valleta Malta on our own or with tour group?

We will be on the Celebrity Constellation next May for the Eastern Med cruise. Any opinions on different options for seeing this port? Although we are doing either ship excursions or private tours on many if the ports, I believe that some ports are more easily done via taxi or walking on our own. I would appreciate feedback on this port.

Great port to DIY. Plenty to see in Valetta itself in a day if you do not want to take an excursion and easily walkable as long as you do not have walking difficulties. There is quite a level change between the dock and the city but there is a public lift or you could get a taxi up if it looks too challenging.

Thanks for the responses! We don't dock until 1:30 P.M. , and the ship leaves at 10:30 P.M. That doesn't leave us much time, as we would do dinner on ship, more than likely. After reading comments, I'm thinking this would be a good port to just do on our own, mostly walking around Valleta and the sites nearer to the ship? Thanks again!

We would just add that there is a lot more to Malta then Valletta. DW and I have explored the entire island (on several visits) via rental car (when we leave Valletta) and it is a place we enjoy. As others have suggested, you should look (and post) on the appropriate European port board for info. But the short answer is that you can do this port/island with a tour, on your own using buses, on your own with the HoHo buses, on your own with a rental car, etc. There is no right or wrong..but it is simply a matter of personal preference.

Hank

We did a small private tour which included time on our own for the sights around the port, but the highlight of the island is spectacular Mdina!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I agree about Mdina. It is one of the most beautiful sites that we have seen.

We used the Hop-on, Hop-off buses, and were very pleased with what we got to see.

We have vouchers for the HOHO bus on our upcoming cruise but do not arrive in Malta until 1:00 pm and they stop running at 4:00pm. If we get on the "northern route" bus as soon as possible, will we see enough to make it worthwhile?

[We can explore Valletta after 4:00, as we do not leave until 8:00.]

I hope you're not visiting on a Monday, as St. Elmo fort is closed that day, I believe. It is an extremely important historical site, as the Knights held off a major Muslim incursion for months, thus helping to save Europe. We landed on a Monday, of course, so it was a big disappointment. As others have said, Valletta is an easy walk and buses are cheap. Oh, and it can be extremely windy, so if you wear contacts, be advised. Be sure to read up on the fascinating history of Malta before you go.

As our ship doesn't dock until 1:30, and leaves at 10:30 P.M., would there be time to do both Valleta & Mdna & get back to ship without rushing? Someone said that the HOHO bus stops running after 4:00. How about the public bus; does it run after 4? Anyone know the cost of the public bus or a private taxi? Thanks!

As soon as you get off the ship, there are taxi drivers who will give you a good tour, they are holding signs that show you where they will take you, what sites, etc I think we paid for a 4 hour tour.

We were very happy with our driver, where we went and what we saw. I forget the price, but it's much better than a "tour", more expensive than a hop on hop off bus.

This is what I would recommend, you get to see more of Malta this way.

It's lovely.

The Hypogeum - the highlight of Malta for me http://heritagemalta.org/museums-sites/hal-saflieni-hypogeum/.

I second Mum and Son's suggestion to include a visit to The Hypogeum. It is truly an amazing historical site.

Word of warning...only ten visitors are allowed on each hourly tour; and the slots fill up fast!

Keep a close look at the booking calendar - https://booking.heritagemalta.org for availability in May. Since you dock at 1:30 p.m., I would recommend booking a 3:00 p.m. tour. That would give you ample time to get there by public bus or taxi.

Carolyn

As soon as you get off the ship, there are taxi drivers who will give you a good tour, they are holding signs that show you where they will take you, what sites, etc I think we paid for a 4 hour tour.

We were very happy with our driver, where we went and what we saw. I forget the price, but it's much better than a "tour", more expensive than a hop on hop off bus.

It's lovely.

Amen!!! That way you get what you want!!!

Malta is so worth seeing...as much as you can and M'Dina is gorgeous.

Our itinerary got changed last year due to bad weather but the ship did a bus tour. We did see a lot but not for long enough.

We have a tour booked through Amy Pace...70 Euro per person and it's an 8 hour tour.

You could customize the tour to make it less hours.

This is what we are doing this year:

My suggested itinerary would be to take a drive round the walled Capital,

>Valletta, to view the fortifications of the city and the harbours on

>either

>side of it, then to get the stunning view of the Grand Harbour from the

>Barracca Gardens on high grounds. St. John's co-Cathedral is only a five

>minute stroll down the road. This amazing monument used to be the

>Conventual

>church for the Order of St. John, and along with touring the church you'll

>also view the Caravaggio paintings in the Oratory.

> We'll then be picked up to proceed for a drive through Attard, Balzan

>and

>Lija, 3 quaint little villages nestled below Mdina, the walled city. The 3

>villages were built, when the inhabitants of Mdina, stopped feeling the

>need

>for living behind walls.

>

>Mdina, is what used to be the Capital of the island, until the building of

>Valletta. Here, it will need to be a walking tour, so you're able to take

>in

>the city's charm. Perched on a hilltop, Mdina has an irregular plan of

>narrow winding streets intended to confuse the enemy. This mediaeval city,

>has always been the seat of the island's nobility.

>

>A drive to Mellieha will allow for a little rest. The view from high, from

>by its 300 year-old church, is lovely - it is one of Mellieha bay, and the

>sister islands in the background. This can be followed up by another very

>pretty view, one of the rugged coastline across from St. Paul's Bay, very

>old world. On to St. Julian's and Sliema, thus balancing the old with the

>modern, and finally via Ta' Xbiex, a prestigious residential area with

>its

>early 20th century homes overlooking a yacht marina and enjoying the

>classic

>view of the Valletta bastions.

>

>The Tarxien Prehistoric Temples deserve a visit. They are a 3-temple site

>ranging between 2,500 and 2,900 B.C. Tarxien is the most highly decorated

>of

>the temple sites, the one that reveals most about the people who built

>them.

>

>Vittoriosa, the Maritime city is only a 10 minute drive away, this is

>where

>the Knights of St. John first settled before building Valletta, here to

>take

>a short walk in the Collachio, the area reserved for the Knights. This

>will

>be followed up with the impressive view of the entrance to the Grand

>Harbour

>and the Kalkara fishing village.

>

>The tour will also include Marsaxlokk, a picturesque fishing village.

>

>The excursion as proposed, involves two entrance fees, the cost being 6

>Euros/person (EUR 4.50 for seniors), not included in the quoted costs.

>

>Lunch can be had at the place of your choice.

>

>The proposed itinerary is only a suggestion, it can be altered or trimmed

>to

>your preference, even as the tour progresses.

• 1 year later...

It's lovely.

Do you remember the price?

My advice for a port day in Malta would be to see M'dina, the Three Cities and old Valetta. If you are interested in Silver jewelry and in Valetta's main street, carry on past the square and palace downhill and there are several silversmiths shops making and selling beautiful silvet filigree and othet silver jewellery.