VENICE -- what to see, where to stay, getting around

azhadley

How long are you staying in Venice area, and is this your first visit?

I was just in Murano a few weeks ago (late fall trip -- less crowds). The main area is pretty crowded with glass shops most of which, frankly, are not of particularly good quality.

We had lunch at a terrific place that I had researched in advance (with a Michelin mention), Trattoria Busa alla Torre:

http://www.venetianrestaurants.it/ristoranti_eccellenza/content/view/?id=2521&Itemid=663&lang=en

I'm not sure I'd want to stay in Murano though -- what is the attraction for you?

We stayed in Murano this past October for one night after our cruise. It was beautiful! We stayed at the Murano Palace, which was absolutely wonderful. Cute hotel, reasonable prices, especially compared to Venice proper. Nice breakfast. Murano was busy with tourists shopping for glass during the day, but as soon as evening came on, the tourists cleared out and the town was quiet and lovely for walking. We enjoyed a delicious fish dinner for 4 and then wandered around the town afterwards. The owner of Murano Palace has a son who owns a restaurant as well. We had lunch there and it was very tasty. Sorry, but I don't remember the name. If you stay at the Palace, the owner will tell you the name of the restaurant. Michelle Obama ate there once too! The best thing about Murano was being able to take a vaporetto to the airport the next day! When do we ever get to do that?!

I will warn you, however, about Venice and fog in October. We had no idea that this was a thing at this time of year, but the start of our cruise was delayed significantly due to fog. Consequently our itinerary was changed and we did not get the cruise we signed up for. Very disappointing. Ships were blocked from entering the port because the port was closed for the fog. Once it lifted, the locals decided to have a small boat regatta in the canal (apparently they really hate cruise ships and will do this from time to time to upset schedules), which then delayed our cruise even more. The folks who were on the previous cruise ended up missing their flights home as well. It was quite the mess. This was with RCI. We would not cruise with them again because of how everything was handled.

Venice, on the other hand, was beautiful!

We're going to be spending 5 nights in Venice pre-cruise next year - last week in Oct. I'll be following this thread for tips too! Cruisemom42, that restaurant looks great!!

We were there in "way off" season, so we didn't make a reservation, but if going peak season I'd recommend one. We were also lucky enough to have a nice sunny day (though on the cool side) and we ate outside. The food and the setting were both perfect. They are only open for lunch.

We were there in "way off" season, so we didn't make a reservation, but if going peak season I'd recommend one. We were also lucky enough to have a nice sunny day (though on the cool side) and we ate outside. The food and the setting were both perfect. They are only open for lunch.

Thank you! We just booked our airfare for next year - the trip always seems more real once air is booked!!