Venice to Florence by train from Pacific Princess

Quilting Queen

We will be in Venice port for 2 days, April 1 & 2, 2018, Easter Sunday overnight in Venice until Monday. We have never been to Venice. We dock at 7:00 am on Sunday and depart at 6:00 pm Monday. I know we will need to allow at least 1/2 hour to exit the ship.

We want to visit Florence. There is a high speed train taking 2 hours each way. I already have the train schedule. We would be able to spend the day in Florence.

What would be the best way to get to the train station? Water taxi or street taxi? Which train station would be best?

How long will it take to go thru customs in Venice from the ship?

Thanks for any help.

Norine

You can take a land taxi to the Mestre train station -- probably the easiest if you're coming directly from the ship.

The other option is to take the People Mover from the port to Piazzale Roma and then walk the short distance to the train station from there.

One question though -- if you have never been in Venice, why are you headed to Florence?

Also keep in mind that on Easter Sunday a lot of things will be closed, and in Florence on Monday most museums are also closed.

One question though -- if you have never been in Venice, why are you headed to Florence?
My question also. Consider enjoying Venice on your overnight there and do Florence at another time.

Since you are calling on EU ports prior to your arrival in Venice, there should be no customs processing required.

We decided to do the World Cruise in 2018 mainly due to itinerary and our age and health conditions. Since we don't plan to fly anymore this is the best way to get to that part of the Med. We have overnight in Venice so can see the things we are interested in on Monday. I figured the museums would be closed on Monday. We want to see Florence because we won't get back to that part of the world in our lifetime. We will be doing a ship tour of Venice on Monday. Morning trains leave Venice at 8:30 and 10:30. Since it is a 2 hour ride I figure we will have at least 4-6 hours in Florence.

I want to see all of the masters art work in Florence. I think that is reason enough to visit Florence.

Norine

On Easter Sunday in 2017, the Uffizi and Accademia were both open, but the Duomo museum, dome, and baptistery (one of my favorite spots) were closed.

It will be very crowded in Florence on Easter Sunday, so I'd definitely get advance reservations if you want to visit the major museums.

I was just in Florence with my son; we had 4 days and it was not enough to see everything -- I had to pick and choose what to show him. I can't imagine 4-6 hours, :eek: but if it's your dream then go for it.

Thank you cruisemom42 for the information. Basically the only place I want to visit in Florence is the Uffizi for all of the paintings and sculpture. I figure we can get lunch in Florence and see the museum. I figure we don't have anything like that here in Arizona and we don't plan to go back to Europe, not enough time in this lifetime.

Norine

Buongiorno, Quilting,

Book the early train. Make sure you book your Uffizi tickets online:

https://www.uffizi.it/en/the-uffizi

The center of Florence is very compact. Take some time to look around.

Have a wonderful trip.

Thank you very much. This will help make up for the trip we had to cancel for October 2017 so we could take the world cruise.

Norine

Norine,

Easter Sunday will be April 1, 2018. Since it is the first Sunday of the month admission will be free; no tickets are sold for that day. If you do go, take the earliest train and get to the museum ASAP. You will have to stand in line to get in. Hopefully, it will be easier earlier rather than after lunch.

Good luck.

Norine,

Easter Sunday will be April 1, 2018. Since it is the first Sunday of the month admission will be free; no tickets are sold for that day. If you do go, take the earliest train and get to the museum ASAP. You will have to stand in line to get in. Hopefully, it will be easier earlier rather than after lunch.

Good luck.

Thank you very much for the museum information.

If we take the 8:30 train we should arrive by 11:00 am. Is there a cafe inside the Effizi so we can get lunch there?

Norine

If we take the 8:30 train we should arrive by 11:00 am. Is there a cafe inside the Effizi so we can get lunch there?

Norine

There is a cafeteria in the Uffizi but I wouldn't recommend it. Service is very slow, prices are high and choice is limited. You'd be better off getting a snack at the rail station in Florence to tide you over (the station has a couple of "grab and go" type stores with sandwiches, drinks, etc.). Once done with the Uffizi if you want to take the time to eat lunch there are literally dozens of choices within a couple of blocks. For atmosphere, Piazza Signoria is close by and you can look at the statues and the Palazzo Vecchio while you eat.

Norine

Yes, there is. It is on the second floor with a terrace that has a nice view over Florence. It comes pretty much at the end of your walk through the galleries if you follow the normal route. You would be going against the traffic if you went there first. You might want to bring some snacks or a sandwich with you on the train to have just before you get to the station. That should tide you over for lunch there or at one of the many wonderful restaurants in the city.

One of our favorite restaurants is Buca dell'Orafo which is behind the Uffizi and near the Ponte Vecchio. But there are many options including snack places if you don't want to spend the time sitting down for a meal.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Buca+dell'Orafo/@43.7722486,11.2570494,16.25z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x132a5400654f736f:0xb01f8744fbcf356f!8m2!3d43.768454!4d11.253986?hl=en

To get there walk down the Uffizzi Piazza towards the back of the building. It is right on the river. Turn right towards the Ponte Vecchio. After lunch take a look at the bridge and then walk back on the street that leads from the bridge into the city. This takes you to the cathedral square. At the very least, walk around the Baptistry to look at the doors that face the Cathedral. They are the Gates of Paradise.

From there, make your way back to the train station or, if you have time, continue up to Piazza San Marco by the Accademia. Then visit the Museo di San Marco to see Fra Angelico's paintings. There is seldom a line there while the world is standing in line to get into the Accademia. If you prefer, instead of San Marco, go to the Basilica di San Lorenzo which is more or less between the Cathedral and the station. It has Michelangelo's Medici tombs.

http://www.operamedicealaurenziana.org/en/opening-hours-and-tickets/