Avalon Waterways Introduces Flexible Dining Option on River Cruises

LauraS

• 1 month later...

Sounds like meals will be served whenever one wants. That can really put a strain on the staff. No start to end time is listed for lunch or dinner. On our Uniworld trip in Dec., dinner was available to start anytime between 7-9. There have to be some parameters and guide lines. Not having to arrive at the dot of 7 is good. Gives a bit of breathing room after a long day touring. Still not sure about what Avalon is trying to do with anytime. please help me to understand the new policy. Thanks, Pat:confused:

Sounds like meals will be served whenever one wants. That can really put a strain on the staff. No start to end time is listed for lunch or dinner. On our Uniworld trip in Dec., dinner was available to start anytime between 7-9. There have to be some parameters and guide lines. Not having to arrive at the dot of 7 is good. Gives a bit of breathing room after a long day touring. Still not sure about what Avalon is trying to do with anytime. please help me to understand the new policy. Thanks, Pat:confused:

I’m taking it that the dinner and lunch hours have expanded a bit. I don’t know about putting the staff under strain. When we sailed Avalon everything had to be precise time wise. Nobody could be served course 2 until everyone eating course 1 was finished and cleared. This could be stressful on the staff also, because if you were lagging behind clearing the tables you’d hold the entire dining room up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are looking at summer of 19 Avalon cruise. We find the brochure very confusing as to cabins, meals, and alcohol. The pricing is also a bit odd and difficult to follow. What are the liquor rules as to what is served for free. Can you bring your own Vodka aboard for a late night cap.

We are looking at summer of 19 Avalon cruise. We find the brochure very confusing as to cabins, meals, and alcohol. The pricing is also a bit odd and difficult to follow. What are the liquor rules as to what is served for free. Can you bring your own Vodka aboard for a late night cap.

You can bring any alcohol or food you want on board. They don’t confiscate it like ocean cruises. In the past beer, wine and soft drinks were included in the fare on Avalon, but no spirits.

What is the question with the cabin pricing? The lower level does not have the sliding glass doors to open and the price reflects that.

When we sailed Avalon everything had to be precise time wise. Nobody could be served course 2 until everyone eating course 1 was finished and cleared.

Everyone in the dining room, or everyone at your table? When we sailed Avalon (europe, Dec 2014) it was definitely not so regimented as to be the former. The latter is common on ALL ships I've been on - no matter what kind of set up the dining room follows, it's proper that each table is aligned with the courses......

[i would assume that's also why some people prefer to eat as a 2-some and not with others....]

ETA we LOVED our "french balcony/window" even in December! The views were great - and we even opened it a couple of times :-) The best part is that the bed is aligned so that you're looking out the window and not at the wall....

OK, I give up, what's rafting. I know when 2 boats tie up together we call it rafting.

That’s exactly it. Sometimes the riverboats are tied up to each other in port so when you open your window, you won’t see scenery but another riverboat. It happens frequently during high season.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

We get great joy from dining with others at dinner time. By the third or fourth day, we have made "cruise buddies" and the same four couples usually end up having dinner together every night. Those who stick themselves at two tops are missing out on part of the experience.

We have never felt rushed to get to dinner. On our two previous Avalon cruises, we were easily back on the ship in plenty of time to freshen up, grab a happy hour drink, and listen to the Directors "next day activities" spiel, then head down to dinner. We enjoy the 'ritual.' We're going again in June. We'll see how it goes.

However, not being morning people, we prefer two tops for breakfast.

We were on Avalon last year - beer and wine were served with meals and they would keep pouring until you were ready to leave the restaurant. In addition you could bring alcohol or wine that you purchased locally back to your room - enjoy your night cap!

We are booked for August, 2018. Have looked but have not found definite answer- do the men ever have to wear a sports coat? Or do some men choose to wear a sports coat? We want to know how dressy dinners will be... thanks for any help.

No sport coat is needed - unless that's what you are comfortable wearing. I brought one and never wore it. A number of guests wore them occasionally. Overall it was very casual - typically collared shirts including polo shirts and long pants were the norm at dinner.