Autism at Sea

Cruisefanatic71

I have looked into this organization as a way to make my daughters cruise experience just a little better. Has anyone used their services and could you share about your experience with them? We are scheduling a walk through where we are able to go to the port and go through the steps it takes to understand how they work as far as getting you checked in and onto the ship in the next few weeks. Thanks for all your feedback.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

They are actually a "travel agency" - they market themselves as a service provider, but to actually partake in their offerings / staff you have to book through them / transfer your reservation. Most of their cruises are with RCCL. We've taken our now almost 5 year old on 3 Celebrity Cruises w/o Autism on the Seas - he is high functioning.... when we last went he was still in diapers and because we identified him as having autism they waved the potty trained requirement in the kids club

Have you considered paying for the priority boarding/debarkation? I think it's @ $80 per cabin, but not having to stand around in the crowds with all the lights and noise for an hour or two might be very helpful for her. The main dining room is also quieter. Some cruise lines are less stimulating as well.

I usually do pay for the priority boarding. She had been on 3 cruises already and enjoys them. Now that she is a dual diagnosis with Autism being the secondary, we were just looking at other options for her as she gets older. We are cruising this November on her 4th cruise. She does pretty good with the cruise since we know her triggers and use her favorite iPad so she can w as tch her shows when the crowds get too much for her to handle.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here’s some more information on AOTS. They do more than priority boarding. They contact the cruise line to arrange special seating in dining room. Your family will be the only ones at your table. They have always put us in a quiet corner. The servers are aware of my sons needs including his food allergies.

They work with the kids programs to make the workers aware of his needs.

Thanks for the info. We have a tour scheduled in Ft. Lauderdale on the 29th of July to see what they do. My wife is excited to see the process. We have cruised with our daughter before but as she gets older we are looking for all ways to make her cruising just as fun as it is for us.