What is Dress Code in MDR (Viking Sea)?

harryw

Though I did see the photo of the policy provided in this thread, I still must believe that the World Cafe is not intended to be part of this. I think we will see a clarification to that effect. The Viking website FAQ still specifically states that:

The evening dress excludes World Café where the dress remains casual after 6:00 PM.

Though I am a great Viking fan, I recognize that consistent communication is still an area for improvement.

Yes, this is exact statement from FAQ. Unfortunately, our documents as I already mentioned in another post state "elegant casual" in ALL dining venues after 6 pm. Jeans are not allowed.

Last year i had designer skinny dressy jeans very dark blue almost black with very nice top, heels, nice jewelry. No one said a word, I even got a compliment. I wore them probably 2-3 times. I agree that there are jeans and there are jeans. The very dark or white dressy ones will be fine. I guess if you look at the mirror and see a person ready to go to nice restaurant, you dressed properly ;)

Premature *********** of kudos to Viking on my part. :confused:

I'm gobsmacked that they now expect no jeans & collared shirts in the World Cafe. The WC is a place to go when you're back from a tour and you just want to eat. Folks wore shorts & Ts there nobody cared on Homelands Viking Sea. I admit that I always shower and dress to slacks & collared shirt before dinner wherever, but the WC is the informal place when folks don't feel the need to dress up.

Viking is talking to Silversea too much where after 6PM there's a dress up code. Viking does not need this.

The crazy thing is they weren’t enforcing much of anything. The couple wearing the overalls that I thought sure would get turned down from Manfredi’s were allowed in with nary a ripple.

We didn’t get to eat in the in the World Cafe for dinner so I don’t know what people were wearing. We mostly ate in the Restaurant and I wasn’t paying much attention to what people were wearing. I could only see what they were wearing on top. They could have been naked and hiding it under the tablecloth [emoji15]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 4 months later...
Personally, I love that look. I wear the female equivalent of this at work, usually a knit cardi with nice top, accessories, and dark jeans. That has become typical in much of the business world now. But the generation on these cruises comes from a more formal time, when jeans were seen as sloppy. I think we’ll eventually see a shift in cruise dress codes down the road to reflect more modern times. But for now, I’m wearing black pants in the MDR. At least it’s not formalwear.

Here! Here! I will be doing the same on our 15 night Viking Sky trip in November. So silly because my black and even blue jeans are accepted in my verconservative (bank) office but I will abide by the rules and then clearly give my feedback at the end of cruise survey :)

On a recent river cruise on the Rhine, I'd say approximately one half of the men wore a sport jacket, no tie for formal dinners. Rest were collared shirts and nice slacks. Is this about the same for VO?

It is about the same for VO, but perhaps fewer choosing to wear sports jackets--at least on the cruises we did.

On a recent river cruise on the Rhine, I'd say approximately one half of the men wore a sport jacket, no tie for formal dinners. Rest were collared shirts and nice slacks. Is this about the same for VO?

We are currently on the Budapest to Amsterdam river cruise on the Modi, now Skirnir (ship swap). I have yet to see a sport jacket and there have been lots of jeans. Very casual, this lot [emoji16]

Our Viking Ocean cruise this past spring was in the Caribbean. No jackets, but lots of tropical shirts.

• Like 1

On 4 Viking river cruises I've seen very few sports jackets.

I've seen shorts & T shirts on both River & Ocean although they were very few on Ocean.

The vast majority of men wear collared shirts and slacks.

Having just booked our first ever cruise I am studying cruise critic for lots of info .

But basically re dressing in the evening , I do like to dress up a bit for dinner . I see it as a lovely holiday ritual . I don’t mean diamonds and long dresses. Just a pretty dress and heels . That wouldn’t look out of place would it ? ... maybe a stretchy dress in view of all the food that is available ! :D

Having just booked our first ever cruise I am studying cruise critic for lots of info .

But basically re dressing in the evening , I do like to dress up a bit for dinner . I see it as a lovely holiday ritual . I don’t mean diamonds and long dresses. Just a pretty dress and heels . That wouldn’t look out of place would it ? ... maybe a stretchy dress in view of all the food that is available ! :D

I am starting to pack for our cruise later this week. For dinner, I have mostly nice tunics and slim black pants, but I have a couple dresses too. Personally, I haven't worn heels in years, but if you enjoy them, then bring them too!

We always dress appropriately for dinner. On our recent VO cruise I was quite frankly appalled at what they allowed in the Restaurant. Sloppy jeans, sneakers, etc.

They do NOT enforce anything.

Even in the World Cafe which is casual, I could not believe what people wear on a lovely, expensive cruise. I would consider them gardening clothes or items for the Goodwill box.

• 3 months later...

“Itineraries don't include formal nights, and evening attire is classified as "elegant casual" after 6 p.m. in all dining venues except World Café. Ladies can wear a dress, skirt or slacks with a blouse or sweater while men can don trousers and a collared shirt.”

A Hawaiian shirt would technically meet the dress code for most venues for dinner.

But I would say you would feel uncomfortable wearing it in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants. 

It would be more appropriate for the World Cafe and I think I did see folks wearing them in the World Cafe, which is more casual.

That said---Hawaiian shirts are something (along with white sneakers)  that stick out as American and 'touristy', especially if you are outside of perhaps the Caribbean or Hawaii.

If possible---take some shirts in solid colors that you can mix and match.

Sleeve length would depend on your climate and before or after cruise plans.

They say no jeans in the main restaurant and specialty restaurants so you would be best prepared with non-jeans.

We did a transatlantic last year and about 1/3 of men wore jackets in the main restaurant and specialty. Very few ties.

And a jacket was completely optional.  Seriously, a golf shirt and non-jeans is fine.

Bring shirts that you will wear onboard and on excursions and will work for restaurants.

• Like 2

Husband wears khakis with a collared shirt, polo or collared shirt (even Hawaiian!!). No jacket or dress pants required and you will not be out of place at all. I don't think I saw more than 1 or 2 men with a jacket and we were on for 3 weeks. Don't stress. 

Edited by stretchcruz