Info needed for getting to the ship.

TinkBellaMom

We will be landing @ Rome a week ahead of cruise on Jewel in Sept. 2018.

We have planned on using Florence as a home base for a few side trips and then traveling to the port for our cruise.

My question is what is the best way to accomplish this with luggage? And approximate cost. The trip to Florence is clear to me, it’s getting to the port I’m worried about. I am a planner and I am trying to set up a reasonable budget for the trip.

Thank you!

Define "best".

If you look down the board there are many threads on using private transfers and the train. Those are the most common. Using the train, as mentioned here many times, requires the ability to lug your bags around. Private transfer, on the other hand, takes you direct from your hotel to your ship. We use Rome in Limo, a very high quality outfit.

We were on a MSC cruise in October that finished in Civitavecchia from where we got the train to Pisa for a three night stay. The train also goes to Florence. Have a look on the Trenitalia website for time and prices, I think we paid 19 Euros for a one way ticket. You can get to Civitavecchia from Florence, it just takes a bit longer then from Rome. We hired a car when in Pisa and travelled to Lucca, Bologna, Ducati and Ferrari museums. Lovely part of the world.

You could also rent a car and drive yourself, there are several different rental car companies near the port. To avoid the ZTLs in Florence the best way to do this would be to go to the airport and rent there, which adds a bit to the cost.

I rented a car from Europcar in Florence near the river and drove to Civitavecchia with a stop in Siena. The cost was $55eu because they don’t charge a drop off fee within Italy. The Europcar in Civitavecchia is about 70 yards from the cruise port shuttle stop.

Very easy driving highway with a gps.