Luggage tag holders?!

Vibrantvirgo81

Do I need luggage tag holders for our bags? How are these supposed to go on? If holders are needed isn't it kinda silly they don't provide them?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Most lines just provide luggage tags that wrap around the handle of your bag.

Holders aren't necessary.

Do I need luggage tag holders for our bags? How are these supposed to go on? If holders are needed isn't it kinda silly they don't provide them?

Only silly from passengers' point of view - anything which saves cruise lines money makes excellent sense - to them.

You will get something you can print out - a piece of paper you will have to tape, or otherwise affix, to your luggage. The clear plastic tag holders available from CC Store are useful - they come with loops to attach to your luggage handles. You can always wait until you get to the cruise terminal and get tags from the porters (with strings) to attach to your bags at the last minute - but I see this as a bit of a hassle.

My cruise is Monday, where can I get the plastics this close?

You can wait until you get to the port if you wish and ask the luggage porter to put a tag with your cabin number on it on your bag. They have cardboard tags they will write your cabin number on.

• 2 weeks later...

We usually fly to the port so we have to remove the airline luggage tags and attach the cruise luggage tags we printed at home. I've always packed clear packing tape to attach and 'laminate' the tags however...I just bought CRUISETAGS from Amazon. I'm excited to use them for my next cruise! No more clear packing tape needed for this cruiser! :)

Good idea - just wrapping a plain paper tag around the handle risks it's coming off and leaving your bag an "orphan".

Whatever you do, put a piece of paper with all the relevant details inside your suitcase just in case. Just make sure that you do not put your home address or phone number.

DON

Of course it's "silly" and yet another example of nickel/diming on most mass market lines.

Included in the cabin price of some premium and luxury cruise lines are actual vinyl, self-adhesive luggage tags (just like the ones on your airline checked bags), which are sent to you.

And that's just the beginning. Many of those better lines include things like airfare, beverages, excursions (as well as far superior food and service) at a "net daily rate" for your entire vacation that will make you think twice about bargain basement cruise ships.

Of course it's "silly" and yet another example of nickel/diming on most mass market lines.

Included in the cabin price of some premium and luxury cruise lines are actual vinyl, self-adhesive luggage tags (just like the ones on your airline checked bags), which are sent to you.

If folded and stapled per directions the self-printed tags are less likely to fall off than the old school tags on an elastic string, and are no worse than the self-adhesive kind.

And printing "custom" tags from your cruise line's online check in puts barcodes and other symbols on them that allow even the most mega of the mega-ships to get your luggage to your stateroom in the least amount of time. Twenty years ago on 1,500-2,000 passenger ships our luggage would usually appear sometime after dinner. Today on a ship more than twice the capacity the bags are in the cabin before the muster drill. So having each passenger print and attach their own luggage tags is the most efficient use of current technology, not some random "cutback" as commonly complained.

Edited by fishywood

If folded and stapled per directions the self-printed tags are less likely to fall off than the old school tags on an elastic string, and are no worse than the self-adhesive kind.

And printing "custom" tags from your cruise line's online check in puts barcodes and other symbols on them that allow even the most mega of the mega-ships to get your luggage to your stateroom in the least amount of time. Twenty years ago on 1,500-2,000 passenger ships our luggage would usually appear sometime after dinner. Today on a ship more than twice the capacity the bags are in the cabin before the muster drill. So having each passenger print and attach their own luggage tags is the most efficient use of current technology, not some random "cutback" as commonly complained.

Actually, the most "efficient use of current technology" is to have the cruise line do exactly what you've described and print them for you on the same material as is used by airlines - fold back, self adhesive, pretty much indestructible. Leaving this work up to a passenger is a bad sign of things to come (actually NOT to come [along with all the other cuts] -unless you are willing to pay extra).

Next thing you know, mass market lines will ask you to supply your own blank "sea pass" key cards (new or used) for their passenger registration at embarkation.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Oh my goodness, what a lot of advice. None of it's bad, but wow, it's a lot.

If you are flying to the port, don't put your cruise luggage tags on until you get your bags back from the airlines. The airlines sometimes rip wheels off suitcases, right? So put your cruise tags in an outside pocket for easy access once you are done with the airlines.

The truth of the matter is you don't need the tags to be on the bags until you get the bags right to the port. And even then, if you forgot, the crew at the ship's luggage check-in will print out tags and put them on your bags. But supposing you did actually print out and remember to bring your tags, and you can find them in that outside pocket, the luggage-crew will help you get them onto your bags when you get to the pier.

Yes, if it makes you happy, order some special luggage tag holders from Amazon. Or apply packing tape all over the tags you printed out before you ever left home, and then get your hotel to staple them onto multiple handles on your bags.

But really, the truth is your bags will get to your cabin. The luggage-crew will make sure that happens. Relax. This will work out just fine.

• 1 year later...