My Review / Suggestions

Tahitianbigkahuna

Thank you Tahitianbigkahuna for your detailed review! So very helpful as we plan out the details of our trip in July2018! Much appreciated, as I know it took a lot of your time!

Thanks for the kudos ... love helping other people get the most out of their vacation to paradise, especially when one is going to take the PG ... one of my favorites ways to visit the South Pacific.

Does anyon know if PG deviates from there iteniary, i.e. Instead of landing in Aitutaki on 7/10, goes to Rorotonga, then back to Aitutaki? Reason, if book Tekings tour and the days shift, then we probably would loose this excursion.

Yes the ship can make diviations ... this can be due to weather or if there is going to be another large ship visiting the same island on the same day. Doesn’t happen often but it does happy occasionally ...

• 2 weeks later...

Wow BigKahuna what wonderful wealth of info. My wife and I are wanting to try PG -- December 7th sailing of 2019 for our 25th Anniversary. We are trying decide if we should do the cruise or stay at the Four Seasons. Our time is limited, so we cannot stay long enough for both other than to arrive the day before or morning of the cruise. This post sure has us leaning towards the PG. However, we have stayed at any Four Seasons resorts and we want similar quality from the PG. We were spoiled by going on a short cruise on Siiverseas that was 1st class and we are beginning to believe PG is of the same class. All of this being said, we are working with a friend who is a travel agent who has been on the PG and she said it is spectacular. We just want to eat and drink outstanding food and enjoy getting out to see as much as possible. Your post has been a great source for us. Hopefully, we will have a decision soon which will lead us to more questions regarding flights and Cabin category. Thank you again for the info.

Wow BigKahuna what wonderful wealth of info. My wife and I are wanting to try PG -- December 7th sailing of 2019 for our 25th Anniversary. We are trying decide if we should do the cruise or stay at the Four Seasons. Our time is limited, so we cannot stay long enough for both other than to arrive the day before or morning of the cruise. This post sure has us leaning towards the PG. However, we have stayed at any Four Seasons resorts and we want similar quality from the PG. We were spoiled by going on a short cruise on Siiverseas that was 1st class and we are beginning to believe PG is of the same class. All of this being said, we are working with a friend who is a travel agent who has been on the PG and she said it is spectacular. We just want to eat and drink outstanding food and enjoy getting out to see as much as possible. Your post has been a great source for us. Hopefully, we will have a decision soon which will lead us to more questions regarding flights and Cabin category. Thank you again for the info.

The Paul Gauguin is by far the best choice to see the most when you have a limited amount of time. The crew/staff is second to none, you will be pampered. Several cruise lines excel in the food category and your bar is set high from the example to gave. I can only say I've never been disappointed on a Paul Gauguin cruise but I'll admit I've never been on other high end cruises so I have nothing to compare with.

Remember the Paul Gauguin isn't the newest or fanciest ship, what makes the Paul Gauguin special is the crew/staff and the incredible scenery you will be encountering.

But back to the location and your choices. What my better half often says is she loves unpacking once but you get to enjoy a different island/scenery almost every day. She is not one to want to bounce around from island to island and unpack and pack several times, the Paul Gauguin allows to to see/encounter so much of Polynesia while only unpacking once. To see as much of Polynesia by staying at resorts you would spend considerable more money and spend much of your time transferring from resort to resort.

In closing I'll simply say we've done French Polynesia many many times and we both prefer the Paul Gauguin over a resort though a day or two pre/post is nice so you can acclimate to the local time. Feel free to ask questions when you've made your choice ;)

I am brand new to this board and have just finished reading through this whole trip report. Thank you Tahitianbigkahuna for all of this valuable information. My hubby and I will be on the Nov 10, 2018 PG cruise. We will be celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary and my 50th birthday.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. What an amazing thread. Wonderful insight, amazing photos and absolute friendliness to those who are seeking to share in just some of what you have shown. You'll be hearing from me more in the future, as I plan to take my first PG cruise in 2020. I just want to thank you (and all the others) for your time. This takes tremendous work.

I am brand new to this board and have just finished reading through this whole trip report. Thank you Tahitianbigkahuna for all of this valuable information. My hubby and I will be on the Nov 10, 2018 PG cruise. We will be celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary and my 50th birthday.

Glad to help ... feel free to ask more questions ... be glad to answer them :)

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. What an amazing thread. Wonderful insight, amazing photos and absolute friendliness to those who are seeking to share in just some of what you have shown. You'll be hearing from me more in the future, as I plan to take my first PG cruise in 2020. I just want to thank you (and all the others) for your time. This takes tremendous work.

Glad you are enjoying and glean all you can. Looking forward to you asking questions ;)

Here’s one for you TBK, does the Tahiti IC have a shuttle or bus to/from airport or town? Want to go in to book ferry tickets to Moorea and try the food trucks. If not any idea about taxi costs?

Also have you used PG to book the IC as opposed to booking it yourself for pre/post cruise?

Many thanks for any help,

Wendy and David ( not the Wanderers!)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Here’s one for you TBK, does the Tahiti IC have a shuttle or bus to/from airport or town? Want to go in to book ferry tickets to Moorea and try the food trucks. If not any idea about taxi costs?

Also have you used PG to book the IC as opposed to booking it yourself for pre/post cruise?

Many thanks for any help,

Wendy and David ( not the Wanderers!)

The IC does have a shuttle that goes to town a few times a day. Not sure how late it runs in the evenings. There is a small charge for the shuttle from what I remember.

Taxis are readily available from the IC. After sunset the price goes up, I would figure $30 after dusk to the food trucks at the waterfront.

There is also a bus that picks up and drops off right in front of the IC. I've taken before but not after dark. Figure 30 minutes between buses and they run late, probably 10 pm. The price is right ;);)

I've booked the IC through PG and directly ...

I have another query. We can’t get to see a dance performance at the Tahiti IC due to our travel dates so wonder where to see a good performance on Moorea? We’re staying at the Hilton but happy to travel to see a good one. Do they do day performances or just night time dinner ones?

Many thanks Wendy

I have another query. We can’t get to see a dance performance at the Tahiti IC due to our travel dates so wonder where to see a good performance on Moorea? We’re staying at the Hilton but happy to travel to see a good one. Do they do day performances or just night time dinner ones?

Many thanks Wendy

Night time ...

Usually there are only a few groups who perform on each island and they rotate between the resorts.

All the major resorts will have a show, usually on different nights.

• 1 month later...

Great Blog. I will be taking the PG Marquesas Tuomotus Society Islands in October. Do you think it is necessary to take the PG tours on the islands or are there some we can do on our own, or which ones do we really need to take?

Also, we only have the last day in Papeete, arrive Fri. leave Saturday midnight. I want to buy vanilla beans. Do I have time to go to Tahiti Aromes? Thanks

Tahiti Aromes is on Moorea, well their main facility is. Go there during the stop on Moorea ;)

As far as excursions there are good ones both from the ship and private. I've done both and enjoy both. On some islands it's best to take the ship excursions as there are limitations of available excursions. On Bora Bora and Moorea there are more excursions both ship and private so you might read the boards and glean a bit before making a decision. Also keep in mind the ship excursions are almost always likely to go whereas some private vendors require a minimum amount of people and if that number is not reached they cancel the excursion.

What I will say is the Marquesas is all about the island experience. Moorea and Huahine can go either meaning land or lagoon. On Bora Bora and the atolls it's primarily about the lagoon and on Tahaa it's about Motu Mahana with the primary exception being the drift snorkel. Remember you can do the drift snorkel and then you are taken to the motu so you can enjoy both.

• 1 month later...

TBK, I just wanted to thank you for the incredible amount of time and effort you put into this thread. Massive amounts of very valuable information here, and I know many, including myself are very grateful. My wife and I are sailing on Sept 8th on PG on an 11 day Society and Cook Islands cruise. Our first time in French Polynesia, so first time on PG. We'll be staying at ICH Papeete our night of arrival, then 2 nights at ICH Moorea pre cruise, as well as 4 nights ICH Thalasso Bora Bora post cruise. Again, thank you, I'm going to your photo tips thread to ask a couple of questions on equipment.

Randy

TBK, I just wanted to thank you for the incredible amount of time and effort you put into this thread. Massive amounts of very valuable information here, and I know many, including myself are very grateful. My wife and I are sailing on Sept 8th on PG on an 11 day Society and Cook Islands cruise. Our first time in French Polynesia, so first time on PG. We'll be staying at ICH Papeete our night of arrival, then 2 nights at ICH Moorea pre cruise, as well as 4 nights ICH Thalasso Bora Bora post cruise. Again, thank you, I'm going to your photo tips thread to ask a couple of questions on equipment.

Randy

Thank you for the kind words :)

Always willing to give advice

Thank you for the kind words :)

Always willing to give advice

TBK - I have just been rereading your post for I don’t know how many times. I glean something new each time. Thank you so much. But here’s my question - have you considered publishing a book on the French Polynesia. Your pictures are some of the most beautiful ones I have ever seen. Just breathtaking. You really should make a book. I’d be first in line to buy. Love books of where we visit as souvenirs. Thanks again for sharing.

We are not PG cruisers but will be in FP with Celebrity Solstice mid October.

I've been spending the best part of a wonderful Sunday afternoon in Germany reading thru your excellent thread and wanted to thank you for all the recommendations.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience and best wishes!

TBK- This has been an amazing tread with invaluable information! Thank you so much for taking the time to share with us!

I am going on the PG in December. Pre-cruse, we are staying on Tahiti for one night and then Moorea for two nights. We are taking the 12:30 ferry from Moorea the day of the cruise. We are wanting to go to the market before boarding the PG.

Will we be able to leave our luggage at the port while we go to the market for a couple of hours?

I agree with the others, you should write a book!

Thanks again!

TBK - I have just been rereading your post for I don’t know how many times. I glean something new each time. Thank you so much. But here’s my question - have you considered publishing a book on the French Polynesia. Your pictures are some of the most beautiful ones I have ever seen. Just breathtaking. You really should make a book. I’d be first in line to buy. Love books of where we visit as souvenirs. Thanks again for sharing.

I've thought about it .... many times over the last decade. The problem is things do change in fP. Excursions, vendors, prices, places ... it changes. I thought about a on-line book that I update continually as I find new information. We shall see .... I'm not the best writer, I good at in-person communication.

Again thanks for the kind words, places a smile on my face :)

We are not PG cruisers but will be in FP with Celebrity Solstice mid October.

I've been spending the best part of a wonderful Sunday afternoon in Germany reading thru your excellent thread and wanted to thank you for all the recommendations.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience and best wishes!

Well who knows .... many get the Tahitian Flu and need to return .... maybe next time on the PG ;)

Glad you enjoyed ....

TBK- This has been an amazing tread with invaluable information! Thank you so much for taking the time to share with us!

I am going on the PG in December. Pre-cruse, we are staying on Tahiti for one night and then Moorea for two nights. We are taking the 12:30 ferry from Moorea the day of the cruise. We are wanting to go to the market before boarding the PG.

Will we be able to leave our luggage at the port while we go to the market for a couple of hours?

I agree with the others, you should write a book!

Thanks again!

If you show up a few minutes early there is a chance that they might take your bags in the secured area. Don't count on it but it is possible. Official check-in is 3:00 pm.

Remember this is a small ship and they do a 24 hour turnaround ..... this is the main port / time for crew members to get a few hours to themselves so be sensitive to the situation. Once your on-board you will fall in love with this small ship and it's incredible crew ;)