Permission from other parent on Carnival

drenee73

I have searched and can't find anything recent.

We are cruising in Jul and my grandkids are all mixed up with custody situations.

1. Birth Cert says father unknown - no worries, right?

2. 3 with the other parent not coming - need something notarized - but what? My PVP gave me a form for kids under 18 cruising without a relative in a group and said "that will work." but I know the mom of 2 won't sign something this not accurate thing. What do we need to get signed?

Fast forward to June next year - we're booking with more family and I have 2 kids in that group that have dad named on birth certificates that walked out on them. They are tweens and have never met their dad. But he's named. We don't even know where he is or if he's alive. Mom is remarried with another child. What do we do there?

While I'm curious about other lines, I just need info from Carnival.

Thanks!

We have cruised Carnival with my stepson, different last name, since he was 9. We always get a notarized letter from his father. We have never been asked for it. We have also cruised with some of his friends and never been asked for a letter for them either. We just typed a generic letter with the date and where we were going and had it signed. Someone will come on here and tell you it is required and they will even tell you they know someone or saw someone who was denied boarding without it. Maybe, I doubt it, we just got them because it was easy to do. If it were an issue to get I would go and not worry about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268/~/children---child-traveling-with-one-parent-or-someone-who-is-not-a-parent-or

If there is no second parent with legal claims to the child (deceased, sole custody, etc.) any other relevant paperwork, such as a court decision, birth certificate naming only one parent, death certificate, etc., would be useful.

So the BC showing 'no father' ought to be sufficient. With the tweens, it seems a court order is necessary if you want to be really careful.

In the case where the mom won't sign anything, you might want to go for a court order there also. That is probably the most risky situation, since it sounds like the mother is disagreeable and could conceivably cause issues intentionally.

There was a post (I believe it was here) a few months back where some parents were taking the daughter's friend. The mother of the friend-child did not inform or get consent from the father, and IIRC lied to the generous people offering to take their child on a cruise. The father showed up on the doorstep of the friends saying that he would deny permission. I think he relented, but you can see where a vindictive parent could cause some hassle.

We are one of the many who have traveled with a niece with a different last name and were never questioned or asked for a form. Still, in that case it's very simple to get done and quite reasonable to ask the parents to spend 15 minutes so their child can have a free cruise. We'd obviously get the form, even though it's 99% unlikely to be requested.

I don't think the OP said the mom of 2 won't sign...Just that the vague 'that will work' form wouldn't be precise/accurate enough for her. EM

[seems like my prior response got lost, so this may wind up as a duplicate]

Yes, I can see it that way too, now that you mention it.

OP, I would send the link I posted above, as well as: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1254/kw/1254/sno/1

As long as the Carnival form generally meets this criteria, that seems to be about as official as you're going to get given there is no defined criteria. Hopefully the momma will be happy with that. ;)

Also check the US State Department website. I've heard of people being fine when boarding, but facing questions when returning to the USA.

When I sailed with DD without DH, I had what someone else described...a detailed letter with our information (including passport numbers), ship name, sailing date and ports. It said he gave permission for me to take DD and he had it notarized. We were not asked for it, but I was glad I had it just in case.

1. For children who have no father's name on the BC, you need a notarized "Permission to Travel" letter signed by mom, and you should also have a medical treatment permission form signed.

2. If dad is named on BC, and mom can't find him, that's harder because I am assuming dad/s have not had their parental rights terminated. Mom's remarriage and additional children are irrelevant.

Mom should consult with an attorney; she can go to court and get the court to issue an order allowing this children with missing dad to leave the country.

Without this, you could be denied boarding. Sometimes you are asked for all this paperwork, and sometimes you aren't. No one here can guarantee what will happen to you. I have traveled extensively with my DD and sometimes one of her friends. I have been asked for these documents many times, but sometimes I'm not asked for anything.

The comment to just go and not worry about it is horrible advice.

Edited by 6rugrats

1. For children who have no father's name on the BC, you need a notarized "Permission to Travel" letter signed by mom, and you should also have a medical treatment permission form signed.

2. If dad is named on BC, and mom can't find him, that's harder because I am assuming dad/s have not had their parental rights terminated. Mom's remarriage and additional children are irrelevant.

Mom should consult with an attorney; she can go to court and get the court to issue an order allowing this children with missing dad to leave the country.

Without this, you could be denied boarding. Sometimes you are asked for all this paperwork, and sometimes you aren't. No one here can guarantee what will happen to you. I have traveled extensively with my DD and sometimes one of her friends. I have been asked for these documents many times, but sometimes I'm not asked for anything.

I agree with the whole response. We have traveled with grandchildren and have always been asked when returning to the ship as well as during boarding. Depending where your cruise is going (like Canada) you will for sure need their passports AND the NOTARIZED letter. I have been asked for it each and every time.

One cruise we were traveling through Miami on our way to Puerto Rico. My brother was held up at LAX and not allowed to board the plane until he showed his divorced degree giving him full and legal custody and a document from the courts.

The letter should state where you are traveling, your names, the children's names, the dates, the mode of transportation (the ship) and where you are going. It should also give you permission to treat medically.

Or you can take your chances and maybe end up missing the ship and your vacation with no refund and disappointed kids.

This is not a cruise line issue, it is a customs and immigration issue. No matter what a Carnival rep or experienced Carnival travelers tell you, it's US Customs and Immigration making the call on you boarding/disembarking. Cruise lines have forms available to help you, but it is not their form, nor their rules that you need to worry about. And yes, an over cautious cruise check in agent can stop you too. I've been briefly detained by an airline check in agent when returning TO the US without the letter (my mistake) . You need to go here: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268/~/children---child-traveling-with-one-parent-or-someone-who-is-not-a-parent-or

This is not a cruise line issue, it is a customs and immigration issue. No matter what a Carnival rep or experienced Carnival travelers tell you, it's US Customs and Immigration making the call on you boarding/disembarking. Cruise lines have forms available to help you, but it is not their form, nor their rules that you need to worry about. And yes, an over cautious cruise check in agent can stop you too. I've been briefly detained by an airline check in agent when returning TO the US without the letter (my mistake) . You need to go here: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268/~/children---child-traveling-with-one-parent-or-someone-who-is-not-a-parent-or

All my experiences have been with Customs/Immigration. The ship rarely asks, although they did last cruise.

I agree with this advice. I have a son who's father is decease; until he became an adult, I traveled with his passport and the death certificate. I have another son from a divorce and his father provides a notarized letter of travel wherever we go internationally, as well as a medical treatment authorization for his step-dad, should I become incapacitated. We have taken probably 10 cruises, as well as numerous other vacations and never been asked on any of them for any paperwork at any time. But if they ask, I am prepared.

• 1 year later...

Similar issue with Parental Consent: I was held in line on a Royal Caribbean Cruise for 3 hours last year because I did not have a notarized letter from my husband stating she could travel with me on the 3 day cruise. They made it perfectly clear they were not going to let me on the board. After speaking with 4 different agents and pointing out that if I was going to flee the country with my daughter, I wouldn't be bringing my husband's mother and grandmother with me, they conceded and let us board as they were preparing to disembark. It's all in who you get. Don't gamble, just do some type of letter !!!! [/color]

There are a few places where the consent may be asked for:

1) Airlines.

2) TSA in airports.

3) Cruise line

4) Customs/Immigration

In my experience, any of them may ask or may not ask. :) If they are training someone, you'll be asked. If they are on heightened awareness for any reason, you'll be asked. Some countries that you have visited might make it more likely that you'll be asked. So just be prepared!

Even if you are not planning to fly to port, if there is a chance you may need to fly - you'll need to be prepared.

A simple printed note with your name (and your spouse's name if applicable), your intended itinerary, travel dates, each absent parent/guardian's name and notarized signatures, with a simple "permission to travel" statement. If neither parent/guardian is traveling, you will also need a document granting you authority to make medical decisions as necessary.

Be glad if they do ask, because they are doing their job and part of that job is to detect trafficking and other illegal activities