Newbie on Disney Cruises

09CruiseGirl

Hi all. I’ve been on several Royal Caribbean cruises and a couple of Carnival, but this will be my first Disney Cruise and I have a few questions. We’re taking a 4 night Bahamas cruise. My main question is regarding the dining – I don’t really understand how it works. We’re adults only – no kids. We know we’d like to eat at Palo one night but reading another thread something about a dining rotation was mentioned? Is there not a traditional MDR?

Also, am I correct to assume that since it’s less than a 5 day cruise, there will not be a formal night? What about Pirates Night – and is that when they do the fireworks? There is a current thread regarding a mixology. Would that be something on a 4 night cruise?

And if anyone wants to throw in any more tidbits regarding what to expect on a Disney 4 night cruise, I’d be grateful.

Thanks to any and all help given.

Hi all. I’ve been on several Royal Caribbean cruises and a couple of Carnival, but this will be my first Disney Cruise and I have a few questions. We’re taking a 4 night Bahamas cruise. My main question is regarding the dining – I don’t really understand how it works. We’re adults only – no kids. We know we’d like to eat at Palo one night but reading another thread something about a dining rotation was mentioned? Is there not a traditional MDR? There are 3 MDRs on the DCL ships. On the Dream they are Animators Palate; Enchanted Garden; and Royal Palace. When you check in at the port, on your KTTW card there will be a rotation noted (AEEP; or EPAA; or some comination of the 3 MDRs)as well as a table number. Each MDR has it's own signature menu and one night is the Pirate menu. You will "rotate" (along with your servers and any tablemates) through each MDR during the course of the cruise. Your table number will be the same in each room, but the specific location within the room may vary.

I generally suggest that for a first cruise (and a short one) you may want to keep to the MDRs and save the extra pay dining (Palo/Remy) for another cruise when you are more familiar with what you may want to skip and have more time onboard. But that's your choice.

Also, am I correct to assume that since it’s less than a 5 day cruise, there will not be a formal night? What about Pirates Night – and is that when they do the fireworks? There is a current thread regarding a mixology. Would that be something on a 4 night cruise? There is a "dress up optional" night on the 4 night cruise. Fireworks are on Pirate night. I would think that they do have Mixology classes onboard, but I have no experience with either the Dream or the classes.

And if anyone wants to throw in any more tidbits regarding what to expect on a Disney 4 night cruise, I’d be grateful. Be aware, there will be a lot of people onboard trying to do "everything". Don't be one of them, just enjoy what you can do.

Thanks to any and all help given.

My answers in red

:)

There is a mixology class on the 4 night as well as several tastings like wine, champagne, tequila, whiskey, etc. You can participate for a fee. Anywhere from $15-$25 per person i believe. The tastings will be listed in your Personal Navigator that you receive every night or you can go to guest services to find out the schedule upon embarkation.

That’s good to know about the dining. As there are three MDR’s and four nights, I’ll probably wait until we get our KTTW cards and then reserve Palo on the night of the repeat dining room. This way we can try out all of the MDR’s and still get Palo as we really want to eat there.

I’m glad to know that the mixology should be on a four night – that sounds like a lot of fun. Also, I’ve been to the theme parks enough to know to heed the advice to not try everything at once.

That’s good to know about the dining. As there are three MDR’s and four nights, I’ll probably wait until we get our KTTW cards and then reserve Palo on the night of the repeat dining room. This way we can try out all of the MDR’s and still get Palo as we really want to eat there.

I’m glad to know that the mixology should be on a four night – that sounds like a lot of fun. Also, I’ve been to the theme parks enough to know to heed the advice to not try everything at once.

I will point out that the repeated MDR will be the one that you are in for Pirate night. One night the will be serving the Signature Menu for that MDR and the other night they will be serving the Pirate Menu.

I will point out that the repeated MDR will be the one that you are in for Pirate night. One night the will be serving the Signature Menu for that MDR and the other night they will be serving the Pirate Menu.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Is it easier to get rezes at Palo on Fantasy and Dream then on Magic and Wonder? We have always gotten or rez months ahead...

The difficulty of getting a reservation depends on several factors:

1) When your booking window opens

2) Are you going for dinner or brunch?

3) If brunch, how many sea days your cruise has.

4) Length of cruise

Is it easier to get rezes at Palo on Fantasy and Dream then on Magic and Wonder? We have always gotten or rez months ahead...

DD booked our 9/29/12 Fantasy cruise approximately 60 days before we sail. As soon as she could, she checked and Palo dinner was still available for two of the seven nights so she booked dinner for one night. Brunch was no longer available but we may try to reserve as soon as we board the ship if there are any openings.

DD booked our 9/29/12 Fantasy cruise approximately 60 days before we sail. As soon as she could, she checked and Palo dinner was still available for two of the seven nights so she booked dinner for one night. Brunch was no longer available but we may try to reserve as soon as we board the ship if there are any openings.

Wouldn't let me Edit this to correct:

With 51 days to go, DCL is still showing Palo dinner availability for three nights on our cruise!

When we did the 7 day Alaska cruise, Palo dinners were available, but all the brunches were gone :eek:. And we looked the first day we were allowed. We are Castaway Cay members, so that was 90 days before the cruise... I think all the High Teas were also gone...

We probably could have finagled a brunch once we were aboard, but chose not to pursue it...

When we did the 7 day Alaska cruise, Palo dinners were available, but all the brunches were gone :eek:. And we looked the first day we were allowed. We are Castaway Cay members, so that was 90 days before the cruise... I think all the High Teas were also gone...

We probably could have finagled a brunch once we were aboard, but chose not to pursue it...

Brunch is always very popular. We couldn't get it until we did our 4th DCL cruise.

Never tried for dinner-not interested.

Brunch is always very popular. We couldn't get it until we did our 4th DCL cruise.

Never tried for dinner-not interested.

Dinner is available every night. Brunch is only available on sea days, hence fewer openings. And High Tea is gone :(.

Dinner is available every night. Brunch is only available on sea days, hence fewer openings. And High Tea is gone :(.

On the Fantasy Western Itinerary, Palo Brunch is offered on the Costa Maya port day as the ship docks at noon. And that brunch was also sold out! I loved the Magic brunch and wanted DD to experience brunch too. Do you think we may have any luck booking at embarkation?

On the Fantasy Western Itinerary, Palo Brunch is offered on the Costa Maya port day as the ship docks at noon. And that brunch was also sold out! I loved the Magic brunch and wanted DD to experience brunch too. Do you think we may have any luck booking at embarkation?

Possibly. As I said, about half of the available reservations are held back from the online booking process. If not, you can always be put on the waiting list.

And then there's the option of taking another cruise and trying again :D

Possibly. As I said, about half of the available reservations are held back from the online booking process. If not, you can always be put on the waiting list.

And then there's the option of taking another cruise and trying again :D

:) good answer!! DD still needs to go on a cruise with her DH as a belated honeymoon but he couldn't miss classes for this one! :(

Why the heck not????? Dinner was great, and of course there is the Chocolate Souffle.... :D

I believe that it is the best dessert on the ship...

Totally agree. The chocolate souffle is to die for. That said, I don't care for dinner. I much prefer the brunch.

Archived