Is Europe Cruise suitable for kids and elder?

talltallling

Hi Everyone.I'm struggling if we should book a cruise to Europe with 3 kids (6,3,infant) and my parents (60's). Is it a lot of walking in each port? Is there anything to do if we prefer to stay close to port? This is mainly a family trip but my hubby would like to do some sight seeing in Europe. Any suggestions welcome.

Day 1 Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy

Day 2 Palemo, (Sicily), Italy

Day 3 Cagliari (Sardinia), Italy

Day 4 Palma De Mallorca, Spain

Day 5 Valencia, Spain

Day 6 Marseille/Provence, France

Day 7 Genoa (Milan), Italy

Day 8 Rome, Italy

Each child is different but from my own experience I would say to do this you have to pace yourselves.

Parent's in 60's will be fine. If it is summer though it will be very hot and humid.

I would not recommend formal tours for the family because of the children and I would not plan more then a few hours at a time because of the children.

Keith

Each child is different but from my own experience I would say to do this you have to pace yourselves.

Parent's in 60's will be fine. If it is summer though it will be very hot and humid.

I would not recommend formal tours for the family because of the children and I would not plan more then a few hours at a time because of the children.

Keith

Thanks. My children will most be on stroller as they are not use to long walks (we drive everywhere at home). Would it be hard to get around? Also, are the ports very far from the city?

Actually none of the ports is really stroller friendly and you might find lots of cobblestones or uneven pavement.

As for the ports:

Civitavecchia is about 1.5 hours by train from Rome.

Palermo - you dock pretty close to downtown but you have to walk a little uphill. The HoHo bus might be a good option.

Palma de Mallorca - the port is a bit away from downtown. Depending on where you dock exactly it´s a short walk to the public bus stop (1.50 Euro single ride) or an 830 m walk (usually there is a shuttle bus offered from this location). You will find the HoHo bus at the main port area.

Marseille - the port is outside of the city but there is a free shuttle bus offered. They won´t tell you and it´s about 10-15 min walking but easy to find (just follow the green line on the floor)

Genoa - the port is in the downtown area but also uphill streets and cobblestones

steamboats

Of course this is just personal opinion, but I don't think that a cruise is the way to visit Europe with children that young.

Europe is challenging with children in many ways, regardless of how you travel. There is a lot of walking involved and older cities have uneven walking surfaces making them less than ideal for strollers.

A land vacation, based in one location for an extended period of time, allows a family with young children to adjust somewhat. A cruise never gives you enough time in any one location and you are always on the move, things are always changing. That makes for unsettled children and stressed out parents.

I'd feel differently if you had only one very young child and several adults to help cope with his/her needs, but even with four adults and three kids when they are this young you are essentially outnumbered.

Have you traveled for long periods of time with an infant? They require an inordinate amount of stuff - diapers, laundry, formula maybe, etc, which could take up a lot of luggage space. You may have a hard time resupplying if you run out of something. Will you have a car seat for the infant?

I think a stroller would be more doable on this route than our Baltic ports. There were less extreme cobblestones on the Med, for whatever reason. Genoa has a nice downtown port with an aquarium and museum, and an old town that was fairly easy to walk around.

We did that exact same cruise route this summer on MSC. You could consider private tours. We had our guides meet us at the ship or at the front of the port each time. That way you could go at your own pace, stop if the kids need a break, and do what would suit the ages of your group. It will be hot when you are there. We're from Texas and even we were wilting after a few hours outside.

It's definitely doable, but logistically it's more challenging than if all the kids are 5 and older.

Hi Everyone.I'm struggling if we should book a cruise to Europe with 3 kids (6,3,infant) and my parents (60's). Is it a lot of walking in each port? Is there anything to do if we prefer to stay close to port? This is mainly a family trip but my hubby would like to do some sight seeing in Europe. Any suggestions welcome.

Day 5 Valencia, Spain

Day 8 Rome, Italy

Two suggestions- book resort close to your house and enjoy beach and sand with kids, or leave kids home and go to Europe. Europe cruise is all about history and walking .

I am guessing you are somewhere in North America, so there is also the problem of two long haul flights with all those small children. Probably not an enjoyable experience! Have you flown longhaul with them before?

Hi. I flew to asia (16 hr flight) last year with my 4 and 1 yr. it was ok and they behaved very well. Also cruised with my oldest when he was 10 months and it was great (yes, with one kid)

I want this trip to be relax.. that way I can get off each port jus for say 2 hrs and back on the boat? Relax and some nice picture of Europe would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Read my post, yes, in some ports you can just get off and walk around a little.

My suggestion would be to go with the HoHo busses which are offered in almost every port. You can sit on the bus and relax and still see a lot. And you can decide on where to get off and spend some time walking.

I haven´t been to Cagliari and Valencia yet. But Genova and Palermo you can just walk off the ship. For Marseille and Palma you have to use some kind of transport to the city.

steamboats

In Palma, the ship sold tickets for their shuttle which drops you off across from the cathedral. From the looks of it, that is where most ships have a drop-off. Palma would be very easy to use a stroller, and it has long, wide green spaces with sidewalks that would be ideal for kids to run.

In Cagliari you are far from the town as well. Sardinia has beautiful beaches, particularly "pocket" beaches tucked along the shore line. It might be worth renting a car or getting a driver to do that with the kids. We stopped at one with a food truck with tables and umbrellas, nice sand, crystal clear water, that was protected from the winds. Our kids had a blast.

I want this trip to be relax.. that way I can get off each port jus for say 2 hrs and back on the boat? Relax and some nice picture of Europe would be great.

If you decide to do it, please allow yourselves a few days in Rome before or after the cruise. You can base yourselves in a central area and at least see some of the sights -- it would be a shame (at least to me) to only pass through Rome and see nothing of it....

What ship are you thinking of? If it is a larger ship, they will not be able to dock in Seville itself. Most dock a long way away and then you have to either pay for the ship's transportation or get yourselves there somehow. Very small ships (like 300-400 passengers, not sure how much larger) can dock IN Seville, which is very nice and easy.

I have been to all of these ports , I live in Spain and I think all are doable with young children , there is a nice beach in cittivecia for the kids Rome might be a bit difficult ,I'd let the olds do it themselves ,

Valencia has a wonderful maritime museum that the kids would love.

It could be an idea to stay on board at one of the ports when the ship is empty to have a break.

There will be loads of other kids on board and kids clubs so ther will make friends ,,,by the way , I think European children are less cosseted than Americans

Read my post, yes, in some ports you can just get off and walk around a little.

My suggestion would be to go with the HoHo busses which are offered in almost every port. You can sit on the bus and relax and still see a lot. And you can decide on where to get off and spend some time walking.

I haven´t been to Cagliari and Valencia yet. But Genova and Palermo you can just walk off the ship. For Marseille and Palma you have to use some kind of transport to the city.

steamboats

Would you mind sending the link for your post? Tried to search and no luck .. I’m not too familiar with this forum yet...

Would you mind sending the link for your post? Tried to search and no luck .. I’m not too familiar with this forum yet...

Hi; steamboats is referring to their previous response to your post. It shows up as the 4th entry.

The issue should be whether its worth it for the parents :). Running around Europe with a 3 year old and infant is not my idea of fun. The infant will not remember any of the trip and if the weather is hot (this can happen in parts of Europe during the summer months) you might have to restrict activities to protect the children. One can certainly have a big debate/discussion on what is the best age to start taking children on ambitious trips. We traveled with our DD from when she was quite young and started her on Caribbean cruising when she was 5 (she still remembers her first cruise....more than 30 years later). As to Europe, we thought 8 was about the age where she really appreciated travel. At that age we could even take her in a Museum....and she had some interest in various pieces of art (she insisted we take her to see the Mona Lisa).

I might get flamed.....but I do not consider it fair...to drag a toddler through a place like Pompeii....on a hot day. On the other hand, there is an excellent Aquarium within walking distance of the port....while in Genoa. A 3 year old might enjoy looking at all the fish...but the infant will likely do what infants do...which is eat, sleep, cry....eat, sleep cry...and perhaps giggle :).

Hank

The issue should be whether its worth it for the parents :). Running around Europe with a 3 year old and infant is not my idea of fun. The infant will not remember any of the trip and if the weather is hot (this can happen in parts of Europe during the summer months) you might have to restrict activities to protect the children. One can certainly have a big debate/discussion on what is the best age to start taking children on ambitious trips. We traveled with our DD from when she was quite young and started her on Caribbean cruising when she was 5 (she still remembers her first cruise....more than 30 years later). As to Europe, we thought 8 was about the age where she really appreciated travel. At that age we could even take her in a Museum....and she had some interest in various pieces of art (she insisted we take her to see the Mona Lisa).

I might get flamed.....but I do not consider it fair...to drag a toddler through a place like Pompeii....on a hot day. On the other hand, there is an excellent Aquarium within walking distance of the port....while in Genoa. A 3 year old might enjoy looking at all the fish...but the infant will likely do what infants do...which is eat, sleep, cry....eat, sleep cry...and perhaps giggle :).

Hank

I agree that it will be tough on the parents. And the kids. Europe cruises are always a lot of walking and usually not on nice even sidewalks. And lots of history in which the kids are not going to last that long.

If you are set on doing this trip I would suggest finding kid-friendly activities in every port and limit the number of "normal tours" that are the long walking and talking history. Maybe take turns with all the adults on who gets to watch the kids and who will tour the port. Find a nice park or beach and relax with your mom on the beach with a picnic of course including wine while the guys do their tour thing. Maybe meet for happy hour after their tour is done

There are ways it can be done. I think everyone would just need to make sure their expectations are in line with keeping the kids reasonably content so the adults are stressed out either.

We waited until our youngest was about 11 before we did our first Med cruise and have done 3 since. We were all active and everyone was able to keep up, but even then the youngest needed to go back early and nap to adjust to the time change.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Day 5 Valencia, Spain

Day 8 Rome, Italy

In my opinion it is never too early to expose your kids to other cultures! It can't always be Disneyland!! Take them and they will love it!!! Travel the world with them and you will amazing well traveled and worldly kids!

Although my DD is almost 18 yo I have to agree with Lollipop´s Mom. We took our DD on her first cruise (BTW Illinois river and we´re from Germany) at the age of 18 months. Her first blue water cruise was at the age of 7 years and that was Western Caribbean. I´ve been on many land trips to Italy and the first one was when I was 3 yo. And yes, I do remember some details but of course nothing of any sights.

Sure I planned our trips with our DD and of course we didn´t plan an 8 hour sightseeing trip covering all the ruins a place has to offer. No we planned shorter excursions and tried to find a playground close to the landing of the boat. Later we added stuff like zoos and aquariums. You can always find a kid friendly excursion. Usually you have to plan this on your own.

BTW it was our DD who insisted in going to Rome to visit the Colosseum when she was hardly 9 yo. That plan didn´t work out that day because there was an extremly long line. But we returned to Civitavecchia a couple of months later and there we went. No line, great day!

Our DD was 6 yo on her first Danube river cruise. Yes, you even can find some kid friendly stuff there. We went to the Spanish Horse Riding School in Vienna and the ferris wheel. We had a Puszta tour in Budapest.

And next summer that little girl is going on her first cruise on her own with two friends (both new cruisers). That´s what she wanted for her upcoming 18th birthday.

So you can cruise with kids whereever you want to!

steamboats

following. I just booked a med cruise for summer 2019 - my kids will be almost 4 and almost 7 at the time. This will be their first "grown up" vacation (other than cruising caribbean, going to disney world, staying local, etc) My daughter has been on 2 caribbean cruises and to disney 3 times with another booked for 2018. It's time I planned a more adventurous trip. She's 5 now and excited about italy -- she "visited there" in her pre-K class last year during passport week.

To travel with littles, to me, it's all about managing expectations - ours and theirs. We need to ensure they know what they're in for and we need to take a step back and ensure they are not getting overwhelmed. We need to be agile and be able to change based on them. I think its doable (or at least I'm hoping) :)

One word of advice to parents: bring children's medication with you. What we call 'Calpol', I think you may call it Tylenol (paracetamol/acetaminophen). We shared a table with a family with young children on a MSC Med cruise. The little boy of about two got ill and they had nothing to give him. The ship's doctor is only available at limited times and very expensive for such minor matters and foreign pharmacies difficult to communicate with.

following. I just booked a med cruise for summer 2019 - my kids will be almost 4 and almost 7 at the time. This will be their first "grown up" vacation (other than cruising caribbean, going to disney world, staying local, etc) My daughter has been on 2 caribbean cruises and to disney 3 times with another booked for 2018. It's time I planned a more adventurous trip. She's 5 now and excited about italy -- she "visited there" in her pre-K class last year during passport week.

To travel with littles, to me, it's all about managing expectations - ours and theirs. We need to ensure they know what they're in for and we need to take a step back and ensure they are not getting overwhelmed. We need to be agile and be able to change based on them. I think its doable (or at least I'm hoping) :)

Sounds to me like you all will do great. Managing expectations and knowing everyone's limits is the key to exposing young kids (and new travelers, and teen kids...) to all the fun travel experiences we love.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We're booked on basically this same cruise - except on the MSC Orchestra - for March. We will have people with the following ages: 6, 10, 19, 20, 43, 50, 55, 57, 82, 83. It's a little overwhelming trying to figure out what to do in each port to make everyone happy! I confess we are contemplating cancelling the cruise. I'm not sure how patient my littlest will be with the all the historical stuff. My 10 year old is super bright and observant and into history and social studies, so I think he'll mostly groove on it. But then my MIL and SIL are a little unsteady on their feet and tire easily. Oy. Anyway, good luck!