Luggage stolen from train

planner123456

Post-cruise we took the train from Rome to Venice. We had two large suitcases (too large for overhead shelf) so we left them in the luggage rack at the front of the train car. My husband saw them there about an hour before we reached Venice, but one of them was stolen before we reached our stop. No fun to spend the first hour in Venice reporting the theft and filling out a police report. Good news is that trip insurance should cover some of the loss. Be aware!!!

Gosh that sucks. I had a friend that had that happen to as well somewhere between Rome and Florence. I read a tip once about using a bike lock to lock the suitcases together so harder for a thief to steal. While we haven't done that we may need to think about it again for our next Med trip

Thanks for the warning/reminder.

I know I tend to be a little more complacent on the high-speed trains because there are fewer stops and one somehow assumes less likely to harbor criminals that steal luggage. But with that reminder I will continue to either try to get seats where my luggage is in view or (what I've often done), get up and stand by my luggage when the train is approaching a stop.

Real bummer but, unfortunately, this is nothing new in Italy (or Europe). Year ago we used to post warnings about this problem, but hadn't seen a theft case posted here in several years. Personally, we tend to use rental cars since we find its a better option for us when it comes to both luggage and our personal freedom. But if one does take European trains and will need to leave some luggage at the end of the car (the norm for larger pieces) we suggest getting a Luggage Cable Lock. We have had one for many years (ours locks with a built-in combination lock) which we used to secure our luggage together and then lock it around something on the train. Here is a link to a newer model:

https://www.amazon.com/Pacsafe-Retractasafe-Cable-Lock-Color/dp/B001RW167G/ref=pd_sim_198_7?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=BKZFWMGMKVC1BJ6FG3Z1

We used this device more often then one would expect. Sometimes we have used it if we are just leaving (for a few minutes) our luggage in a hotel lobby. Its also great in trains and I have also used it when we had luggage in the back of a hatchback-type car.

Hank

I know it's too late for you, but it may help others. If we plan to take trains, I carry a bicycle chain / lock.

Even if it's not possible to chain the luggage to a rack or other structure, we tie or stuff together.

If it looks too big, heavy or cumbersome to carry, thieves will take something easier...🔒🔐🔗

If you are planning to do a lot of train travel, you might want to get a chain with a separate good quality lock, or a good bicycle chain lock. It doesn't matter whether the lock is TSA or not, because you cannot check luggage tied by a chain in an airplane. The smaller, retractable locks are ok if the luggage is very near you where you can spot someone trying to take it. However, if it is going to be out of sight for a while, like in the train, you need a good lock. The retractable ones are easier to break open.

If you are planning to do a lot of train travel, you might want to get a chain with a separate good quality lock, or a good bicycle chain lock. It doesn't matter whether the lock is TSA or not, because you cannot check luggage tied by a chain in an airplane. The smaller, retractable locks are ok if the luggage is very near you where you can spot someone trying to take it. However, if it is going to be out of sight for a while, like in the train, you need a good lock. The retractable ones are easier to break open.

LOL my friend. Who knew that you were even more cynical than moi? :). The situation in parts of Europe is almost comical. When we drive (especially in France or Spain) and have luggage in our car we are usually careful to never leave our car unattended. So when we are rest stops along the Autostrade (especially south of Rome) DW and I will take shifts going into the facility while the other stays with the car. But some pensioners (retirees) in Italy have become entrepreneurs. They now work some of the large rest stop and offer to watch your car (and guard your valuables) for a few Euros. It another reason we love Italy !

Hank

LOL my friend. Who knew that you were even more cynical than moi? :). The situation in parts of Europe is almost comical. When we drive (especially in France or Spain) and have luggage in our car we are usually careful to never leave our car unattended. So when we are rest stops along the Autostrade (especially south of Rome) DW and I will take shifts going into the facility while the other stays with the car. But some pensioners (retirees) in Italy have become entrepreneurs. They now work some of the large rest stop and offer to watch your car (and guard your valuables) for a few Euros. It another reason we love Italy !

Hank

Now, Hank, me a cynic? Never!

BTW - beware of larcenous pensioners . . . :D

WOW, sorry to hear that someone stole your luggage. We will be taking the train a couple of times while in Rome. Can you tell me what size bag fits in the overhead? I don't think I will be able to just bring a carry on due to bringing my snorkel gear, but I am thinking I will be able to fit everything in a 24" suitcase. Will that fit in the overhead? I like the tip on chaining them together,so thanks everyone for all your good tips. This is our first trip to Europe, and I am trying to figure transportation issues out before I get there.

Hank

We stay in France for 5-6 months each year and spend about 6 weeks or so of that time camping in our trailer tent - obviously tent canvas is a poor theft deterrent! We stay away from large cities and use 'Camping Municipal' sites - we also park our car, loaded with camera bags, sundry camping equipment and other kit that I am amazed that we think we'll need (!) and have never had a problem - we returned from France yesterday to Scotland and had 2 suitcases, 2 luggage bags, 2 camera bags, the remains of our neighbour's gift of organic potatoes, boxes of breakfast cereals for the 2 days travel (told you what we pack is bizarre), and, to top it all off, we stopped at a Camping Shop to collect a sun canopy for 2018 camping holidays! We had so much stuff in the car that the hatchback parcel shelf couldn't sit in its mounts so it was relegated to the rear footwell and the sun canopy wedged on top! Everything was visible - perhaps we have just been lucky - or, as the Ferry Security Guard said when he asked to inspect the car contents, 'Nobody would know where to begin if they wanted to rob your car ...' - one of the nicer insults I've been on the receiving end of! My neighbour describes the interior of my car as 'une pagaille' - a shambles, a mess, mayhem! CHAOS Theory applied to the car interior! :D One day it will all go wrong, but our neighbours in France still watch with wry amusement when we lock our front doors - the benefits of living an a rural setting!

Edited by marchie1053
Clarity

WOW, sorry to hear that someone stole your luggage. We will be taking the train a couple of times while in Rome. Can you tell me what size bag fits in the overhead? I don't think I will be able to just bring a carry on due to bringing my snorkel gear, but I am thinking I will be able to fit everything in a 24" suitcase. Will that fit in the overhead? I like the tip on chaining them together,so thanks everyone for all your good tips. This is our first trip to Europe, and I am trying to figure transportation issues out before I get there.

As an example: my largest bag that I've taken on a trip in Europe (since I started traveling solo) is my Osprey Sojourn convertible rolling bag (it's a roller and has good supportive backpack straps for when I need to carry over rough terrain). It's dimensions are 25x14x14. I can easily put it up in the overhead in the First Class section of all the Trenitalia trains I've traveled on (including the Leonardo to/from FCO).

I always have my cable lock with me. It's not just for trains. I'll lock a bag in a hotel room (yes, in sketchy areas, I'll find something to lock it to - even a bathroom drain pipe!), I'll lock a bag in my rental car. It's not just Europe - I'll lock my bag in the US, too...

As an example: my largest bag that I've taken on a trip in Europe (since I started traveling solo) is my Osprey Sojourn convertible rolling bag (it's a roller and has good supportive backpack straps for when I need to carry over rough terrain). It's dimensions are 25x14x14. I can easily put it up in the overhead in the First Class section of all the Trenitalia trains I've traveled on (including the Leonardo to/from FCO).

I always have my cable lock with me. It's not just for trains. I'll lock a bag in a hotel room (yes, in sketchy areas, I'll find something to lock it to - even a bathroom drain pipe!), I'll lock a bag in my rental car. It's not just Europe - I'll lock my bag in the US, too...

Thank you for the info.

Cissy

The advice about chaining luggage together is wise. The trains I have travelled on in UK, Spain, Japan and US have all had room for carry ons in the luggage racks, but bigger suitcases do not look safe (to me sitting under them!) . My technique is to try and keep the case in view, if not to make sure I get up and check it as we approach stations. It is less trouble than having to report a theft to the police.

I am so sorry this happened to you. I hope it was a case of someone simply mistaking the bag for his - but I doubt it. There is a lot of this that goes on not only in Italy but here in Switzerland too. We use the wire cable/combi locks on our suitcases in trains. Even if we cannot find a bar or something to pass the cable around we can cable them together and no one is going to attempt to take two large suitcases cabled together off a train. We are taking a train from here to Venice in November for our cruise - cable and lock is already on my list to take.

I still hope though that the case will get back to you...

No surprise. And be especially mindful of those helpful buddies that offer to lift your bags onto the train and store them for you. One reason we switched to carry on bags only was train travel. Carrying them up and down the track underpasses, lifting them on to the the coaches and then into the bins was inconvenient. Plus our desire to keep them near us at all times in case of theft.

I am sorry that happened to you. When my son was in high school, he joined to group to tour Europe. His suitcase was stolen when they travelled by train. We had travel insurance and were eventually reimbursed. However, it was not fun for him to be there and have only the few items he kept in his backpack. The tour group leader took him to buy some things, but it wasn't the same. It was a bit funny when he came home with the skimpy European underwear instead of the boxers he left with. That's all he could find. LOL

I just want to mention for the benefit of all of you considering "carry on" only luggage.

MANY low cost airlines within Europe, and increasingly even full service airlines WILL now weigh your carry on luggage. Anything above their stipulated weight, usually between 7 and 10 kg will either attract a costly per kg charge or you will need to check it in (often at cost).

And don't try to sneak a bag past the check-in counters. More often than not there will be someone with a set of scales at the boarding gate...

Airlines are waking up to this nice money earner

• 1 month later...
Post-cruise we took the train from Rome to Venice. We had two large suitcases (too large for overhead shelf) so we left them in the luggage rack at the front of the train car. My husband saw them there about an hour before we reached Venice, but one of them was stolen before we reached our stop. No fun to spend the first hour in Venice reporting the theft and filling out a police report. Good news is that trip insurance should cover some of the loss. Be aware!!!

Pay attention to the gipsy... lots of pick pocket too in Rome Venice Barcelona