routes, including Piazzale Roma. You could take a vaporetto (unless you are located in the dead center of Dorsoduro, again the specific address makes a big difference) to Piazzale Roma and a bus or taxi from there to the airport.

When you pre-book a water taxi, as you surely would need to at this hour, you give them your address and they can tell you where the nearest public docking facility is located. Your landlord or rental agent should also be able to give you this information.

Go for the 3pm flight. I stayed in the Dorsodoro area of Venice before a cruise. I researched on Google maps and felt confident. I took the bus to Pizzale Roma from the airport and set out to find my hotel. It was still daylight and I got lost. There were alleys and bridges. Oh boy! The 3 pm flight is the most sensible.