What do you wear to secure your valuables?

dickinson

After reading about all the pick pockets, etc in Europe I was wondering what kind of clothing people wear. For example... my dh has a money belt (I think that is what it is called) that you would wear around your waist. You put your money and credit cards in it. (he wore it once and hated it). However, if he is wearing a button down shirt it would be too difficult to take things out of it. So... what type of shirt do men generally wear with these things?

For women.... I have a cross body bag. I can also get a money belt too if necessary. What would I wear? I generally wear nice pullover shirts with 3/4 length sleeves. I would think the belt could be seen under my shirt. Somewhere I read that someone uses their cross body bag and puts a jacket over it. What if it is at least 70 degrees and too warm for a jacket?

Thanks. We will be in Rome after our cruise mid May and with all the crowds there I need to think about these things.

I learned about a very simple trick from a retired US Secret Service Agent (who was the #2 guy in the White House for several years). I simply keep my money in a front pocket which is further secured by a large safety pin. Its not full proof, but has worked quite well for many decades of travel. DW uses a large safety pin to pin her purse zippers together. She also wears it "cross shoulder." These are very simple basic precautions that have served us well for many years and many places. And there is no substitute for always being alert to your surroundings and acting according to common sense. None of this is perfect....but its usually enough to encourage thieves to look elsewhere to an "easy mark."

We should add a very simple and common sense warning. Do not wear valuable jewelry or watches. It only marks you as a target. The best way to protect valuables is not to have any :).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Thanks! So you pin your money to your pocket? What do you do for your credit cards? I like the idea of pinning the zippers. I assume you just put a safety pin across the zipper so no one can slide it open.

The only place you are going to be a real target for pickpockets in Rome is in the subway. The normal practice is for a team of three to do the business. Two do the jostling and one does the business. My suggestion and this is what we do is to have a small zipped up bag held in our hands at all times. My wife uses a small back pack worn on the front instead of the back. All our belongings whilst on the train are in the bags and nothing in our pockets. Last year in ROme we go targeted 3 times , first by 3 males, the second by 3 females and the third by three females one of whom was carrying a baby. The offenders are mostly Eastern Europeans aged late teens early twenties. Getting on and off the train is the normal time they make their move when everyone is bustling each other and they try to get off again before the train departs. Bit hard to escape between stations

The only place you are going to be a real target for pickpockets in Rome is in the subway.

While the subway is a prime location for petty crime it is hardly the only time one needs to be mindful. Any time you are in a crowd and are distracted you are a target. You could be simply waiting on a line and be bored ... and therefore distracted. You could be on a crowded bus, or sitting at a cafe people watching across the piazza and unaware of what's right next to you. Please don't think that there's only one place you need to be on guard, but don't think that you need to be paranoid all the time either. Reasonable precautions and awareness are the keys.

Last year in ROme we go targeted 3 times , first by 3 males, the second by 3 females and the third by three females one of whom was carrying a baby. The offenders are mostly Eastern Europeans aged late teens early twenties. Getting on and off the train is the normal time they make their move when everyone is bustling each other and they try to get off again before the train departs. Bit hard to escape between stations

It's always hard to remember that just because something happened to us, that doesn't make it the "norm". Petty criminals in Europe come in all sizes, ages, genders, and ethnic backgrounds. If you assume you only need to be aware of "Eastern Europeans", whatever that means to you, you'll be underestimating the criminal class.

What about when you are at a site and trying to take a photograph? There was another thread on here about cell phone stealing. I don't think anyone mentioned theirs grabbed while taking pictures but others did say they are grabbed while checking for messages, texts, etc. I can see where I am taking a picture and someone is trying to open my bag (although it will be harder because I will put that safety pin on it!).

The only place you are going to be a real target for pickpockets in Rome is in the subway. The normal practice is for a team of three to do the business. Two do the jostling and one does the business. My suggestion and this is what we do is to have a small zipped up bag held in our hands at all times. My wife uses a small back pack worn on the front instead of the back. All our belongings whilst on the train are in the bags and nothing in our pockets. Last year in ROme we go targeted 3 times , first by 3 males, the second by 3 females and the third by three females one of whom was carrying a baby. The offenders are mostly Eastern Europeans aged late teens early twenties. Getting on and off the train is the normal time they make their move when everyone is bustling each other and they try to get off again before the train departs. Bit hard to escape between stations

I realize this is good anecdotal information based on your experiences, but trust me, the metro is NOT the only place where one should be alert to potential for pickpockets. I've been to Rome many times and have seen them working crowds in spots like Trevi Fountain (a real favorite as it is a small area that becomes packed with tourists in high season), the Spanish Steps, outside the Colosseum, and even St. Peter's square -- basically anywhere you have a lot of tourists who feel 'safe' because they are surrounded by other tourists or who simply lose themselves in the experience and forget to exercise caution. Buses are another spot to take care.

Believe me, I'm not being superior -- I've been a victim myself, both in Rome and Barcelona. You cannot 'outsmart' them necessarily; they are experts at what they do. The best advice can be summed up in three rules:

1. Leave anything you absolutely do NOT need on the ship or in your hotel.

2. Make the cash/cards or other valuables that you MUST carry as inaccessible as possible.

3. Situational awareness (or what I like to call 'city awareness') is important.

I don't think one need go overboard. I do not carry Pacsafe or any other safety bag, but I do take a small 'secret pocket' that I either pin inside a zipped, interior pocket of my crossbody bag, OR I pin it to the inside of my pants or skirt if I'm more than usually concerned about bag grabbers. I travel solo, so I tend to bring one extra credit card that I leave behind, just in case, as well as an extra ATM card.

Finally, pickpockets can look like well-dressed businessmen or even a typical Italian granny. Rather than trying to profile, it's better to just maintain awareness of anyone trying to approach you or get in your space and make sure they see that YOU are aware of THEM. Don't fall for any of the basic scams, which may include:

-- Someone trying to hand you something or trying to get you to sign a petition.

-- Someone who 'kindheartedly' points out that you have something on your shirt or jacket and wants to help you clean it off.

-- The 'gold ring' scam (or similar) -- Google for more info.

-- Someone offering to help you with luggage or at a ticket kiosk, etc.

In short, be a little suspicious of anyone trying to distract or detain you.

Thanks! So you pin your money to your pocket? What do you do for your credit cards? I like the idea of pinning the zippers. I assume you just put a safety pin across the zipper so no one can slide it open.

LOL, no we do not pin our money. We simply use a large pin to secure the pocket. A determined thief might still be able to get in the pocket, but its unlikely ...especially without you noticing. We normally carry cash, 1 major credit card (others are locked in a hotel/cruise safe) and some type of picture ID.

Most of DW's purses have a double zipper. If that is the case she simply pins the two zippers together.....making it more difficult for somebody to slide open a zipper and remove items. But that is only part of the story. Women are sometimes very careless with their purses. For example, about 3 years ago we were walking on the Ramblas (Barcelona) and saw some ladies sitting at an outdoor cafe with their pursed clearly visible on the ground under their chairs. Sure enough...while we happened to be watching...a guy walked by a snatched one of the purses from under a seat...without anyone at the table having a clue. Another man also saw what happened and quickly chased the thief who dropped the purse. The man brought the purse back and gave it to its owner....who still did not seem to understand what had happened.

Hank

What about when you are at a site and trying to take a photograph? There was another thread on here about cell phone stealing. I don't think anyone mentioned theirs grabbed while taking pictures but others did say they are grabbed while checking for messages, texts, etc. I can see where I am taking a picture and someone is trying to open my bag (although it will be harder because I will put that safety pin on it!).

Hi dickinson,

We recommend reading through some of the previous threads here on the Italy board but also check through some reputable guide books for Europe if you have them to reassure yourself. You've also been given great advice here already.

Being mindful of where your important items and valuable items are and implementing "best practices" or common sense (keep things closed/zipped/secure at all times when out in public) is the objective. Otherwise remain confident at all times but let yourself have fun too! Remember that you are away from home but do enjoy where you are - again, best practices/have fun. That's all there is to it.

Most of the highly visited areas are safe and fun - if they weren't, visitors would not go back to these "most visited places" in the world. It's a few bad apples spoiling it and the upset of their victims that get the press we hear about - we don't hear "I came back, nothing happened but a wonderful vacation" and we are all prone to worry. Don't worry - think smart and have fun. :)

Follow the advice you've received here and add in whatever practical ideas you get on your own. I am a NYC native and so living there helped prepare me to take on the cities of the world - smaller places were my biggest challenges! I didn't always know what to do in quiet little sleepy areas when there's few people or places and people DON'T lock up their things and houses :eek: but that's what travel is all about, yes?

Enjoy and let us know how it goes - we hear too much about the pre-trip worry and not enough "it was OK" follow up!! Ciao ;)

LOL, no we do not pin our money. We simply use a large pin to secure the pocket. A determined thief might still be able to get in the pocket, but its unlikely ...especially without you noticing. We normally carry cash, 1 major credit card (others are locked in a hotel/cruise safe) and some type of picture ID.

Most of DW's purses have a double zipper. If that is the case she simply pins the two zippers together.....making it more difficult for somebody to slide open a zipper and remove items. But that is only part of the story. Women are sometimes very careless with their purses. For example, about 3 years ago we were walking on the Ramblas (Barcelona) and saw some ladies sitting at an outdoor cafe with their pursed clearly visible on the ground under their chairs. Sure enough...while we happened to be watching...a guy walked by a snatched one of the purses from under a seat...without anyone at the table having a clue. Another man also saw what happened and quickly chased the thief who dropped the purse. The man brought the purse back and gave it to its owner....who still did not seem to understand what had happened.

Hank

Ahhhhh... it makes sense now!!! :) Much easier to pin the pocket than the money!

In 2015 we took our first cruise overseas... a TA and then the British Isles. We spent a couple of days in London. I held onto my purse very tightly. No problems. I did find out later that a couple we met on the ship had a purse stolen. They were in England after the cruise and put their purse on the back of their chair in a restaurant. Either the whole purse or the wallet was stolen. Me, I always kept mine on my lap held tight. We had a great trip.

Because we had such a wonderful time we are again doing a TA and then the follow up cruise to the Med. Spending two days in Rome (including debarkation day). I am getting great tips from this thread. I am sure it will help others who read it too.

One other question.... do you leave your passport in the hotel safe or take it with you for the day?

One other question.... do you leave your passport in the hotel safe or take it with you for the day?

Do not carry your passport or anything else that would cause inconvenience if lost.

If your bag is stolen and you lose €20 cash, a credit card, and an insured phone, then so what.

If your passport is stolen at the same time...

Yes hotel safes are not very secure and can be opened with a potato (Google it), but there is a limited range of people with access.

Just in case, carry a photocopy of your passport picture pages. Keep in the hotel separate from the actual passport, maybe in your suitcase. That makes it a lot easier to go to a consulate to have it reissued in case it is stolen.

Also, take a photo of the passport picture pages and email them to yourself. Then you can retrieve it from any computer.

I have locking S Biner linking my zippers on my backpack. They are mini carabiners that have a twisting lock by Nite Ize. It would take a min for a thief to understand how it works but of course I'm always vigilante in who is close to me. If your going to be taking lots of photos, try and do so outside the crowd of people if you can. For my cash and CC, I use a small zippy pouch about the size of a CC. It has a key ring on one end and I use a large caribiner and attach to front belt loop and then flip the case inside between front pants and underwear. It's soft and comfortable. Easier than wearing a money belt.

Pickpockets are everywhere, not just the subway. If you want to see them work just head to trevi fountain and hang out on the side up above. Scan around and you'll notice the young people constantly moving around between the tourists who aren't paying any attn to what's going on.

I have locking S Biner linking my zippers on my backpack. They are mini carabiners that have a twisting lock by Nite Ize. It would take a min for a thief to understand how it works but of course I'm always vigilante in who is close to me. If your going to be taking lots of photos, try and do so outside the crowd of people if you can. For my cash and CC, I use a small zippy pouch about the size of a CC. It has a key ring on one end and I use a large caribiner and attach to front belt loop and then flip the case inside between front pants and underwear. It's soft and comfortable. Easier than wearing a money belt.

Pickpockets are everywhere, not just the subway. If you want to see them work just head to trevi fountain and hang out on the side up above. Scan around and you'll notice the young people constantly moving around between the tourists who aren't paying any attn to what's going on.

I've used locking carabiners on my bags for as long as I can remember. On my daypack, on my cross-body bag, any bag. For my cross-body, I just connect the zipper pull to the shoulder strap O-ring. I use this anywhere I go, from Los Angeles to New York City to Paris to Rome to Cairo to Nairobi. I've never felt the need for a specialized "pac safe"-type bag.

One thing I do with my daypack or cross-body is to put the strap over one of my legs when I'm sitting down, and have the bag in front of me. Again, I do this anywhere, even in my hometown.

One place where I was amazed at the seeming lack of awareness was at Trevi Fountain. I use the passageway as one of my main ways from where I stay over to the Pantheon area. So many people staring or taking photos, all packed in like sardines. A target-rich environment for a petty thief. I wondered if even I could make a score on some of those clueless of those around them...

I realize this is good anecdotal information based on your experiences, but trust me, the metro is NOT the only place where one should be alert to potential for pickpockets. I've been to Rome many times and have seen them working crowds in spots like Trevi Fountain (a real favorite as it is a small area that becomes packed with tourists in high season), the Spanish Steps, outside the Colosseum, and even St. Peter's square -- basically anywhere you have a lot of tourists who feel 'safe' because they are surrounded by other tourists or who simply lose themselves in the experience and forget to exercise caution. Buses are another spot to take care.

Believe me, I'm not being superior -- I've been a victim myself, both in Rome and Barcelona. You cannot 'outsmart' them necessarily; they are experts at what they do. The best advice can be summed up in three rules:

1. Leave anything you absolutely do NOT need on the ship or in your hotel.

2. Make the cash/cards or other valuables that you MUST carry as inaccessible as possible.

3. Situational awareness (or what I like to call 'city awareness') is important.

I don't think one need go overboard. I do not carry Pacsafe or any other safety bag, but I do take a small 'secret pocket' that I either pin inside a zipped, interior pocket of my crossbody bag, OR I pin it to the inside of my pants or skirt if I'm more than usually concerned about bag grabbers. I travel solo, so I tend to bring one extra credit card that I leave behind, just in case, as well as an extra ATM card.

Finally, pickpockets can look like well-dressed businessmen or even a typical Italian granny. Rather than trying to profile, it's better to just maintain awareness of anyone trying to approach you or get in your space and make sure they see that YOU are aware of THEM. Don't fall for any of the basic scams, which may include:

-- Someone trying to hand you something or trying to get you to sign a petition.

-- Someone who 'kindheartedly' points out that you have something on your shirt or jacket and wants to help you clean it off.

-- The 'gold ring' scam (or similar) -- Google for more info.

-- Someone offering to help you with luggage or at a ticket kiosk, etc.

In short, be a little suspicious of anyone trying to distract or detain you.

While walking around the Pantheon last year, DH noticed a man and lady that were following us. We started to test them. Sure enough, wherever we walked around there, they casually followed us. We went around the corner of one of the buildings and stood waiting -and here they came. When they realized we were standing there, he sent her into the coffee shop and he stood outside looking up at the outside of the building! We took pictures of him. At that point it was time for us to get back to the Monastery Stay place so we went over to the bank of taxis and left.

Do not carry your passport or anything else that would cause inconvenience if lost.

If your bag is stolen and you lose €20 cash, a credit card, and an insured phone, then so what.

If your passport is stolen at the same time...

Yes hotel safes are not very secure and can be opened with a potato (Google it), but there is a limited range of people with access.

Just in case, carry a photocopy of your passport picture pages. Keep in the hotel separate from the actual passport, maybe in your suitcase. That makes it a lot easier to go to a consulate to have it reissued in case it is stolen.

Also, take a photo of the passport picture pages and email them to yourself. Then you can retrieve it from any computer.

This is a much-discussed and very heated topic on the forums.

Please see this current thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2447502

Be aware that is is against the law to NOT carry your passport on your person in a number of countries. If you choose to do so, be comfortable with the idea of the consequences of watching the ship sail-away if you are detained by a medical emergency or legal issue. What good does your passport serve you if you don't have it? Of course you MIGHT get pick-pocketed, or get in an accident, or suffer a serious medical emergency, or miss the ship, or suffer a myraid of other horrible scenarios.

The notion that a stolen passport is a major catastrophe is way overblown IMHO. Be aware of what to do if it does happen, just as you should know how to report credit or ATM card thefts.

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/general/lost-or-stolen-travel-documents.html

We do know of instances where it has happened and it was inconvenient, but fairly easy to resolve. We also know of more instances where passengers were unable to reboard due to medical emergencies, and very grateful they had their passports during the crisis.

We are avid DIY'ers and travel quite extensively on both land and cruise vacations. I am also comfortable wearing my usual jewelry about, as I do when home. We never, ever leave our passports in a hotel safe or onboard the ship; that's the place for the copies.

In the end, only you can determine your own comfort level with protecting your personal items, and/or the possible consequences of being left in a foreign country without your passport.

This is a much-discussed and very heated topic on the forums.

We are avid DIY'ers and travel quite extensively on both land and cruise vacations. I am also comfortable wearing my usual jewelry about, as I do when home. We never, ever leave our passports in a hotel safe or onboard the ship; that's the place for the copies.

In the end, only you can determine your own comfort level with protecting your personal items, and/or the possible consequences of being left in a foreign country without your passport.

You present one side of the argument well. But it's also fair to state that even the US State Department advises leaving one's passport in the hotel in many countries when one is not obliged to carry it, as a safety measure. (US State Department website has this info.)

Most seasoned travelers have stories to tell on one side or the other of the issue. As someone who was pickpocketed in Barcelona despite normal precautions, I am happy that I did not have my passport with me on that day. And other than in official circumstances (e.g., crossing a border, boarding a plane, or [in Italy] checking into a hotel) I have never been asked for my passport in my travels to close to 100 different countries. I will carry it, although uneasily, if I am forewarned that it is required in a specific place.

I've also read and heard first-hand that many cruise ships will do what they can to get your passport to the port agent if you leave it onboard (either in your safe or when collected and held by the ship).

In the end, one has to weigh the possible pros and cons, as you say. But keep in mind the following points:

-- How likely is it, realistically, that you would miss the ship? It's a pretty unreasonable fear if you are on a ship tour. And even if not, the number of 'stranded' passengers at any given is well below 1% of the total.

-- Alternatively, how likely is it that someone would steal my passport if I have it with me? In some countries (say those around the Baltics), the risk may be very low. In other ports (Naples, Athens, Barcelona, Rio de Janeiro) the risk is substantially higher.

-- How difficult is it to get my passport replaced if I'm stranded in this particular port? In Rome, it's easy -- often within a single working day (I know from an unfortunate friend). On an island without an embassy, it can be longer/more difficult.

-- Finally, how bad will it be if I'm stranded and my passport remains on the ship? In some places the risk is negligible. One can easily get from Rome to Naples or Livorno to meet the ship at the next port (e.g., within the same country). In some places, there is more risk.

If I had to choose between the following two scenarios:

-- I left my passport on the ship and then missed the ship

-- I took my passport with me and it was lost or stolen

I'd choose A; at least there is SOME likelihood of being reunited with my passport. :D

I wear a travel vest with 6 hidden zipped pockets of various sizes. Yes when the weather is extremely hot it isn't all that comfortable but piece of mind is worth a lot when in those questionable areas as a tourist. I wear the vest when flying too as if I drop off to sleep I know I have done all I can to protect my valuables.

During the day I have a travel bag wearing it across my shoulders to the front of my body. In that bag is what I expect to be the amount of money I will need for the day in a small purse. If I find I need extra cash or a credit card it is easy enough to find a toilet in a hotel, restaurant etc and then can get more cash out to transfer to my purse.

As a solo traveller I have at times shared rooms in youth hostels and in these cases have worn the vest under my pyjamas. A thief would have to undress me to get anything and I'm sure I would sense if that was happening.

The lady who made the vests lived in Tasmania but closed her business several years ago due to ill health.

Anyone out there who is clever with a sewing machine might be able to make one, or at least sew hidden pockets into a store bought vest. Sadly I can do basic sewing but that is beyond me.

Our next trip to Europe will be September/October and I will wear the vest when out and about at ports and our before and after cruise travel. My passport is always left in the hotel/ship safe and I take a photocopy in my bag.

One place to add where you should take your passport: the SIM store. In Italy and Germany, I was asked for my passport when I purchased a SIM card for my tablet, as recently as last year (Italy).

Granted, most people use their smartphones and buy the international roaming plan from their provider. But, for those who don't do that and buy a SIM, just a friendly reminder...

I have purchased an anti-theft shoulder bag from AAA. It has a wire cord in the strap and cannot be cut from behind. I've heard how someone could come up behind you and cut the strap and take your purse.

They can also run up to you (or drive by on a scooter) and attempt to grab it. In which case your best strategy is to let it go, quickly. And hopefully your major valuables are elsewhere.

IMO, the best option is to dress as though you are a business person and not carry a handbag or other type of bag at all. I don't wear any real or real looking jewelry so there is nothing on me of interest to try to steal in any obvious place. I wear European walking shoes so I just blend in with locals and I put some cash under the liner of a shoe - just in case of emergency (enough to get back to the ship in a cab), maybe a credit card under the liner of the other shoe and then cash I might spend in a hidden pocket. If I don't speak the language of the country I'm visiting, I keep my voice very low when speaking to my husband so it will be hard for people to guess I'm an American. I've traveled a ton and never been robbed or pickpocketed yet. I think that basically, with nothing obvious to steal, pickpockets move on to easier prey.

http://www.scottevest.com

The first time I traveled abroad I was no paranoid about this stuff. Now I don't stress and pretty do what I do at home.

I wear the same clothing. No special vests, etc. I want to be comfortable and be like I'm at home.

I don't carry my passport. Scan is on my phone. Only carry when I know I need it (needed it recently in Asia at a few sights).

I leave my expensive designer purses at home.

I double bag: I have a small Longchamp bag that holds my wallet and I place it inside a larger Longchamp bag. That way I can throw my camera inside. European ladies wear these purses everywhere, so maybe I blend in. Both bags are zipped, zipper faces forward.

Wallet contains only money I need that day, 1 credit card, 1 debit card. The backup cards are in the safe.

It's really not as scary as people make it out to be. Just do what you'd do in NY or any other large American city.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums