5-31-2018 Thursday Weigh-in

mdaviswv

Good morning everyone. I'm up 1 this week. I hope the scale is nicer to you than me. Less than two weeks from sailaway for me, so an increase is disappointing. Last few days have been normal for exercise and diet but the weekend did me in.

I'm on schedule to finish what I'm reading and my treadmill series, The Wire, before our departure 6/9. I'm rather obsessive about wrapping everything up before our vacations. Breaks the year into two halves and gives me two fresh starts which I love. I think I'll hit the pushups and weights hard the rest of summer and fall.

Do you guys have any experience with ellipticals? My treadmill has been very good to me, but I have a friend at work who preaches the benefits of ellipticals. This cruise I'm planning to do some experimentation with them in the gym. Just curious if you guys had done them.

Well, have a great day. I'll check back later. :)

Mike

Good Morning!!

Sorry that you are up this week Mike .. Never fun.

I weighed myself this morning and after two weeks I am down 0.2# ... I've been eating well and spending my time in the garden weeding and planting ... haven't gotten to the gym. Wish the loss was more ... On Tuesday I want to see about getting some of my meds changed.

Hope everyone has a wonderful week (and really hope that Belle is having a blast on her cruise!). Jan

The scale was cruel to me this week too, up 2.4#:mad:

I'm probably being unfair to the scale, it was just the messenger for what I already suspected - too much food (and wine) and too little exercise over the weekend. Add in the ridiculous humidity we are having and I would have been shocked if I wasn't up.

Temperatures are to be down the next few days, so I expect swelling to go down and lose some water weight plus easier to get the running done. My goal for Saturday is a sub 45 minute 5K with doing 4 min run/1 min recovery walk. It will be my first 5K since October, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Mike - I'm not a big fan of ellipticals but I know many who find them gentler on the joints. It's difficult for me to find a good pace - I feel like I'm either at the equivalent of a brisk walk or I'm sprinting but can't sustain that or find the "gentle jog" in between the two. I'd probably rather use an old fashioned stepper than an elliptical, but that's me. It is nice to be able to switch between forward and backward movement.

Have a great trip! Be sure to check the 511PA site before you head out - we are approaching full construction mode and you might find some delays. My cousin near State College mentioned possible delays on 99 soon, but I don't remember when that's starting. I-79 to I-80 is long and boring, but most of it is 70mph speed limit so you can make decent time if your intended route looks like it has longer delays.

Hope everyone else has good weigh-ins and a fun weekend!

Good Morning!!

Sorry that you are up this week Mike .. Never fun.

I weighed myself this morning and after two weeks I am down 0.2# ... I've been eating well and spending my time in the garden weeding and planting ... haven't gotten to the gym. Wish the loss was more ... On Tuesday I want to see about getting some of my meds changed.

Hope everyone has a wonderful week (and really hope that Belle is having a blast on her cruise!). Jan

Congrats on the loss Jan - a win's a win;) Hoping you can get good answers Tuesday.

On the medical thoughts: I have a bee allergy and recently got my expired epi-pens replaced. I was unaware of the current shortage and wanted to share with all of you in case you know anyone who uses them. It was only a 2 day delay to get filled (although my pharmacy was supposed to call and never did :mad: - I checked with them yesterday) but is sounds like it varies for the length of time it takes.

If you use them, refill early if possible to allow for delays.

Hello everyone,

I stayed the same. Would say I'm bummed but actually happy I didn't gain. It was hubby's birthday last Friday so you know, eat out, cake and ice cream.

Mike, sorry for the gain. Exciting, your cruise is coming so soon now.

Ellipticals: I use them all the time at the gym. I like the arm workout I get along with the legs. My thing is I try not to go too high in the height of the steps, too hard on the knees.

Jan, congrats on losing. Whatever the loss it's at least progress.

Pacruise, ooh, bummer gain.I saw your last post from yesterday. Right, the one thing we don't have in California is humidity. Where we are we can have 110 degrees but very dry heat.

Guess we all need to do better for next week.

Have a great day.

Diana

Hi Everyone

Mike- I used to use the elliptical sometimes at the gym, but I tend to prefer the treadmill or the rower personally. My absolute preference is still outside unless it's super hot or cold. Last weekend when it was really hot inside other than Saturday morning, most of my workouts were inside.

Down .8 this week. I'm ok with that since we had lots of celebrations between both boys birthdays and my younger son's graduation from basic training. I've been using a new logging app called LoseIt so I think that's helping me.

I hope everyone has a good week coming up.

Kat

HI all!

Mike ~ thanks for starting the thread while lucky Belle cruises!

Nice to see so many reporting even if gains. Add me to that group, up 1 lb & not happy about it since I fly out a week from tonight for my cruise. I've had lunches out 3 days in a row then an Italian dinner last night plus won a box of chocolates which I didn't resist, on Monday.

I like using MFP but today had some kind of thing to approve which I didn't want to agree to so don't know what I'll do now.:(

Anyhow I wouldn't be tracking on the cruise so will hope for the best.(yn)

Have a nice weekend.

~ Jo ~:)

Hello All.

.Didn't weight! Wonder why? Think I'm doing pretty good eating wise but who knows?

Walked about 6 miles yesterday. Some of miles was walking to

Nugget Falls in Juneau. Beautiful weather in fact hot!

Skagway today about only 2 miles. Great weather again.

Ketchikan maybe a mile little rain.

Congrats for the loss's no matter if small or large. Hope gains off next week.

Everyone take care

Hello All.

.Didn't weight! Wonder why? Think I'm doing pretty good eating wise but who knows?

Walked about 6 miles yesterday. Some of miles was walking to

Nugget Falls in Juneau. Beautiful weather in fact hot!

Skagway today about only 2 miles. Great weather again.

Ketchikan maybe a mile little rain.

Congrats for the loss's no matter if small or large. Hope gains off next week.

Everyone take care

Hope you are having a blast -- sounds like you've done a lot of walking ... Alaska is on my bucket list (probably a few years from now - Enjoy!!!) Jan

Hey guys. Glad to hear from everyone yesterday. And a check in from Alaska is a nice surprise. :)

Good luck with the meds Jan. That stuff can really mess with weight loss efforts unfortunately. Hope you find something to do what it needs to do without messing with you too much.

Thanks for all the tips on the ellipticals. I agree that outside is enjoyable Katmu, but my outside walks aren't too intense since they are generally wind downs with my wife and son. On occasion in the summer I'll take off and do 3 or 4 miles on my own, but for the most part the treadmill is probably my favorite since I can immerse myself in Netflix series.

PA Cruise, thanks for all the tips on my upcoming road trip. I work for Highways in WV so unfortunately I know all about summer delays. :( We've got three nights in New York before the cruise, so we won't be in a huge hurry anyway. I think I'm back to my original plan of 22 to 99 to 80. Some new scenery will be good for us.

Good luck with your MFP issues Jo. Apps are great when they work, but a nuisance if they don't.

I've used MFP, WW and Loseit in the past, but don't use anything now. I do use Happy Scale as a weight tracker, but its certainly nothing fancy.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Jo, excited for you tht your cruise is so close now, have a great time.

Glad Belle checked in. Wow, lots of miles of walking for her. That's great. Sure she's having a fabulous time.

Mike, what are the ports on your cruise?

Hubby and I have been eating lots of salads the past few days. We have green cabbage in our yard along with some other veggies. Last night made an oriental cabbage salad with chicken. Was really good. And of course it's nice to eat salad in the heat of summer.

Today I think we're taking a break from the gym but we're going to walk around a classic car show. It's in the town next to us over many blocks so that will be at least some exercise.

Supposed to be 95 today but it'll still be nice to be out. Will bring the ice water............

Have a good day.

Diana

Diana, nowhere special. Amber Cove, Grand Turk and San Juan. I’ve always loved San Juan, but the others I’m not to excited about. This trip is about the ship rather than the destinations. She’s only around 2 months old and we haven’t been on a new Carnival Ship since 2001 I think. I’ll post a link to my blog, if CC police allow it of course, once we get started in case you guys are interested in what we get into.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Mike,

Hmm, we have not been to Amber Cove or Grand Turk. Agree San Juan is nice and the inhabitants need tourist dollars.

We've been to so many Caribbean ports multiple times. Hard to find ones we haven't been to. Try to do something different each time.

Diana

I think both of those other ports are primarily Carnival funded places. Amber Cove is more or less a private island type of thing. Only not an island. Not super appealing.

We are stopping at Grand Turk on our cruise later this year (also Freeport and HMC). Looking forward to a relaxing, do nothing trip and the beaches are supposed to be lovely at GT and HMC. Will also check out Jack's Shack and possibly some snorkeling there too.

Ran our first 5K of the year on Saturday. Very humid, but temps were reasonable. We were all pleased with our times - sub 35 for husband and son, sub 45 for me (daughter was taking SAT's) - and husband won 2nd place for his age group:D My hip has been killing me most of the weekend, but increasing the stretching and ice helps. Trying to regain full range of motion again.

Lasagna dinner for son's mission trip was a success yesterday. Got about 2 miles in with daughter this morning.

Hope everyone has a great week!

:loudcry: Last day at sea! Home on Tuesday. Had a good cruise and weather. We were lucky.

Same cruise before had rain in every port.

Mike thanks for starting post. Can you do it this Thur.. to? Friend is staying a few days and we're

going away Wed. and Thur. back on Fri. Thanks very very much.

Ok off to enjoy last day. :frown:

HI all!

Diana ~ thanks for the good wishes. I'm flying out Thursday evening so getting pretty excited/nervous.

Belle ~ great that you had nice weather, it can make such a difference to the experience.

I have been to all those places & especially love HMC as it's so beautiful & was also my first private island type place.

Our 1st 2 cruises sailed from San Juan & I thought it a lovely place. We had a really good tour on the way to the airport, the guide was so good that I wrote the excursion girl on the Chandris ship who had said it wasn't a good tour, to tell her ours was delightful.

My cruise in Dec 2019 stops at Bonaire, a place I've never seen & the one in April, Progresso. Always nice to see a new place even though there's lots to see at places one's been too.

See you Thursday, hopefully with good news.;)

~ Jo ~ :)

Jo - Bonaire is a wonderful place ... If you like snorkeling (or sitting on a sailboat and looking at the ocean) try a tour with Woodwind, they are really wonderful ... they also book up very quickly also. Not sure where your cruise goes to, but I hope you have a wonderful time - Enjoy! Jan

Hi again!

Jan ~ thanks for that info but I'm really not into snorkelling or boating actually as we had a sailboat for 30 years.:o

I would like to see the sealife but maybe from a glass bottom boat & I do want to see the Flamingos.

My cruise on Sunday is roundtrip from Venice calling at 3 Greek Islands, Dubrovnik & Kotor.

After the cruise I'm spending 3 nights in Verona, city of Lovers, all by myself.:loudcry:

Have a nice evening.

~ Jo ~ :)

Good evening. You guys do great stuff!

Jo, I hope your cruise is great. I want to see Venice someday but who knows.

Belle, sure, I’ll be around Thursday and eager to share what will surely be disappointing news.

Pacruise, I’m hoping my son actually enjoys some beach time at Grand Turk since you’re so close the ship. He’s not crazy about the private islands where you have to tender.

See ya Thursday!

Mike

Belle,

Glad you had a great time and good weather.

Pacruise, congrats on completing the 5K. That's so good. A great accomplishment.

Agree, Bonaire is beautiful. Our first time there was last year, we did a sailing/snorkeling tour there. Was great. But I also remember the other half of the day we walked around the port area which was also so nice.

Nice we chat about different things.

Diana

Thanks, Diana. We have another scheduled for July (graduation race for our running class), but the race we just finished we've done for several years - I think this was our 7th.

I'm feeling pretty rough today. Proud of my daughter, she got her run in on the treadmill this morning - I'm still trying to wake up (and went to bed around 9 last night so shouldn't be tired). Grateful for the cool weather and hope to get out a little later this morning for my run.

Hope everyone has a great time on their upcoming cruises! "Talk" to everyone tomorrow:)