CPAP machine

mlarge

When boarding do you hand your cpap case over with luggage or carry around with you until your room is ready?

My friend has one & did not allow it out of her sight. She carried it with her as she was concerned about the rough handling by the port staff.

I would never hand over a piece of medical equipment to the baggage handlers. The bags are thrown onto carts and stacked higher than even airline baggage carts. The likelihood of damage is great.

Good point! I will be new to the whole C-PAP thing as I’m getting mine a week before my cruise! Is there anything else I need to know ?

Good point! I will be new to the whole C-PAP thing as I’m getting mine a week before my cruise! Is there anything else I need to know ?

Contact special needs to arrange an extension cord and gallon of distilled water.

The extension cord will be a thick utility one, usually orange.

I bring a plain white new condition extension cord attached to my CPAP because I can also plug a charger into it.

Not a surge protector.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My DH has a small size CPAP that has a very well padded case it goes into and it's packed in his checked luggage...we travel with it often...no problems and it's much easier doing it this way.

When boarding do you hand your cpap case over with luggage or carry around with you until your room is ready?
I don't turn my bags over anymore. We travel pretty light so we can easily handle our bags, take them straight to the room, and get unpacked before sailaway. If you need to turn your bags over, I'd carry the machine myself. If your bag containing your machine got crushed on a cart/dropped/lost/dunked in the ocean/etc, and your machine broken/lost, you won't find a replacement in the gift shop:D I thought it was going to be a big hassle to travel with the cpap, but it hasn't been a problem at all. Here are a couple things that work for me; I replaced the flimsy cpap travel bag with a small photographer's backpack. It provides a great deal more protection than the original and the interior is configurable with velcro and padded partitions, so it gets its own well protected compartment. The bag isn't much bigger than the original travel case, but big enough to also fit an extension cord (no surge protection and the same color and shape as the cpap power cord), tubing/mask, my camera, and a small Bose speaker. I keep the power cord plugged into the extension cord and wrap it around the transformer/brick, and have never had it questioned. That bag and my carryon are all I take.

I don't turn my bags over anymore. We travel pretty light so we can easily handle our bags, take them straight to the room, and get unpacked before sailaway. If you need to turn your bags over, I'd carry the machine myself. If your bag containing your machine got crushed on a cart/dropped/lost/dunked in the ocean/etc, and your machine broken/lost, you won't find a replacement in the gift shop:D I thought it was going to be a big hassle to travel with the cpap, but it hasn't been a problem at all. Here are a couple things that work for me; I replaced the flimsy cpap travel bag with a small photographer's backpack. It provides a great deal more protection than the original and the interior is configurable with velcro and padded partitions, so it gets its own well protected compartment. The bag isn't much bigger than the original travel case, but big enough to also fit an extension cord (no surge protection and the same color and shape as the cpap power cord), tubing/mask, my camera, and a small Bose speaker. I keep the power cord plugged into the extension cord and wrap it around the transformer/brick, and have never had it questioned. That bag and my carryon are all I take.

No worries for DH he can easily do without it .... and we have one that stays home ..... insurance would cover his small travel one if need be.

Right, as long as the extension cord is attached to the CPAP no one has ever questioned it, on the 3 cruise lines I take it on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My DH has a small size CPAP that has a very well padded case it goes into and it's packed in his checked luggage...we travel with it often...no problems and it's much easier doing it this way.

No worries for DH he can easily do without it .... and we have one that stays home ..... insurance would cover his small travel one if need be.

I would double check whether travel insurance would cover a CPAP in checked luggage given that (1) most travel policies have the same disclaimers/caps on the value of certain items for lost luggage that the airlines do; and (2) they certainly may be inclined to deny coverage for a item that your are generally instructed not to put in checked baggage but to carry on and essentially never let out of your sight.

I would double check whether travel insurance would cover a CPAP in checked luggage given that (1) most travel policies have the same disclaimers/caps on the value of certain items for lost luggage that the airlines do; and (2) they certainly may be inclined to deny coverage for a item that your are generally instructed not to put in checked baggage but to carry on and essentially never let out of your sight.

We have and it does...but thanks for your input.