drinks package on Azura

No because BOGOF would mean buying one and getting another exactly the same free where if you buy the Ultimate drinks package you get a free Childrens package which is only half the price so hardly BOGOF.

But still something more desirable than the package being offered to couples.

So to be fair passengers with no children should only pay £26.63. We would still not buy the package as we are light drinkers but why should passengers with no children subsidise other people's children ?

Just a thought, are P&O trying to get rid of childless passengers in order to call themselves a family only line ?

Dont know how you work your figures out but Ultimate drinks package is £39-95pppd and you get one free drinks package per Ultimate package taken out which is £7-95pp so unless I am misguided that would make the Ultimate £32 and not £26-63.

So to be fair passengers with no children should only pay £26.63. We would still not buy the package as we are light drinkers but why should passengers with no children subsidise other people's children ?

Nobody is subsidising anyone else.

The underlying cost of the drink is buttons so whatever they charged they would cover their costs.

All that is happening with the difference in price is those without children are contributing more to P&O profits than those with children for this aspect (I am sure the pendulum swings the other way for some other items).

Nobody is subsidising anyone else.

The underlying cost of the drink is buttons so whatever they charged they would cover their costs.

All that is happening with the difference in price is those without children are contributing more to P&O profits than those with children for this aspect (I am sure the pendulum swings the other way for some other items).

Yes they are. In the same way that “free” children’s meals and seats on airplanes are subsidised by other passengers.

I have never seen the “pendulum swing the other way” on any cruise or land based holiday. I would be genuinely interested to know about any example where this was the case.

Awaiting incoming 😈

The price of cruises in school holiday time are far, far higher than the equivalent cruise in term time, so you could argue that provides a counter balance to the cheap deals available at other times of the year.

But in reality does it matter? You pay a price you're happy to pay, buy a drinks package if you want(or not), etc, etc. Just be happy that you're still able to cruise and stop worrying about what other people are doing.

The price of cruises in school holiday time are far, far higher than the equivalent cruise in term time, so you could argue that provides a counter balance to the cheap deals available at other times of the year.

But in reality does it matter? You pay a price you're happy to pay, buy a drinks package if you want(or not), etc, etc. Just be happy that you're still able to cruise and stop worrying about what other people are doing.

I agree completely if the Ultimate drinks package does not appeal or you dont drink or enough to make it practical then nobody is forcing you to purchase if others do then thats their decision and not my concern will just buy drink when needed as I have always done without worrying about others or who subsidises who.

I agree completely if the Ultimate drinks package does not appeal or you dont drink or enough to make it practical then nobody is forcing you to purchase if others do then thats their decision and not my concern will just buy drink when needed as I have always done without worrying about others or who subsidises who.

But it might become a problem if P&O follow RCI and Celebrity and increase all drink prices once they started a drinks package.

But it might become a problem if P&O follow RCI and Celebrity and increase all drink prices once they started a drinks package.

And if they restrict what you can bring onboard to drink in your cabin to encourage more to buy the package?

The majority of people have said they wouldn’t get their monies worth on this drinks package but I wonder if thats because they just don’t drink or whether it’s because they bring a litre of spirits on pp and drink in their cabin. Also if they’re higher tier they may well have free drinks included so just take advantage of that and don’t buy anymore.

I wouldn’t choose to drink in my cabin and am not higher tier on P&O so the package is attractive to me. 4 x £6.75 a glass wine is £27pd add a cocktail round the pool 3/4 bottles of water coffees and soft drinks and I’d reach £40 without too much difficulty.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And if they restrict what you can bring onboard to drink in your cabin to encourage more to buy the package?

The majority of people have said they wouldn’t get their monies worth on this drinks package but I wonder if thats because they just don’t drink or whether it’s because they bring a litre of spirits on pp and drink in their cabin. Also if they’re higher tier they may well have free drinks included so just take advantage of that and don’t buy anymore.

I wouldn’t choose to drink in my cabin and am not higher tier on P&O so the package is attractive to me. 4 x £6.75 a glass wine is £27pd add a cocktail round the pool 3/4 bottles of water coffees and soft drinks and I’d reach £40 without too much difficulty.

We drink, but nowhere near to the extent that this package would be of benefit. We would be massively out of pocket. You don’t get free drinks at higher loyalty tiers (other than the odd loyalty club function, but it’s cheap plonk).

Even if you did consume as many drinks in a day you describe in your example, you would still only break even on the package, so I fail to see the incentive. Why pay up front for a package that you might struggle to get value from every single day when you can pay as you go, at reasonable prices, and have no restrictions?

BTW am I still in a minority of two in having noticed that the article in Moments magazine does not refer to a trial or Azura, but implies that it is being implemented fleet wide?

Yes they are. In the same way that “free” children’s meals and seats on airplanes are subsidised by other passengers.

No they are not for several reasons.

In your example a seat used by a child or adult there is a limited quantity of seats so if the airline gives away the seat to the child it cannot sell the seat to the adult and could therefore suffer a loss. That is not the case with the drinks package where there is an unlimited quantity.

With an airline there is a certain occupancy before costs are covered. Give away too many seats to children and you need to increase prices for paying adults to ensure you don't make a loss. Again not the same with the drinks package as the children don't get to consume alcohol, only soft drinks which only cost P&O a few pence each. So you should compare the underlying costs of the two groups of adults (those with and without children) and if adults with no children paid less they would be subsidising those with children.

Lastly you have overlooked that P&O may sell more cruises to families by offering this deal, which is the reason why tour operators give away 'free' seats only when they dramatically increase their prices in school holidays.

In your example a seat used by a child or adult there is a limited quantity of seats so if the airline gives away the seat to the child it cannot sell the seat to the adult and could therefore suffer a loss. That is not the case with the drinks package where there is an unlimited quantity.

With an airline there is a certain occupancy before costs are covered. Give away too many seats to children and you need to increase prices for paying adults to ensure you don't make a loss. Again not the same with the drinks package as the children don't get to consume alcohol, only soft drinks which only cost P&O a few pence each. So you should compare the underlying costs of the two groups of adults (those with and without children) and if adults with no children paid less they would be subsidising those with children.

Lastly you have overlooked that P&O may sell more cruises to families by offering this deal, which is the reason why tour operators give away 'free' seats only when they dramatically increase their prices in school holidays.

I think alcoholic drinks only cost a few pence each as well as it appears the cruise lines buy the booze tax and duty free? so a bottle of scotch costs them a fiver and they get 30 shots out of a bottle at 17 pence each:eek:

We drink, but nowhere near to the extent that this package would be of benefit. We would be massively out of pocket. You don’t get free drinks at higher loyalty tiers (other than the odd loyalty club function, but it’s cheap plonk).

Even if you did consume as many drinks in a day you describe in your example, you would still only break even on the package, so I fail to see the incentive. Why pay up front for a package that you might struggle to get value from every single day when you can pay as you go, at reasonable prices, and have no restrictions?

BTW am I still in a minority of two in having noticed that the article in Moments magazine does not refer to a trial or Azura, but implies that it is being implemented fleet wide?

Yes but I would then, if I had the package, feel free to have say a nightcap or try a cocktail ( or two).

I think for us, on a Caribbean cruise over New Year with a family group we’d come out on top without too much trouble. But I understand it’s not for everyone, which is fine, to each his own.

Sorry, you are entitled to your opinion but I don’t agree. Everything costs something both for the actual product and for the staffing to order, deliver, stock, maintain and serve it (and clean the glasses afterwords😀) so if you give it to one group for free it adds to overheads and so to costs more generally.

If P &O offered a joint package to adults with one alcohol package and one soft drinks package in a cabin I am sure it would be very popular. The non / light drinker could then pay for the odd alcoholic drink they wanted.

Like others I suspect that the prices of drinks will rise if AI comes in across the fleet to make it look more cost effective. The restriction on what you could take onboard came just before it was trialled and that was no conincidence, it was strategy.

Sorry, you are entitled to your opinion but I don’t agree. Everything costs something both for the actual product and for the staffing to order, deliver, stock, maintain and serve it (and clean the glasses afterwords[emoji3]) so if you give it to one group for free it adds to overheads and so to costs more generally.

If P &O offered a joint package to adults with one alcohol package and one soft drinks package in a cabin I am sure it would be very popular. The non / light drinker could then pay for the odd alcoholic drink they wanted.

Like others I suspect that the prices of drinks will rise if AI comes in across the fleet to make it look more cost effective. The restriction on what you could take onboard came just before it was trialled and that was no conincidence, it was strategy.

Trouble with allowing one person only to buy the package is that people would inevitably share the alcoholic drinks.

I agree with your comment on the restriction on bring alcohol on board however and wonder how long it will be till this is reduced further.

I do have sympathy with seasoned P&O cruisers who are used to bringing their own alcohol on board and thereby significantly reducing their on board spend - I don’t think P&O (and Cunard) can avoid the drinks package for much longer.

Dont know how you work your figures out but Ultimate drinks package is £39-95pppd and you get one free drinks package per Ultimate package taken out which is £7-95pp so unless I am misguided that would make the Ultimate £32 and not £26-63.

I worked my figures out based on your earlier post that said :

if you buy the Ultimate drinks package you get a free Childrens package which is only half the price

:D

I worked my figures out based on your earlier post that said :

if you buy the Ultimate drinks package you get a free Childrens package which is only half the price

:D

You don't get a free children's package. The children's package is included in the Ultimate Package.

Trouble with allowing one person only to buy the package is that people would inevitably share the alcoholic drinks.

I agree with your comment on the restriction on bring alcohol on board however and wonder how long it will be till this is reduced further.

I do have sympathy with seasoned P&O cruisers who are used to bringing their own alcohol on board and thereby significantly reducing their on board spend - I don’t think P&O (and Cunard) can avoid the drinks package for much longer.

Yes I suppose you would always get some people who would try to cheat the system.

The 15 minute time restriction would make it difficult and I doubt they could do it in the restaurant, theatre or one of the main bars. It would however be comparatively easy in the out door areas.

That said before the restriction of bringing onboard personal alcohol there were reports of people drinking their own in public areas. Some people have necks of pure brass.

We were once on Azura one evening in Manhattan when one of the waiters was clearing tables and he said to us, as he cleared the table next to us of empty cans of beer, that they didnt sell that particular brand of beer on the ship with a smile on his face so people do bring their own drinks onboard and drink them in public bars.

Yes I suppose you would always get some people who would try to cheat the system.

The 15 minute time restriction would make it difficult and I doubt they could do it in the restaurant, theatre or one of the main bars. It would however be comparatively easy in the out door areas.

That said before the restriction of bringing onboard personal alcohol there were reports of people drinking their own in public areas. Some people have necks of pure brass.

I've seen people in bar areas sitting all night, taking seats that others could of used, but not buying or drinking anything. While 'paying customers' went elsewhere. Sometimes to another bar but sometimes to their cabin.

Not sure what I'm trying to say, but is one worse than the other?

My thoughts entirely,

I do have the occasional glass of wine but I am mainly a beer drinker, sorry about lowering the tone.

My Wife is the wine drinker.

Therefore the package would be of no interest to us at current on-board prices.

My thoughts entirely,

I do have the occasional glass of wine but I am mainly a beer drinker, sorry about lowering the tone.

My Wife is the wine drinker.

Therefore the package would be of no interest to us at current on-board prices.

The last sentence is the nub of the matter. Will prices rise to make the package worthwhile?

The last sentence is the nub of the matter. Will prices rise to make the package worthwhile?

Very true, I guess time will tell.

As you have probably noticed there is a new thread that may be helpful in indicating any future price increases.

£40 per day on Cunard would be great value !!