Did anyone get typhoid or other vaccinations for Asia?

Yashara

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Hep A & B, updated tetnaus, regular flu for sure. You should consult with your doctor to see if anything specific is needed based on your overall health.

Hard to say about water. What are your destinations? In general if you are not sure, stick with bottled water or cooled boiled water/tea.

Or just drink beer:D

Edited by Philob

Unless you are going into the back scrubs of Asia , with common sense precautions you should be OK .

With Asia don't eat food from street vendors especially cold, uncooked foods.

Water , drink bottled water unless your Hotel says the tap water is safe .

Most major cities Singapore, Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong, beijing, Shanghai, Tokyo etc the tap water is to high International standards.

Don't pat stray dogs, rabies !!!

As a physcian with 70 + cruises, Hep A&B and tetanus are mandatory for the cruising world.

If you eat off ship alot they do consider typhoid.

If you travel into remote jungle type areas , also consider Yellow fever.

Thanks for all the answers. I see that we will have guided off the boat tours by a tour leader who will take us only to known spots to eat. It's the Singapore to Hong Kong cruise. Been a bit worried about Typhoid. Less meds the better for me, so I won't eat any street food for sure. I should be at least somewhat safe.. No jungles on this trip.

Also, I have had Hep B, the actual disease, myself.

Thanks Doc.

Anything else to worry about? Figured out how to ward off Noro, look for the right sanitizer and wash with soap, stay out of public restrooms and carry wipes.

Great research on this site.

Thanks for all the answers. I see that we will have guided off the boat tours by a tour leader who will take us only to known spots to eat. It's the Singapore to Hong Kong cruise. Been a bit worried about Typhoid. Less meds the better for me, so I won't eat any street food for sure. I should be at least somewhat safe.. No jungles on this trip.

Also, I have had Hep B, the actual disease, myself.

Thanks Doc.

Anything else to worry about? Figured out how to ward off Noro, look for the right sanitizer and wash with soap, stay out of public restrooms and carry wipes.

Great research on this site.

If you are going ashore at dusk in some areas, DEET (contained in deep woods off) is not a bad idea. We saw very few mossies on that itinerary but they do carry dengue fever and malaria. One pax on our trip was advised by his MD to take anti malaria pills. The pills made him so sick he was laid up for the whole cruise- Singapore to HK.

• 6 years later...

I contracted Typhoid fever somewhere in Egypt. I was put off my cruise ship, taken to a hospital in Sri Lanka while the ship left me and my husband and about 15 others behind. Not sure what they all had. The medical staff at the hospital was great but gee whiz I wish I could have finished my expensive once in a:loudcry: lifetime vacation.

Typhoid vaccination was recommended to me when I went to South Africa in 2013, and again when I cruised the Mekong last year. That last one is still good for my cruise on the Irrawaddy coming up. I think it is well worthwhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I recently returned from "Path of Marco Polo" cruise from Athens to Thailand. I contracted Typhoid around Egypt; either from another passenger or on an excursion. I was put off the ship and taken to a hospital in Sri Lanka where I spent 15 days. A very expensive trip of a lifetime ruined! Get the shots. 15 passengers were put off the ship in Colombo with my husband and me. Horrible nightmare.

Yellow Fever Vaccine does have a lot of side effects and even kills people so you don't want to get it unless you really need it. It is sort of taboo to talk about side effects of most other vaccines so sometimes hard to judge but I think Typhoid Vaccine is very low risk. As someone else said I consider Hep A&B as essential even for a short trip though realistically B is pretty low risk for most people on a cruise.

I recently returned from "Path of Marco Polo" cruise from Athens to Thailand. I contracted Typhoid around Egypt; either from another passenger or on an excursion. I was put off the ship and taken to a hospital in Sri Lanka where I spent 15 days. A very expensive trip of a lifetime ruined! Get the shots. 15 passengers were put off the ship in Colombo with my husband and me. Horrible nightmare.

I live in the Middle East and have travelled within the ME & Asia throughout my time here. Upon the recommendation of my GP I keep the following vaccinations current - Polio, Tetanus, Typhoid and the combined Hep A & Hep B.

Anne..

I live in the Middle East and have travelled within the ME & Asia throughout my time here. Upon the recommendation of my GP I keep the following vaccinations current - Polio, Tetanus, Typhoid and the combined Hep A & Hep B.

Anne..

I keep the same ones current also.

We always have our Hep and tetanus shots up to date. We had the rest done when we went to Africa a few years ago.

We have spent four winters in SE Asia-mostly Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam, and Cambodia. If you are going staying in the main areas I see no reason for shots.

If, and when you buy bottled water in any country be sure to check the seal. Some vendors have been known to refill discarded water bottles and sell them as new.

I ggot a Hep A shot but my Dr did not have typhoid or other vaccines on hand. He sent me to a pharmacy for the rest, but by the time I got there it was too close to travel time for them to work. Looking back I'd get them anyway just in case. I remember as a kid we used to get typhoid shots before traveling to Mexico because my Mom got typhoid in Mexico as a young woman. My husband was right next to me on every excursion and in bed but he didn't catch it. I do remember public restrooms, and the one on the bus, were filthy with no hot water or soap to wash hands.

Vaccines are cheap compared to the cost of getting sick. I have updated Flu,, Tdap and have the oral Typhoid in the fridge that I will start tomorrow. (BTW the oral does for typhoid is 4 pills taken every other day and is good for 5 years rather than 2 for the injection.) Once I am able to find Hep A in stock I will do that next.

• 1 month later...
On 10/3/2018 at 10:19 AM, ksmaxey said:

Vaccines are cheap compared to the cost of getting sick. I have updated Flu,, Tdap and have the oral Typhoid in the fridge that I will start tomorrow. (BTW the oral does for typhoid is 4 pills taken every other day and is good for 5 years rather than 2 for the injection.) Once I am able to find Hep A in stock I will do that next.

CDC in the US recommends Hep A and Typhoid. We got both plus flu shot. Like ksmaxey, we opted for the oral Typhoid, as well. Didn't encounter any side effects.

For Thailand, the CDC says:

"You can get typhoid through contaminated food or water in Thailand. CDC recommends this vaccine for most travelers, especially if you are staying with friends or relatives, visiting smaller cities or rural areas, or if you are an adventurous eater."

I'm taking a cruise from Phuket in the spring and probably spending some time on land before starting the cruise so I followed my travel nurse's recommendation and got the typhoid vaccine. I went for the oral one because it's effectiveness is a bit better and it lasts for 5 years. 

They have the same recommendation for Singapore and China, but I've not taken the vaccine for trips there - but in Singapore and China most of my time has been spent in cities.

One other vaccine - the travel nurse recommended getting a one time pertussis booster (a component of the Tdap along with tetanus and diphtheria) for our trip. In the US, adults often get only Td (tetanus and diphtheria) boosters. So if you haven't had a pertussis booster as an adult, you might consider that. 

12 hours ago, new_cruiser said:

In the US, adults often get only Td (tetanus and diphtheria) boosters. So if you haven't had a pertussis booster as an adult, you might consider that. 

Interesting - mine have always been tdap. Wonder if it's regional? Though I noted my last booster was 2008 so I'm due!

CDC recommends that adults should have the Td booster (or tdap if no tdap as adolescent), back to tdap after age 65 https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/dtap-tdap-td/hcp/recommendations.html

My doctor said that I should get Hepatis and Tetanus.  He said to bring insect repellant with 20 to 30% DEET for skin protection and Permethrin to spray on clothing.  He said if you sticking to cities and the places most tourists go, malaria wasn't a real risk.