Lisbon Advice Needed: Easy, short day

Hoping someone can help. I'm almost dizzy from searching threads and websites to figure this port out for our small group of three. We have a short day (9:00 to 4:00, Nov 10) in port near the start of our TA cruise on Jewel. I cannot figure out if there are still three possible places we could dock, or whether all ships now dock at the new cruise terminal. Tried looking at the Lisbon port website, but either I did it wrong, or the info for our ship is not yet showing on that schedule.

We are three people, and one person is recovering from a serious illness. While she is certainly mobile, she will not be strong enough for a lot of walking or hill-climbing. I've ruled out the #28 tram, sadly, because it's probable she won't get a seat and standing for that ride is out of the question for her. Similarly the HOHO, because she'd be done in after a couple of stops.

What I'd really like is if we could take a cab to a walkable area with a few interesting sights nearby where we could look at the architecture, ramble around a little, maybe get one of those famous pastries, look around a bit more, get a nice local-food lunch and people-watch, then get back to the port.

Any advice will be very welcome, because I'm not doing well figuring this out by myself!

In that case you should take a cab to Belem. It's a nice place to wander round. There's the fantastic Discoveries Monument, Belem tower and the Jeronimos Monastery. The famous Pasteis de Belem bakery is also there, with plenty of inside seating.

Its around 10km from Lisbon so not sure how much a taxi would cost, but it will give you the opportunity to see some iconic sites in a small area. Lisbon is a very hilly city but Belem is all on one level. If you don't want to get a cab all the way out there, you could get see if you can get one to take you the short distance into the centre of Lisbon to Praca da Figueira. From here you can catch a tram (no 15) all the way to Belem. The tram starts from this stop so you should have no trouble getting a seat, trams run around every 15 minutes.

Another vote for Belem. We took a tram, you can also take the train, but it is a walk from the station to the main sights.

A further possibility is Cascais. A seaside resort 30 minutes by train, lovely beach to spend the day, few shops, restaurants etc.

I usually look at whatinport -https://www.whatsinport.com/Lisbon.htm

You may have done that already - it has a link to the port schedule but as you say it only has the berths up until 1 October so you will have to wait a while for that.

This site initially used for the E15 Tram

http://lisbon-portugal-guide.com/lisbon-transport/Lisbon-tram-15-route.html

has many links at the bottom that might help..

Whatsinport does suggest that the E15 route goes from the dock area but I couldnt quicklly find a map with it on.

Whatsinport does suggest that the E15 route goes from the dock area but I couldnt quicklly find a map with it on.

We were on a cruise which called in to Lisbon in June this year. I had made plans to catch the train (or tram) from Cais do Sodre as it appeared that the ship would call into the terminal adjacent to that station - this would have been a very easy journey. However the ship berthed at Sta Apolonia, which is where I believe all ships are due to berth in the near future. There was a lot of work going on there whilst we were there to make this the main cruise terminal and I would suspect this is where the OPs ship will dock.

Thank you all so much for your ideas! Very helpful. Sounds like Belem will be just right, and we can decide whether our friend has the energy for the tram on that day.

We were in Lisbon in June. It is a beautiful and fun city. We engaged Carla of My Way Tours for a half day tour. We were able to get an excellent overview and take some wonderful panoramic photos of the city and river from some viewpoints we would never have found on our own. She also took us to Belem. She has a very comfortable van and is an excellent driver and informative guide. I'd highly recommend her in order to get the most out of your day without tiring your friend too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We did the 28 tram many years ago (repeat MANY years ago) but had no trouble getting seats, even though the trams are far from large. We boarded at the beginning of the route. I have no idea if it would be possible to get a seat these days as opposed to 10 years ago.

Proviso: I was seating sideways which I found uncomfortable. But I wasn't standing!

Still, you're probably better off with the Belem suggestion. There is plenty to see there in one day.

Another suggestion is the Tile Museum, which would require a cab (although short from the port, I think). I don't know if you are museum people but this is a place we visit every time we are in Lisbon. It's a wonderful exhibition of tiles starting out from Moorish times and going up to the present.

But there is nothing else immediately near to it, other than a cab stand in front of what used to be a convent.

Hoping someone can help. I'm almost dizzy from searching threads and websites to figure this port out for our small group of three. We have a short day (9:00 to 4:00, Nov 10) in port near the start of our TA cruise on Jewel. I cannot figure out if there are still three possible places we could dock, or whether all ships now dock at the new cruise terminal. Tried looking at the Lisbon port website, but either I did it wrong, or the info for our ship is not yet showing on that schedule.

We are three people, and one person is recovering from a serious illness. While she is certainly mobile, she will not be strong enough for a lot of walking or hill-climbing. I've ruled out the #28 tram, sadly, because it's probable she won't get a seat and standing for that ride is out of the question for her. Similarly the HOHO, because she'd be done in after a couple of stops.

What I'd really like is if we could take a cab to a walkable area with a few interesting sights nearby where we could look at the architecture, ramble around a little, maybe get one of those famous pastries, look around a bit more, get a nice local-food lunch and people-watch, then get back to the port.

Any advice will be very welcome, because I'm not doing well figuring this out by myself!

Given your situation, I would also advise taking a taxi to Belem - the cost split between 3 people would be negligible and your friend would be able to save her energy for exploring Belem on foot. If you begin at the Jeronimos Monastery, the delicious custard tarts served up at Pasteis de Belem is a mere block away. Also in the vicinity (about a 7 minute walk from Pasteis de Belem) is the fabulous National Coach museum (Praca Afonso de Albuquerque).

http://www.golisbon.com/sight-seeing/coaches-museum.html

As others have already mentioned, along the waterfront is the Discoveries Monument and Belem Tower.

We did the 28 tram many years ago (repeat MANY years ago) but had no trouble getting seats, even though the trams are far from large. We boarded at the beginning of the route. I have no idea if it would be possible to get a seat these days as opposed to 10 years ago.

Proviso: I was seating sideways which I found uncomfortable. But I wasn't standing!

Mura, I was just in Lisbon about a month ago and I was amazed at how many more tourists there are now as opposed to my last visit there about 10 years previously. The lines to get into places like the Jeronimos Monastery were extremely long -- so long that people were going instead to the Archaeology Museum next door to buy a combo ticket that would let them into the Monastery -- and even THAT line was about 45 minutes.

The trams and buses were also quite busy. I don't think I was able to get a seat either to or from Belem from Praca do Comercio.