Hygiene

FangedRose

A few months ago, in a discussion about 'excellent' scores for cabin stewards, I stated that I didn't give my steward top marks for a variety of reasons. One of which was that he left my nightwear out sometimes. I acknowledged that it was trivial, and that on it's own would not have merited a downgrading. I'm not getting into any discussion about that.

However, many responded by saying that they put their nightwear into the bedside drawer. I am the only one who finds that disgusting? The idea that people find it acceptable to place garments which have been worn into a confined space such as a drawer astounding. Especially as following passengers use the same drawer for make up, or medication or anything really. Anything I have worn is either in the wash basket or left out to air. I would never dream of stuffing worn garments into a drawer.

Am I on my own here?

I can’t believe anyone could even be bothered to ask such a question! What does it matter to you what people do?

I’m lost for words quite frankly!!

Eve

Totally agree. Thread for threads sake. Who cares? Not me

I can’t believe anyone could even be bothered to ask such a question! What does it matter to you what people do?

I’m lost for words quite frankly!!

Eve

Because of the viruses and bacteria which must multiply in damp (from worn nightwear) close and warm conditions. Which then get transferred to whatever is put into the same place later.

I don’t mean to sound rude but I think that’s a bit OTT!

If people want to put their nightwear away in a drawer, that’s totally up to them.

To each his own!!

Eve

PS sometimes I put my nightwear under my pillow,sometimes I stick it in a drawer! Can’t say I have ever caught any virus whilst on holiday either!!

I agree with you fanged rose! Now I am making a mental note to myself to Clorox wipe the insides of all the drawers and cabinets as well as the tops! I am a germophobe and not ashamed to admit it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don’t mean to sound rude but I think that’s a bit OTT!

If people want to put their nightwear away in a drawer, that’s totally up to them.

To each his own!!

Eve

PS sometimes I put my nightwear under my pillow,sometimes I stick it in a drawer! Can’t say I have ever caught any virus whilst on holiday either!!

At home I would agree with you. But a cruise cabin drawer is not 'your own'. You have rented it for duration of the cruise. You need to have consideration for those in the cabin after you.

Must say it would never occur to me to put nightwear in a drawer. Always leave it folded neatly either on top of or under my pillow. Drawers are usually filled with ‘stuff’.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I used to leave my nightie on the bed, but would find it draped over a chair or bedhead, once on the floor (I decided to give the steward the benefit of doubt and think it fell off the back of the chair). It never ever crossed my mind to hide it in a drawer and let the steward think I slept commando. ;p

I agree with you fanged rose! Now I am making a mental note to myself to Clorox wipe the insides of all the drawers and cabinets as well as the tops! I am a germophobe and not ashamed to admit it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wouldn't say I was a germaphobe. But I am careful about hand washing etc. However as I have meds which are best taken first thing in the morning an hour before eating, they are kept by the bed, usually in the drawer. After reading about what others do with their night clothes after wearing them I too will be taking anti viral wipes with me on my next cruise.

How exactly? I'm curious. Unless you have some infections skin disease?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

Yes, infection of any sort. Night clothes put in the drawer first thing will still be damp from overnight sweating (everyone sweats at night) and any bacteria from a cut or scratch or even sunburn, or virus has ideal conditions to grow. They will transfer to the drawer itself.

Germs love damp, warm conditions. And live on surfaces for weeks.

I would have tidied any nightwear away before the steward came in, whether it be in a draw, hung up or put away. I wouldn't expect the steward to have to touch my nightwear.

My sentiments entirely. :) What a daft topic.

I would have tidied any nightwear away before the steward came in, whether it be in a draw, hung up or put away. I wouldn't expect the steward to have to touch my nightwear.

My nighty was always folded on my pillow. But whether he was changing the sheets or something I would find it elsewhere. Trivial but annoying.

Edited by FangedRose

Well, they often arrange nighties artistically at turn-down, so doubt they are bothered about touching it!

Bearing in mind how many people have occupied the cabins before you there will be likely germs in more places than a drawer. I tuck my nightwear away in a drawer don't want anyone I don't know touching it! I do like to think I consider other people in my day to day life but one can take things too far. If it make you feel more settled to blitz the cabin with anti bac wipes then go for it, I will be taking some for using in the bathroom as I am OCD about that. Working on NHS wards I'm sure I come in contact with numerous bugs and viruses and I'm still standing.:D

Omg. I literally never even thought that this could be a thread, but hey ho it’s fun.

I wouldn’t expect the steward to deal with any of my clothes. I’ve always put everything away somewhere or at the very least fold it and leave it on the chair.

As for putting stuff in the drawers, well I hate to tell this to you, but the bedside drawers and the place I hide all my dirty undies and socks before they get gathered up and chucked in the laundry [emoji15]. Still those marauding bacteria have never got me yet [emoji40]

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Forums