Hilton Molino Stucky (Venice) to Cruise Port

lcrenshw

My husband and I will be staying in Venice for a few days prior to our ship's departure. We'll be at the Hilton Molino Stucky hotel, which is actually on Giudecca, and would like to know the best way to get from the hotel to the cruise ship, keeping in mind large pieces of luggage.

Unfortunately I don't have any good suggestions but I thought I'd comment that I'll be doing the same trip myself so I'm hoping somebody has a good route. Failing that my own plan was to take a water bus across the lagoon and then walk to the terminal. That could be a bit of a pain, though, if you have luggage that's hard to manage (I'll be using my backpack and DW will be toting a carry-on).

Keeping in mind large luggage I'd say your most convenient option is a water taxi. I know it's expensive but it's worth every penny when you think of the alternative of having to drag your suitcases on public transportation, then through the streets.

Okay, here is my recommendation. Take Alilaguna from the port (right at the baggage claim area) to St. Marks; (the only place it goes). 6 euros/pp. Then take the FREE Hilton shuttle from St. Mark's to your hotel!

See how easy that is? And I am very leery about that 60E cost for a water taxi, since the normal fare from the port to the hotels IN Venice is about 80-90 euros. I'd be sure to confirm that beforehand.

Cathy

Edited by CathyCruises

Okay, here is my recommendation. Take Alilaguna from the port (right at the baggage claim area) to St. Marks; (the only place it goes). 6 euros/pp. Then take the FREE Hilton shuttle from St. Mark's to your hotel!

See how easy that is? And I am very leery about that 60E cost for a water taxi, since the normal fare from the port to the hotels IN Venice is about 80-90 euros. I'd be sure to confirm that beforehand.

Cathy

Thanks Cathy that's fantastic info. By googling Alilaguna I found this web site:

http://www.alilaguna.it/

It seems to indicate that the line also goes all the way to the Hilton (its listed as a stop on the "BLU line" but there's no corresponding entry for the cost of this trip in their price list). Is the Red Line the only one that actually runs? Any idea what the difference between a "ticket" (13 euro) and "cartavenezia" (6 euro as you mentioned) is?

Thanks again.

I was on the Emerald Princess last year and also stayed at the Hilton before boarding so here is my advice: take a water taxi.

Yes you can take the free Hilton shuttle to St. Marks and then pick up the shuttle to the ship but you will need to have the ship's voucher in order to board (this will be given to you when you board the ship), hence that is not an option.

You can take the Hilton shuttle across the lagoon to Zattere and then pick up the water bus to the Piazzale Roma but then you must either take a land taxi or walk to the cruise terminal (not far but can be a chore with your luggage).

Although I had planned on being conservative and taking the water bus, I opted to take the pricey water taxi and am very glad I did. The water taxi goes right up to the boarding area of the cruise terminal and the Princess people took our luggage directly off the the water taxi. It was so easy - plus it was a very enjoyable ride.

Also, there is a Duty Free liquor store in the cruise terminal that had some very good prices on wine and liquor. The Princess people let me take it on board with no questions asked. I highly recommend it.

Irene

Thanks Cathy that's fantastic info. By googling Alilaguna I found this web site:

http://www.alilaguna.it/

It seems to indicate that the line also goes all the way to the Hilton (its listed as a stop on the "BLU line" but there's no corresponding entry for the cost of this trip in their price list). Is the Red Line the only one that actually runs? Any idea what the difference between a "ticket" (13 euro) and "cartavenezia" (6 euro as you mentioned) is?

Thanks again.

Welcome to CruiseCritic. I noticed this on the Alilaguna site, so I e-mailed the concierge at the Hilton Molino Stucky for info. I'll post as soon as I hear from him.

Donna

Welcome to CruiseCritic. I noticed this on the Alilaguna site, so I e-mailed the concierge at the Hilton Molino Stucky for info. I'll post as soon as I hear from him. Donna

I guess there are a bunch of us waiting for your reply! Thanks for taking the time to get the info for us.:)

I am not 100% sure of this, but I BELIEVE that Alilaguna only goes from the port to the St. Mark's vaporetto stop--at least, that was the only option when we were there. Alilaguna has a bunch of other standardized routes, just not direct from the port when the ships disembark pax. As stated, the cost was 6 euros/pp in November.

Also, there is a Duty Free liquor store in the cruise terminal that had some very good prices on wine and liquor. The Princess people let me take it on board with no questions asked. I highly recommend it.

Irene

Did you purchase wine or liquor? I'd be interested in getting rum and a bottle of something else. I know they allow wine but was wondering about the hard stuff.

My husband and I will be staying in Venice for a few days prior to our ship's departure. We'll be at the Hilton Molino Stucky hotel, which is actually on Giudecca, and would like to know the best way to get from the hotel to the cruise ship, keeping in mind large pieces of luggage.

We are also staying at the Hilton for our cruise on Oceania this July. I contacted the concierge and arranged for the hotel to pick us up at the airport and to also take take us to the cruise terminal. They do all that so you dont have to think about what you have to do.

the following is the responses I've had from the hotel when inquiring about arriving with a mobility scooter:

The best way to reach the hotel is taking a private watertaxi that takes you directly to the hotel in 30 minutes. Can you walk?

Because if you can get on board on the watertaxi without the scooter the cost is 100 euro, but if not we have to book a special one with the elevator to allow you to get on board on the scooter and the cost is 140

Alternatively we can book a private transfer with a hostess waiting for you with a sign displaying your name that accompany you to take the private watertaxi to reach the hotel

the cost is 210 euro for 2 persons.

From the hotel to the ship the best way is taking a private watertaxi that takes you directly to the ship The cost for a normal watertaxi is 60 euro up to 4 people the watertaxi with the elevator costs euro 90.

or from the airport you can take the Alilaguna the public waterbus that takes 1h30 minutes the ticket costs 15 euro per person.You reach s.Mark square or Zattere andf rom there you can take the Hilton free shuttle boat to reach the hotel or the public waterbus .

if you'd like to spend the day in Venice then head to the ship the hotel said: The check out is 12 am. You can store your luggage in our storage and pick up later when you have to leave the hotel.

Hope this helps.

Edited by sasha'smom

I bought Campari, wine, vodka and kahlua at the Duty Free and Princess let me walk it on - no problem. That of course was last year, I don't know how they will be this year.

I did ask the men at the x-ray machine if they would let me bring the liquor on board before I purchased it, just to be sure. You could try that. Because the store is right in the terminal where you board, you can check in, go to your cabin and then return to the terminal to make your purchases.

Irene

Also, in reference to the hotel's replies, it is a bit of a challenge to step off the docks (at the hotel) on to the shuttle or water taxis. My mother had a bit of a hard time and had to be assisted (lifted over) by the taxi driver. If you have any disabilities (cane, walker or wheelchair) you would require a special lift. The current is strong and the pier moves up and down with it. The nice thing about the water taxi is the driver (and assistant) help you & your luggage on and off while on the public transport you are on your own. Also, they strongly discourage passengers with luggage (not the Alilaguna, just the water bus).

Another point, if you decide to take public transportation to St. Marks or Zattre to connect with the Hotel's free shuttle, please realize the shuttle stops at a different pier from the public stop. Very close, but not the same spot.

Irene-Thank You so much for the info!

We were planning on getting the hard stuff from the Co Op and putting it in the checked luggage before boarding but this is so much easier. I'm afraid to put it in the luggage for an overseas flight. I remember one time we went from Florida to Seattle and there was a guy dragging his luggage with a trail of vodka following him!!!:eek:

I guess there are a bunch of us waiting for your reply! Thanks for taking the time to get the info for us.:)
You're welcome. I haven't heard back from him yet but am going to give him another day or two. (We're accustomed to next day reply here in the U.S., but I respect the fact that the Europeans GENERALLY have a better work/life balance than we have in the U.S., so they don't check their e-mail every day and have more time off.)

In the meantime, here's the Alilaguna timetable in question--note that the last Alilaguna from the airport to the hotel is at 16:45 (we have another couple from our roll call board arriving after 5:00 p.m.): http://www.alilaguna.it/?funzione=1&contesto=1&valore=8&modo=6&fascia=2

I think the Tronchetto stop is the cruise ship terminal. If anyone has info to the contrary, please post it.

Donna

Edited by dbh62ark

Is anyone arriving in Venice on the morning of May 15 and staying at the Hilton Molino Stucky? We'd like to share a water taxi from the airport to the hotel and perhaps over to the cruise terminal the next day.

Thank you all for your responses. We'd love to share a water taxi from the Hilton to the cruise ship. We're sailing on the RCL Splendour of the Seas, not sure if that makes any difference.

Also, for those of you who are planning to take wine/alcohol onboard, does anyone know if that will be a problem with RCL? I understand that if you take liquor onboard, they will take it and hold it for you until the end of the cruise.

In looking at the route and timetable for the Alilaguna waterbus, it shows that the waterbus does go to and from the Hilton Molino and the cruise ship terminal (Tronchetto stop). Can anyone confirm this as I was planning to simply hop off the cruise ship upon disembarking and hop onto a Alilaguna waterbus that would take us directly to the Hilton Molino.

When I sent the hotel a link to this thread, the manager called to be sure that all our questions were answered. So based on the service before we arrive in Venice, I think we're all in for a treat staying at the Hilton Molino Stucky.

The first tip that I think will be most helpful is that this Hilton has a microsite that has more info than the main Hilton site.

http://molinostuckyhilton.com/index.php

And the direct link to transportation information is http://molinostuckyhilton.com/transferinformation.php#contentRight.

The Hilton shuttle boat schedule is also on the microsite.

Hotel to ship

Private water taxi from hotel to ship is 60 Euros for 4 passengers. This is cheaper than a water taxi from the St. Mark's Square area because the Guidecca island is closer to the cruise ship terminal. I know from personal experience that after arriving by water taxi at the dock, the ship's employees are waiting for you and your luggage, and this is a very easy option (we’ve been fortunate to have sailed from Venice several times). The hotel will book the water taxi for you in advance. And when I've stayed in hotels Venice in the past, they will at least try to find someone to split the cost if you can't find someone in advance on your roll call.

Tronchetto is the Alilaguna public water bus stop for the cruise ships. But the manager recommended against this option for most cruise passengers because after you arrive at the Tronchetto stop, you have to walk to the cruise ships. He said that considering the fact that you have to follow the road, you would likely want to take a land taxi from the Tronchetto stop to the ship. The hotel needs to book that in advance to ensure that you are able to get a taxi. He said that if you can find someone to share a water taxi, it's not much more (15 Euros per person via private water taxi vs. approx 10 Euros per person via Alilaguna + water taxi).

Airport to hotel

Private water taxi from airport to hotel is 100 Euros (see note above about location of the Guidecca island) for 4 passengers. Some water taxis may impose a fee of 8 Euros for each extra passenger. The water taxis are located near the airport exit (you have to walk a little further to Alilaguna).

The last Alilaguna public water boat to the Hilton Molino Stucky leaves the airport at 7:15 p.m. (19:15). The information on the Alilaguna site has not been updated, so the most current and accurate timetable is on the Hilton Molino Stucky microsite (see link above). This option takes 1.5 hours as compared to a half hour for the private water taxi.

Here's a link to the roll call threads to trade messages with others from your sailing before your trip: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34. And you can possibly find others to share the cost of a water taxi there.

The hotel does not know of any luggage storage facilities in the St. Mark’s Square area, so you would need to return to the hotel to collect any luggage that you leave during the day while you are sightseeing before boarding the ship.

On a personal note, I’ve spent 46 days in Venice and have made the mistake of trying to take luggage on the vaporettos (will not do that again). Just my opinion, but this is one area where you may want to splurge and do it the easy way by water taxi. And if you can find someone to split the cost, the water taxis are not much more expensive and way more convenient. I don't know how to put a price on this, but it's just fun and very scenic to ride the water taxis, so that's quite a treat. Seeing the sights of Venice from this perspective is not the same as seeing it 10 stories up from a cruise ship deck. And after you arrive on a long international flight, you're really tired, so that's a consideration too. Luggage on the Alilaguna public water buses (not the same boats as the vaporettos) is not an issue.

Happy travels,

Donna

Edited by dbh62ark

We have a group of 6 traveling together and staying at the Molino Stucky. All info for water taxis are based on 4 people. Is there a chance that 6 can fit in one water taxi?

DONNA .. THANK YOU FOR POSTING THE INFO

Edited by Ethel5