What do you think about Florida staying on Daylight savings time.

dolittle

[quote=Keith1010;55651846

I have no idea why even Federal Law was changed to move Day Light Savings as early as it is today.

Seems silly to me.

Keith

Supposedly the reason was to decrease energy use by having more daylight in the after work/after school hours -- apparently Bush thought it would mean people would use less lighting. I guess he thought changing everyone's clocks was smarter than, you know, actually enacting energy saving practices.

Plane schedules - let's see, I take off from LA now, and land in Florida 5 hours later (but there's a 3 or 4 hour difference, depending on the time of year)? So what time do I schedule my pick up at the airport?

From a traveling perspective I don't like it.

Too confusing for flights.

Keith

Plane itineraries list local arrival time, which should take the guesswork and confusion out of knowing when you'll arrive at your destination, right?

I wish the rest of the country would do this. Or stay on standard time. Just pick one and stick with it--I don't really care which one.

Of course, most other countries now do the DST/standard time switch, so keeping track of the time differences would be more difficult. But to me it's worth it just to avoid having that change twice a year.

JMO -- either everyone stays on DST or regular time.

Don't like the idea that this and that state will be one or the other.

Would you advocate the entire country being in the same time zone? That way you would not have to suffer the inconvenience of having to reset your watch (and your belly) any time you travelled more than a few hundred miles east or west.

Think how happy the Chinese must be --- they are all in one time zone - in spite of spanning what would be five zones anywhere else.

Supposedly the reason was to decrease energy use by having more daylight in the after work/after school hours -- apparently Bush thought it would mean people would use less lighting. I guess he thought changing everyone's clocks was smarter than, you know, actually enacting energy saving practices.

Daylight Savings Time has been used on and off in the U.S. since WWI. It was first was enacted on March 19, 1918 and was used for seven months in 1918 and again in 1919.

During World War II, President Franklin Roosevelt instituted year-round Daylight Saving Time for 3-1/2 years, called "War Time," from February 9, 1942 to September 30, 1945.

On January 4, 1974, President Nixon signed into law the Emergency Daylight Saving Time Energy Conservation Act of 1973. Then, beginning on January 6, 1974, implementing the Daylight Saving Time Energy Act, clocks were set ahead. On October 5, 1974, Congress amended the Act, and Standard Time returned on October 27, 1974. Daylight Saving Time resumed on February 23, 1975 and ended on October 26, 1975.

Under legislation enacted in 1986, Daylight Saving Time in the U.S. began at 2:00 a.m. on the first Sunday of April and ended at 2:00 a.m. on the last Sunday of October.

The Energy Policy Act of 2005 extended Daylight Saving Time in the U.S. beginning in 2007, though Congress retained the right to revert to the 1986 law should the change prove unpopular or if energy savings were not significant. Going from 2007 forward, Daylight Saving Time in the U.S. begins at 2:00 a.m. on the second Sunday of March and ends at 2:00 a.m. on the first Sunday of November.

SOURCE: http://www.webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/e.html

Edited by sloopsailor

I don't agree with the Chinese method of making one time zone out of what should be five. But it does illustrate one point...for those complaining that the mandated time is out of sync with what the natural "sun time" should be at some point, such as putting school children in the dark in the morning, the solution is simple....just periodically change the school hours to conform with the sun time. And any other entity such as farmer's, and businesses that support them do likewise. Better than to force everyone to make the semi-annual clock changes...

I don't agree with the Chinese method of making one time zone out of what should be five. But it does illustrate one point...for those complaining that the mandated time is out of sync with what the natural "sun time" should be at some point, such as putting school children in the dark in the morning, the solution is simple....just periodically change the school hours to conform with the sun time. And any other entity such as farmer's, and businesses that support them do likewise. Better than to force everyone to make the semi-annual clock changes...

This would work, although I am inclined that there would be far more hassle and disruption involved in switching school hours.

Is it really that hard to make the semi-annual clock changes?

It would be interesting to see some study showing the amount of energy saved (pollution reduced, fuel not consumed, etc.) by having that one movable hour of daylight occur at a time of day when most people are up and active, as opposed to being still asleep.

Daylight Savings Time has been used on and off in the U.S. since WWI. It was first was enacted on March 19, 1918 and was used for seven months in 1918 and again in 1919.

During World War II, President Franklin Roosevelt instituted year-round Daylight Saving Time for 3-1/2 years, called "War Time," from February 9, 1942 to September 30, 1945.

On January 4, 1974, President Nixon signed into law the Emergency Daylight Saving Time Energy Conservation Act of 1973. Then, beginning on January 6, 1974, implementing the Daylight Saving Time Energy Act, clocks were set ahead. On October 5, 1974, Congress amended the Act, and Standard Time returned on October 27, 1974. Daylight Saving Time resumed on February 23, 1975 and ended on October 26, 1975.

Under legislation enacted in 1986, Daylight Saving Time in the U.S. began at 2:00 a.m. on the first Sunday of April and ended at 2:00 a.m. on the last Sunday of October.

The Energy Policy Act of 2005 extended Daylight Saving Time in the U.S. beginning in 2007, though Congress retained the right to revert to the 1986 law should the change prove unpopular or if energy savings were not significant. Going from 2007 forward, Daylight Saving Time in the U.S. begins at 2:00 a.m. on the second Sunday of March and ends at 2:00 a.m. on the first Sunday of November.

SOURCE: http://www.webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/e.html

ummmm.......thanks for the history lesson about a lot of things no one was asking about?

ummmm.......thanks for the history lesson about a lot of things no one was asking about?

ummmmm.....Keith1010 asked why it was lengthened and you gave an answer. I figured it might be interesting to some to add to your answer, maybe even you, since you mentioned it was Bush who made DST longer. If you don't care about the history, then don't read it. No need to get sarcastic because someone tried to provide additional information to support your own comment.

...for those complaining that the mandated time is out of sync with what the natural "sun time" should be at some point, such as putting school children in the dark in the morning, the solution is simple....just periodically change the school hours to conform with the sun time. And any other entity such as farmer's, and businesses that support them do likewise.

Do you honestly think it would be easier to change everyone's schedules periodically? I cannot imagine the mess it would cause.

Children's school hours would change, necessitating work hours to change for just about everyone (working mothers could not be at work until they have gotten their children to school or seen them off on the bus...) and vice versa for pre- and afterschool programs, athletics, childcare, bus drivers, school crossing guards (not to mention having to change the hours for school zone reduced speed limits)....

The mind boggles. What is so difficult about a one-hour change once every 6 months?

Agreed. I'd rather do the time change twice a year than, say, go to the dentist. And I do that 3 times a year, of my own accord.

Yes - but think how HARD it is to pull out the crown on your wristwatch and twist it to re-set, and then to punch that little button on your car dashboard — just so someone else’s little children won’t have to wait in the dark for school busses, and we can significantly reduce energy consumption.

I HATE having to do things to keep in step with society - everyone else should do things my way.

Do you honestly think it would be easier to change everyone's schedules periodically? I cannot imagine the mess it would cause.

Children's school hours would change, necessitating work hours to change for just about everyone (working mothers could not be at work until they have gotten their children to school or seen them off on the bus...) and vice versa for pre- and afterschool programs, athletics, childcare, bus drivers, school crossing guards (not to mention having to change the hours for school zone reduced speed limits)....

The mind boggles. What is so difficult about a one-hour change once every 6 months?

You made a good point there....

Meh!

Just keep the whole country on standard time and be done with it.

Do you mean like China - where the whole country is in one time zone?

Or, let every town pick its own "standard" time?

Why not remain with the present system of adjusting twice a year to maximize the use of daylight as the amount of that daylight varies through the year - and in that way "be done with it"?

Do you mean like China - where the whole country is in one time zone?

Or, let every town pick its own "standard" time?

Why not remain with the present system of adjusting twice a year to maximize the use of daylight as the amount of that daylight varies through the year - and in that way "be done with it"?

No, retain the time zones as they are...just keep them all on "standard" time for that zone for the entire year. No more advancing / retarding clocks twice a year.

I think what would be best year round, Standard Time or Daylight Savings Time, depends on where a person lives. I live on the west coast. During the winter the sun rises around 7:00 a.m. and sun sets at around 4:45 p.m. In winter an additional hour of daylight in the afternoon would be nice so most people don't get home from work after dark. Personally, I would prefer going to work in the dark and coming home when it's still light out rather than the other way around. Staying with DST year round would accomplish that.

At my latitude/longitude on December 21 the sun rises at about 7:30 AM and sets at about 4:30 PM (Standard Time). On June 21 it rises at about 5:30 AM and sets at about 8:30 PM (Daylight Savings Time). If we were to remain on Standard Time, on June 21 sunrise would be at about 4:30 AM --- when very few people would appreciate or even know about it; and it would be getting dark at about 7:30 PM - when very many people would be likely to appreciate and take advantage of another hour of daylight.

Of course the switch does not create an extra instant of daylight - but it does move an hour of daylight from a useless time (for most people) to a time when it can be put to good use.

Switching clocks is a very small price to pay for a usable hour of daylight for many days. I find it truly depressing to hear so many people express so much resentment about such a common sense (and very simple) adjustment.

At my latitude/longitude on December 21 the sun rises at about 7:30 AM and sets at about 4:30 PM (Standard Time). On June 21 it rises at about 5:30 AM and sets at about 8:30 PM (Daylight Savings Time). If we were to remain on Standard Time, on June 21 sunrise would be at about 4:30 AM --- when very few people would appreciate or even know about it; and it would be getting dark at about 7:30 PM - when very many people would be likely to appreciate and take advantage of another hour of daylight.

Of course the switch does not create an extra instant of daylight - but it does move an hour of daylight from a useless time (for most people) to a time when it can be put to good use.

Switching clocks is a very small price to pay for a usable hour of daylight for many days. I find it truly depressing to hear so many people express so much resentment about such a common sense (and very simple) adjustment.

The Law passed by Florida and now a bill in Congress is to Stay on Daylight Savings Time forever [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A person I know actually believes that when DST kicks in it adds an hour of sunlight to the day. No amount of arguing will ever convince them otherwise.

That individual also no doubt believes that the Earth is flat and climate change is not real either.