Kotor area - without all the switchbacks

Hi, my husband gets very carsick. Most of the reviews of excursions in the Kotor area say there is a mountain road with 20+ switchbacks for seeing nearby towns.

For those of you who have been to Kotor before, which towns will we be able to see if we want to avoid mountain switchbacks?

Will we have to remain in Kotor proper, or will there be other towns we can see?

Thanks!

Quote:

Will we have to remain in Kotor proper, or will there be other towns we can see?

There is no obligation to take any excursion out of town, and as some rate this as one of their favourite cruise port destinations, staying in Kotor "proper" would not be a hardship as it is a really attractive and interesting town to wander around in. And when you want to rest there are plenty of cafes, restaurants and bars where you can watch the world go by.

If you really want to visit out of town, a public bus or taxi would take you to nearby Perast, (no switchbacks, it is a waterfront route) scenic and much smaller than Kotor, and from here you can take one of the small ferry boats out to Our Lady of the Rocks.

You will pass Perast and Our Lady of the Rocks on the very scenic sail-in to Kotor, which should take around 90 minutes and is worth getting up early for.

See this thread and follow the link to Toms Port Guide of Kotor with excellent info and photos.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2537604

We stayed in Kotor it's a very lovely authentic walled city. If you are physically able, you may hike up to the fort, or halfway up like I did to the old monastery which still holds church services every Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We stayed in Kotor it's a very lovely authentic walled city. If you are physically able, you may hike up to the fort, or halfway up like I did to the old monastery which still holds church services every Sunday.

Appreciate these added posts, ideas and follow-ups. Agree that getting up early for the sail-in is smart and interesting. Also, we liked seeing Perast and Our Lady of the Rocks. Below are a couple of my visuals. More pictures and ideas can be seen through my link below. Keep up the great sharing. Love Kotor and these historic areas.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Wonderful Kotor and nearby Montenegro? Check these postings. Have had over 37,783 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and commented.:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

As you sail in and out of Kotor, you see these two island with church built on them. Near Perast there are two small islands: one is called St. George island, and the other called Gospa od Škrpjela (Our Lady of the Rock), and each has a picturesque chapel. Gospa od Škrpjela is particularly interesting given that it is the only artificially built island in the Adriatic These are not natural island, but built up there over the years. Spectacular sighting.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

2KotorTwoIslandSailIn.jpg

Perast is a few miles northwest of Kotor facing this scenic bay. Perast was at its peak in the 18th century under the Venetian Republic. It had four active shipyards and a fleet of one hundred ships. Many ornate baroque palaces and magnificent dwellings decorated this town that is full of typical Venetian architecture.::

KotorNearbyTownBldgs.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, my husband gets very carsick. Most of the reviews of excursions in the Kotor area say there is a mountain road with 20+ switchbacks for seeing nearby towns.

For those of you who have been to Kotor before, which towns will we be able to see if we want to avoid mountain switchbacks?

Thanks!

Hi, I suggest some of the private tour company for a tour of Perast, Budva, Jaz beach, St.Stefan and maybe one only one switchback above Kotor port. We did it with Mont Travelers for 120euros last year. It was nice friendly and professional, I highly recommend this company but you can find a lot of others with a similar offer. We had an extra hour with no extra fee so it was very nice of them. :halo:

• 1 month later...

Our cruise last spring was very port intensive and in Motor we tendered in leisurely in the morning and visited the old walled town. It is very quaint with narrow passageways and interesting little shops. We found a restaurant in one of the squares that specialized in seafood. We had a delicious lunch of mussels, red or white sauce, a huge bowl for €7,50. The wine was very good too.

Our cruise last spring was very port intensive and in Motor we tendered in leisurely in the morning and visited the old walled town. It is very quaint with narrow passageways and interesting little shops. We found a restaurant in one of the squares that specialized in seafood. We had a delicious lunch of mussels, red or white sauce, a huge bowl for €7,50. The wine was very good too.

I understand there is a charge for walking around the walled town. Do you know the cost?

Thanks,

Susan

I understand there is a charge for walking around the walled town. Do you know the cost?

Thanks,

Susan

There’s no charge walking around the city. There’s a charge if you want to climb to the top to the fort. I forgot how much but not expensive. Our ship got there around 7 am so the guy wasn’t there yet. Lol

There’s no charge walking around the city. There’s a charge if you want to climb to the top to the fort. I forgot how much but not expensive. Our ship got there around 7 am so the guy wasn’t there yet. Lol

Thanks Got2Cruise. I think I was confusing Kotor with Dubrovnik. There is a charge in Dubrovnik.

Susan

Thanks Got2Cruise. I think I was confusing Kotor with Dubrovnik. There is a charge in Dubrovnik.

Susan

Again, getting into the walled city of Dubrovnik there is no charge. If you want to walk along the actually wall, there is a charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums