Valletta Port to Hypogeum- How long to allow before reserved entrance time?

We will be in Valletta overnight, arriving 8am Mon Nov 20, departing 4pm Tues Nov 21. We want to purchase entrance tickets to the Hypogeum and need a feel for timing from the port either by bus, which would have to include the time to walk to the bus terminal; or by taxi, which would have to include time to get to the taxi stand.

We were thinking of making our reservations for the second morning and using the first morning to do some scoping-out of the systems available. We want enough time to visit there as well as the temples nearby but would need to return to the ship by 3pm to have 30 minutes of contingency for a 3:30 all-aboard.

Any experiences and suggestions are appreciated as we've never been there before and we hope to get to see multiple archeological sites if possible, but the Hypogeum is the one that requires the timed reservations. Thanks, m--

I would suggest using a taxi to get to the Hypogeum, then see the Tarxien temples after and take the bus back to Valletta.

The main reason for suggesting a taxi is that the entrance to the Hypogeum is quite difficult to identify. A taxi will drop you right in front. (It looks just like one of the very ordinary houses in a residential area...)

I cannot remember precisely how long I allowed. I seem to recall the tickets for the Hypogeum tell you to be there well in advance of your time. But the taxi ride did not take long.

Thank you Cruisemom42, I was hoping you'd see my post! But I need just a bit more feel for this.... if you can...

So, if we leave the ship 1 hour prior to our reservation and go by taxi, do you think that is enough time?

Is there a museum or are there exhibits we can take time at before we enter, and use up extra time that way? I have so little information to go on and I'm trying to envision this exciting outing. I don't want to underestimate the timing and be late for our reservation! Thank you for your help. m--

I believe one hour should be plenty of time. I looked up the time by car on Google maps from the port to the Hal Saflieni hypogeum and it's just under 15 minutes. It should not take you longer than 15 minutes to walk from your ship to where the taxis wait (just outside the port terminal building and a few steps up the hill). So that's 30 minutes altogether. Plus, if I recall (and I will check my notes when I am home this evening), they advise you to arrive 15 minutes in advance of your scheduled tour time. So that's now up to 45 minutes.

I'm not sure there's much in the nearby vicinity of the hypogeum, at least not with only 15-20 spare minutes. The waiting area had chairs and perhaps some additional signboards and other materials on the hypogeum.

I believe one hour should be plenty of time. I looked up the time by car on Google maps from the port to the Hal Saflieni hypogeum and it's just under 15 minutes. It should not take you longer than 15 minutes to walk from your ship to where the taxis wait (just outside the port terminal building and a few steps up the hill). So that's 30 minutes altogether. Plus, if I recall (and I will check my notes when I am home this evening), they advise you to arrive 15 minutes in advance of your scheduled tour time. So that's now up to 45 minutes.

I'm not sure there's much in the nearby vicinity of the hypogeum, at least not with only 15-20 spare minutes. The waiting area had chairs and perhaps some additional signboards and other materials on the hypogeum.

Perfect! Thanks so much helping me figure this out!

If we do as you suggested, go there by taxi and come back by bus, is there anything else that you can recommend seeing of the ancient sites? I'm thinking of getting a 10:00am reservation, probably being there and the nearby site 2.5 hours if that is appropriate, so that means getting ready to come back to the ship 12:30, which would leave us a little time in case there is something else we can take in before the 3:30 all aboard. Any other thoughts?

We hope to visit the Archeological Museum in town the first day to give us the overview. Getting very excited about these wonderful ancient sites! m--

I can't recall anything else near these two sites. Hagar Qim is a bit of a distance in the opposite direction from Valletta, so with limited time I'm not sure if you'd want to venture there afterwards.

An option might be to get a cab to take you to Hagar Qim first thing in the morning -- the site opens at 9:00 am -- and make your reservation for the Hypogeum for 11:00 am instead of 10:00 am. Then visit the nearby Tarxien temples afterwards.

Both Hagar Qim and the Tarxien temples are very interesting sites and are quite different from each other as well. There's a nice visitor center at Hagar Qim with some good information.

I've also visited the Domus Romane just outside the Mdina gate, but it sounds like you are more interested in the neolithic sites.

The museum in Valletta is quite good for its size. I hope your plan to visit in the late afternoon will mean it is less crowded -- it tends to get overrun with tour groups in the mornings.

And once again, many thanks for advice, we will use it all! I hope to be getting our reservations for November this weekend. I have a website for bus schedules so I will look at a plan to go to Hagar Qim either first thing in the morning or maybe even our first morning in port, then see the museum that afternoon. That leaves the second day for Hypogeum and the temples, I doubt we'll get up to Mdina but for us the, this trip, the neolithic site are of more interest.

I think it'll all work well, and your great help gives me confidence! m--

I think our plan is coming together!

Day 1 we will learn about transport options - bus, taxi, HOHO bus, etc... and head out to Hagar Qim site, Visitors Center and the Mnajdar Temples. Come back to port by whatever means works, and walk to the Archeological Museum, visit there in the afternoon, last entrance by 5:30pm, then and spend time wandering around Valletta...

Day 2 we will probably take a 10:00am reservation at the Hypogeum, take a taxi there. Enjoy the site, the film presentation and the Tarxien Temples nearby, then make our way back to the ship by bus (or taxi).

From what we've read so far, there is an overwhelming variety of things to do and see in Malta, so we will focus this visit on the very ancient sites. It's all fabulously exciting! Thanks for all the help! m--

If you grab a taxi at the port, a half hour should be more then enough time. We went to the Hypogeum by simply using the local bus (from the bus station on the top of the hill near the port). When we grabbed the bus we allowed ourselves about an hour.. and still got to the place about 25 min early. There is really nothing to do in the immediate area...so if you get there early you can just sit inside (they have some chairs) until they call your time.

As to the bus. its not for everyone as the bus stop is several blocks from the attraction and there were no signs to help us navigate from the bus stop (fortunately I had a map). The return bus was at a different bus stop on a totally different street...a few blocks from the Hypogeum.

Hank

If you grab a taxi at the port, a half hour should be more then enough time. We went to the Hypogeum by simply using the local bus (from the bus station on the top of the hill near the port). When we grabbed the bus we allowed ourselves about an hour.. and still got to the place about 25 min early. There is really nothing to do in the immediate area...so if you get there early you can just sit inside (they have some chairs) until they call your time.

As to the bus. its not for everyone as the bus stop is several blocks from the attraction and there were no signs to help us navigate from the bus stop (fortunately I had a map). The return bus was at a different bus stop on a totally different street...a few blocks from the Hypogeum. Hank

Thanks for sharing your experience Hank, again very practical and encouraging. m--

• 1 month later...

When I look it up on Google maps it says it's 5k from St Johns Cocathedral to the Hypogeum. If people are allowing an hour to take the bus is there any reason we can't just walk it? That would take an hour and at least I would be doing something. ( I hate waiting :loudcry:)

Or can we get a taxi just to here, and have them come back later? It seems silly to pay the taxi guy to sit outside for a couple hours while we explore. Thanks for the help!

When I look it up on Google maps it says it's 5k from St Johns Cocathedral to the Hypogeum. If people are allowing an hour to take the bus is there any reason we can't just walk it? That would take an hour and at least I would be doing something. ( I hate waiting :loudcry:)

Or can we get a taxi just to here, and have them come back later? It seems silly to pay the taxi guy to sit outside for a couple hours while we explore. Thanks for the help!

I remember it being quite a trip from the bus depot to the Hypogeum stop, I wouldn't walk it. Do what a previous poster said, take a taxi there and then once through the Hypogeum walk to the Tarxian temple its only a couple of block (We did the reverse, bus to the temple then walked to the Hypogeum and bus back to Valletta). Or have the taxi drop you off at the temple area and go on from there.

• 1 month later...
I remember it being quite a trip from the bus depot to the Hypogeum stop, I wouldn't walk it. Do what a previous poster said, take a taxi there and then once through the Hypogeum walk to the Tarxian temple its only a couple of block (We did the reverse, bus to the temple then walked to the Hypogeum and bus back to Valletta). Or have the taxi drop you off at the temple area and go on from there.

I did do exactly as the previous post said because I chose to do two private tours but not here. Taxi was inexpensive but we were late so we took a taxi in both directions so in some way it would be smarter we took the tour here :( Anyway the place is nice and we are happy we had a chance to explore it. By the way, we decided to take a private tour with "Mont travelers" in Kotor and "Travelco" in Corfu. This was more relaxing than exploring the town on our own :D

I did do exactly as the previous post said because I chose to do two private tours but not here. Taxi was inexpensive but we were late so we took a taxi in both directions so in some way it would be smarter we took the tour here :( Anyway the place is nice and we are happy we had a chance to explore it. By the way, we decided to take a private tour with "Mont travelers" in Kotor and "Travelco" in Corfu. This was more relaxing than exploring the town on our own :D

I’m interested in knowing more about Corfu. We are only there from 2-8pm, so I figured we have no choice but to explore on our own? What was your tour like?