Viking Jupiter versus rest of fleet

OKCowboy

We are signed up for a cruise on Viking Jupiter next Spring.

Does anyone know of any changes in ship configuration from earlier Viking Ships on which we have cruised?

Following this thread.

Curious, however, since the Jupiter will be our first Viking Ocean cruise,

I guess "changes" really do not matter for us(?):)

We are signed up for a cruise on Viking Jupiter next Spring. Does anyone know of any changes in ship configuration from earlier Viking Ships on which we have cruised?

We have cruised on Viking Sun and Sky, the Sun being the newer ship. The only difference we noticed was that Sun's cabin curtains were electronically operated as opposed to simply pulling them back and forth. This certainly wasn't significant and interestingly, a ship officer told us the change was a result of a suggestion an earlier passenger had given.

On the Cruise Critic website at the top of the first page, one can enter Viking Jupiter and find a complete description of the ship to be launched in February 2019. I did not read any differences from what we experienced with their other ships.

My husband and I are booked on Jupiter from Barcelona to Buenos Aires in Nov 2019.

All of the floor plans on the Viking website reflect identical floorplans, but that doesn't mean there won't be some changes on Jupiter. Hopefully it will have the planetarium that was first featured on Orion (and Orion's floorplan on the website doesn't reflect the planetarium either). I'm sure the basic floorplan will remain the same as the other ships in the Ocean fleet, but I suspect there will be some changes that do not require a revision of the basic floorplan. (We'll be on board for the March 2019 Cities of Antiquity/Holy Land cruise so I guess we'll know soon!)

All of the floor plans on the Viking website reflect identical floorplans, but that doesn't mean there won't be some changes on Jupiter. Hopefully it will have the planetarium that was first featured on Orion (and Orion's floorplan on the website doesn't reflect the planetarium either). I'm sure the basic floorplan will remain the same as the other ships in the Ocean fleet, but I suspect there will be some changes that do not require a revision of the basic floorplan. (We'll be on board for the March 2019 Cities of Antiquity/Holy Land cruise so I guess we'll know soon!)

Where is the planetarium located?

We were on the Orion in July and experienced the planetarium. It wasn’t really being used as a planetarium but as a domed 3D movie theater. Two different movies were available, one was about the NASA program and the other was about the midnight sun (and darkness) in Norway. Somewhat entertaining, but we had hoped for a true planetarium and some astronomy lessons. Maybe that will come in the future. The overall cruise experience and ship were fabulous, but the planetarium was a bit of a let down for us.

I think there is a telescope up in that lounge ???? One on an outside deck would be wonderful.....we spent days looking for the the Southern Cross! My husband had an app...I think Starwalker and that helped.

An astronomical telescope on a cruise ship wouldn't work. It has to be kept absolutely still, and that might not even work when tied to a dock. Definitely not when sailing. It would require some sort of gyro-stabilized mount or perhaps a CCD viewfinder with digital image stabilization.

Fun idea, though.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

We noticed a recent Viking Ocean price drop :

Took advantage, and saved $600 on our 2019 Jupiter Southern Crossing,

DELUXE VERANDA (DV4) from $6,100 reduced to $5,799 - Per Person

Be aware of Viking, which does not allow you to transfer their insurance(?)

(We have third party insurance.)

Michael

Edited by $hip$hape

We noticed a recent Viking Ocean price drop :

Took advantage, and saved $600 on our 2019 Jupiter Southern Crossing,

DELUXE VERANDA (DV4) from $6,100 reduced to $5,799 - Per Person

Be aware of Viking, which does not allow you to transfer their insurance(?)

(We have third party insurance.)

Michael

This is absolutely right - we learned the hard way. We bought Viking insurance and they refused to allow us to cancel the first booking (even though we would be paying the cancellation fee) and rebook at the lower price (saving $600). They would not allow us to transfer their insurance to the new booking even though we could transfer the insurance to another Viking cruise (even a river one). just not this one. Needless to say, this is the last time we will buy Viking insurance. And, after 2 wonderful previous cruises with them, this leaves a bad taste in my mouth.