Viking dress code

Srguppy

Just started packing for my 29th December cruise. All I can say is this thread has made life harder. Our cruise includes New Year's Eve - should I pack a little sparkle or some dungarees !

Actually to be fair I dont really care what others think. I will dress up a little because I enjoy it. Friends cruise on Cunard and love it but I can't get into any of the lovely long evening dresses at the far end of my wardrobe and the shoes would be far too uncomfortable and DH would certainly not fit into his Dinner Suit and Black tie so the free and easy dress code of Viking (and our other lines of choice) is very appealing.

However I would mention that my 24 year old wears very short or very long with lots of sparkle and skin when she goes "out out" as opposed to just "out" and she thinks that my 'going out' stuff is incredibly boring. Perhaps it's an 'age' thing.

Hope everyone had a lovely Christmas and looking forward to a lovely cruise.

PS Decided will pack sparkly and jeans ! All situations covered but may struggle with BA's 23 kilo suitcase limit.

Just shows how stressed I am after Christmas Dinner for 10 and a houseful plus lovely visitors with a dog that stole all my little schnauzer dog's toys and a grandchild who decided she didnt want to sleep in the assigned bedroom (Mum had had a little too much vino and left the proceedings to sleep with the 2 year old) let alone worrying about what to pack. Our cruise starts on the 28th !

Can't wait to be on the cruise. No food shopping, somebody else decides on the menu, and I can chill out in the spa. Note to self ... pack swimming costume.

Just started packing for my 29th December cruise. All I can say is this thread has made life harder. Our cruise includes New Year's Eve - should I pack a little sparkle or some dungarees !

Actually to be fair I dont really care what others think. I will dress up a little because I enjoy it. Friends cruise on Cunard and love it but I can't get into any of the lovely long evening dresses at the far end of my wardrobe and the shoes would be far too uncomfortable and DH would certainly not fit into his Dinner Suit and Black tie so the free and easy dress code of Viking (and our other lines of choice) is very appealing.

However I would mention that my 24 year old wears very short or very long with lots of sparkle and skin when she goes "out out" as opposed to just "out" and she thinks that my 'going out' stuff is incredibly boring. Perhaps it's an 'age' thing.

PS Decided will pack sparkly and jeans ! All situations covered but may struggle with BA's 23 kilo suitcase limit.

Mrs. M -- dungarees are heavy, so DH will wear his rather than pack them. So pack the sparkly and wear the jeans.

I do laugh at your description of what your daughter wears when she goes "out out" and honestly the image of 400 women my age or older dressed in short dresses and lots of skin sitting down to dinner is now dancing in my head, like a nightmare. There are worse fashion faux pas than wearing jeans to dinner. I'm also thinking that maybe your daughter would reconsider her "boring" declaration if you would go shopping with her and try on some of the outfits she sports for her to see.

See ya Thursday!

• 8 months later...
I live in Tucson, AZ, where a jacket and tie or nice dress is required nowhere, at any time. I wear scrubs for work. My idea of dressing up is my nice dark indigo or black jeans with a nice top and boots or nice shoes. I have leggings and tunic tops as well that I wear for "dress". My husband, on the ship, wore chinos and polos but I can't remember the last time he wore a pair of chinos at home. It's jeans and polos for dress. So, we don't care what anyone wears. I agree about the baseball caps and torn t shirts. But...when you are sitting at the table nobody sees what is on your legs anyway!!:D:D:D:D I was on the 3 week cruise with deec and many folks in the restaurant had jeans on. Nobody cared. I asked the dining room manager and she said that it was fine.

Thanks for this summary - being from Scottsdale I am in the same boat. I will just pack my jeans and a spare pair of black pants in case I am kicked out and I have to go change :)

This may all be true but a guy just posted about his Northern Lights cruise on a FB page about Viking and said he tried to wear jeans to the restaurant and he had to go change and come back. So I guess it depends. It is such a small matter to bring the right clothes. I brought two pair of pants that were not jeans and knew that if I was going to one of three restaurants on the ship that state you should wear them, I put them on. If you want to be more relaxed and casual, there is nothing wrong with the World Café. Often the same food is served(if you ask). This is a respect thing for Viking. I'm not saying the ship is like a church but if you wear a hat or are not 'properly' dressed they will approach you about the matter. In reality, is it really a deal breaker and if so, why aren't you going on another cruise line where they don't have the policy?

My amusement is not so much with endless discussion of what to wear....but with the fact that in September you are packing for the end of December!!!! I've given plenty of thought to what to pack, especially since we will be leaving snowmageddon and flying into the dog days of summer, but I just got off a plane a couple days ago and I'll be jiggered if I'm going to start repacking for December.

My amusement is not so much with endless discussion of what to wear....but with the fact that in September you are packing for the end of December!!!! I've given plenty of thought to what to pack, especially since we will be leaving snowmageddon and flying into the dog days of summer, but I just got off a plane a couple days ago and I'll be jiggered if I'm going to start repacking for December.

LOL. Check the date of her posting. This is a resurrected thread.

You might want to check the date of my post. 26th December 2017 for my departure on December 29th 2017 i.e. 3 days before.

I am booked on Viking Sky for the 30th December 2018 but since I have a Scenic River Cruise on the Rhine, then a lovely trip to Reims and Paris at the end of November I will probably not be thinking about what to pack just yet.

These dress code threads are hilarious.

You might want to check the date of my post. 26th December 2017 for my departure on December 29th 2017 i.e. 3 days before.

I am booked on Viking Sky for the 30th December 2018 but since I have a Scenic River Cruise on the Rhine, then a lovely trip to Reims and Paris at the end of November I will probably not be thinking about what to pack just yet.

These dress code threads are hilarious.

Point well taken...I could have looked, but it was too much fun responding anyway. Yes they are a good source of amusement.