Camp Ocean -- how strictly do they enforce age limitations

DukeASUGirl

My children are 6 and 8, so they will be together in Camp Ocean on this upcoming cruise. But their birthdays are less than 2 months later, so they will definitely be in two different age groups for the next one unless we wait more than 2 years (so they'll be 9 and 11).

My daughter is the older one, and she was upset when she learned that next time she would be in a different group than him. Is there any chance she would be allowed to "age down" and remain in that middle age group?

I don't anticipate we'll be using it for TOO much time, but I know they'll want to go at least an hour or two during Fun Day at Sea.

No one can guarantee ahead of time that this type of accommodation will be granted. It’s usually easier to age down than up, and much easier to move when the kids clubs are emptier. You should ask politely at the start of the cruise when no other parents can overhear, but no one can guarantee what will happen since it’s entirely at the discretion of the staff. You should only sail if you can handle the separation or else you’ll need to find another line if it would ruin your vacation (and I understand this may or may not be a big deal for your family but I have read reviews in which the families had intended on heavily using the kids club and when the kids couldn’t go together they refused to go at all, and the parents felt their whole vacation was ruined. If you’d feel that way, you can only sail a line where the kids are grouped together or an itinerary that doesn’t appeal to families during the school year, when all the kids will be grouped together anyway. )

We asked on the Carnival Dream and were told that they could not change, even when less than 4 months of a difference. I will say that the kids all had a ball, even when separated though! Good luck!

We have cruised since our girls were babies. Friends often cruise with us. We ALWAYS get asked if kids will be allowed to stay together. We have never had a cruise line allow a child to shift to another age group. However, we have had kids have a great time - even when mom's think they cannot live without their sibling. Kids will perceive what your opinion is and often act accordingly. If you tell them this is a great opportunity to be independent and make their "own" friends - they may think differently than if you make is sound like a terrible, scary thing that they will be separated.

They will certainly not think it's scary and horrible if they're split up. They've been doing daycare since they were babies, and now that they're both in elementary school they chose to do separate summer day camps based on their interests.

The younger one actually doesn't care. It's the older one who told me she wants to be in the same group with her brother. She was upset when she saw the age groups are such that by our next cruise she would be in the older group. She said she wants to spend time with him.