What to do or see in Lisbon

Hi

I hope this is not too repetitious, but time is sort of running short on us. We are stopping in Lisbon on our cruise for a short day, from 9-4. I have been very lax in doing my homework as to what to do in this port, so any help would be appreciated.

We are seniors but can get abound fairly well. I am an avid photographer so I do like scenery and European locales. We are really not much for museums and churches, but we do fancy old style architecture and old world charm. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. We usually like to do everything on our own, but if a local tour company would give us the best bang for a buck, we would not be opposed.

Cheers

Len

Lisbon is very easy to DIY - do you know where your ship is docking?

Belem is wonderful - especially if you love photography. It is easy to take the tram to Belem (need to know where you are docking to give best options).

Monument to the Discoveries

Jeronimos Monastery (free but fee to enter the cloisters - the Manueline architecture is unique)

Belem Tower

Coaches Museum

Famous Custard tarts - delicious

From Belem, you can take the tram back to Praca do Comercio and maybe take a ride on the elevator (your tram ticket includes the elevator) and do some shopping/eating/sightseeing.

If you would like a good overview, you could look into "we hate tourism tours". We have done two tours with them...one to Sintra and one on the Templars (which I don't think they have anymore). They're based in Lisbon. They also have a tour where you can choose the places you want to see. Just google their name and you will come to their website.

That said, I find taxis quite inexpensive in LIsbon, so you can do some of the things listed above via taxi instead of tram, if your budget allows. We also found the Maritime Museum to be quite interesting, along with their collection of boats in an adjacent building. And in that general area is Pasteis de Belem, the marvellous pastries of Belem. You can eat inside or take some to go. If you go up to the Castle, you'll get a lovely view and photos.

One more thing: take a look at Lisbon's official tourist website here:

https://www.visitlisboa.com/see-and-do/sightseeing-and-activities

Enjoy.

Thanks so much for the helpful hints. I will definitely look into them. Cheers. Len

Was not sure, Len, on your exact schedule or timing for doing Lisbon. Wanted to offer some ideas, tips, suggestions, etc., from our super wonderful five days there in June. Bottom line? We loved Lisbon. But . . . Good news? Bad news? There is so much great, special and unique there to enjoy it all in just one day. Below are some of my visual highlights from our time there. Many more pictures and details can be seen on my live/blog that is connected below. Agree that the Jeronimos Monastery is one of the "best of the best" highlights for visiting Lisbon. Plus, just walking around and sampling the great character, history and architecture for in and around their main business area.

From the major NewsCorp newspapers in Australia in the past week, they have this headline: Lisbon, Portugal: What to do in 24 hours with these highlights: While not as well known on the tourist route as its glamorous counterparts, Lisbon is one of western Europe’s sunniest and prettiest cities and home to great sites of history. However, unlike Paris, you don’t need a full week to get a sense of what is the heart of this city. All you need is a day, two, to experience fascinating museums, beautiful churches, tasty food and sites that were just made for Instagram. Located on the Iberian Coast, Lisbon experiences Mediterranean weather, soaking its colourful light.

This profile offers lots of visuals, ideas, tips, etc., to consider. It brought back nice memories from our fun in Lisbon. Loved being in and around Rossio Square. This is one of Portugal's most prestigious locations and settings.

Full story at:

http://www.news.com.au/travel/world-travel/europe/lisbon-portugal-what-to-do-in-24-hours/news-story/8f0d549316bd8bff628a90d10a9fde7d

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Just finished June 2017 sailing from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

Here is only a small sampling for some of the sights we enjoyed in lovely and charming Lisbon. Do any of these bring back memories for those who have previously been to Lisbon? Like the sunny blue skies? First is the Lisbon Cathedral or the Sé de Lisboa. This Patriarchal Cathedral is the oldest church in the city with its construction starting in 1147. It has been modified many times and survived many earthquakes. Second is one of Lisbon’s famed electric trams. The third, fourth and fifth pictures are from the spectacular Jerónimos Monastery with its main church and cloister.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

June%202017A%201548_zpsn7bano7d.jpg

June%202017A%201547_zps1ciugdwe.jpg

June%202017A%201549_zpsfkbma0cv.jpg

June%202017A%201552_zpsxdnoc3jb.jpg

June%202017A%201551_zpshtbqoti1.jpg

Here is another visual sample from our first visit to Lisbon. We rode around in a fun Tuk Tuk vehicle to see parts of hilly old town areas and gained an introductory sample of this part of Lisbon getting ready for its big festival. This visual shows part of the Praça do Comércio (Commerce Square) with its Rua Augusta Arch. This square is commonly known as Terreiro do Paço or in English as the Palace Yard. The statue in the foreground is of King José I with the ruler on his horse symbolically crushing snakes on his path.:

June%202017A%201543_zpsowhenzlq.jpg

Thanks Terry. We have such a short window in Lisbon that we want to be able to take full advantage of our short time there. I think we will book some sort of 1/2 day tour and then see what we can fit in for the rest of the time.

Good hearing from you again.

Cheers

Len

Thanks Terry. We have such a short window in Lisbon that we want to be able to take full advantage of our short time there. I think we will book some sort of 1/2 day tour and then see what we can fit in for the rest of the time. Good hearing from you again. Cheers Len

Appreciate your nice follow-up. Sounds like a good plan with your limited schedule there. As mentioned, we super loved Lisbon and you want to be able to maximize your limited time there in that historic and charming city. Let us know any added questions.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 186,959 views for this posting.

• 4 weeks later...

I will be arriving in Lisbon about mid-day on a Tuesday and I have a full day Lisbon tour booked for the next day but would like to do something for that first afternoon. I'm interested in seeing the Jerónimos Monastery but wondering the best way to get there from the St Apolonia de Jusante cruise port and if this is doable in an afternoon or if someone has another suggestion for a few hours that first half day.