Birth Certificates in Long Beach

MissesB4409

Hey Guys!

I just had a question for those of you who have sailed Carnival out of Long Beach. I have my passport, but my kids do not. (I know there are so many people who insist on traveling with a passport but I'm totally comfortable with just the BCs, so please no lectures! :) ) My question is, according to Carnival's website it says that a photo copy of the original birth certificate is okay. I was just curious if anyone has boarded a Carnival ship only using a copy of their birth certificates. Its totally not a big deal to take the ACTUAL ones, but I thought it would be easier to just bring copies in case they get lost or damaged. My husband also does not have his passport. So he would be boarding using his BC...so is a copy of his BC and his license going to get him onboard?

Thanks guys for the replies. I thought it was funny that it says on their website that a photo copy of the birth certificate will work. I was more or less looking for a bunch of people saying that the photo copy would work so then I would consider. I will just stick to the plan and bring the originals.

From https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139/~/documents-needed-to-take-a-cruise

"
An U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original, notarized or certified copy of his or her birth certificate, a
issues by
(DOS) and/or
issued by
"

Any copy has to be certified (as a true copy).

Never sailed out of Long Beach but have used a clean photocopy of my BC several times without any issues. I did have my passport with me each time as back up, but wanted to see if they would accept the copies and they did

When they say "photocopy", don't they mean the authenticated photocopy obtained from the government agency? My BC is a photocopy but, its stamped/embossed as being a copy of the original on file. Not the same as a photocopy you make yourself.

When they say "photocopy", don't they mean the authenticated photocopy obtained from the government agency? My BC is a photocopy but, its stamped/embossed as being a copy of the original on file. Not the same as a photocopy you make yourself.

I don't know...I thought it was saying a photocopy like you would make yourself. I think the other one is called a certified copy or something along those lines. It just seems so bizarre to me that just making a photocopy of your birth certificate would work.

When I had called Carnival years ago to inquire, they said a clean photocopy would be sufficient. I made one and used it twice without any issues but like I said, I had my passport with me as backup (never cruise without it!).

This was for East coast embarkation for the Caribbean.

• 3 weeks later...

We cruised with our teens last May out of Long Beach on Carnival and used the certified copy of the BCs and had no issues. I wouldn't take the chance on using a photocopy of a certified copy, it might work but what if it didn't? Have a great cruise!