North Sea Oil Rigs Cruise

http://gcaptain.com/a-summer-cruise-to-north-sea-oil-rigs-amazes-tourists/

Bored with palm-fringed beaches and turquoise seas? Then the gigantic oil platforms of the North Sea beckon. The first ever “rig-spotting” cruise just ended off the coast of Norway, and those onboard the four-day trip said it was jawdropping.

I can't believe they got anyone to sign up for this. That is an accommodation ship for oil field workers, which is designed to pack as many into the hull as possible, not to provide comfort and amenities. Some of these make the cruise ship crew accommodations look spacious. I worked 12 years in the offshore oil business, even did a couple years in the North Sea. No interest in just riding a small ship out to look at them.

I can't believe they got anyone to sign up for this. That is an accommodation ship for oil field workers, which is designed to pack as many into the hull as possible, not to provide comfort and amenities. Some of these make the cruise ship crew accommodations look spacious. I worked 12 years in the offshore oil business, even did a couple years in the North Sea. No interest in just riding a small ship out to look at them.

If it's your job, obviously you are not that interested in sightseeing at your (previous) workplace :)

While it takes place on a ship, I don't think this should be compared to a cruise at all.

I, for one, was delighted to see oil rigs from our normal cruise ship at night and would have loved a little detour to look at them more closely. Not many people get to see them in reality. I didn't know that this "cruise" was organized, but as someone who also likes seeing big factories, How it's Made, etc, I would like to see these giants, and wouldn't care for some discomfort during a 4 day trip.

This statement "There was little activity, so we used our creativity to come up with ideas. We organized this trip in six weeks" and this "Passenger Nils Olav Nergaard brought his drone on the trip" makes it even better.

A ship that is completely new to the business and doesn't have procedures yet for dealing with guests. "Can I bring my drone?" "I guess?". "Are you sure the scrambled eggs are gluten free?" "Arnt forgot about the eggs this morning, we're sorry." "How much bottles of wine can I bring without paying corkage?" "Corkwhat? One bottle extra for the captain, would that sound reasonable?"

I'm not sure I would have booked this "cruise". Then again, I think I would like a "backpack cruise" to surprising locations, without all the things that are automatically part of the package now. Not for every cruise, but I would like to be on a ship once that has no CD, lectures, cooking lessons, towel animals, take down service, shows, singing chefs, pools, Spa, art, brass, jazz bands and unlimited free food.

Not a freighter with 11 other passengers and mostly cargo but like a 1200 passenger ship that has basic things like a buffet where you pay as you go, a bar, a place to sleep and a really nice itinerary. Shorex to be left to the passengers of which some will undoubtedly make a living by organizing them.

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Loved seeing the oil rigs in the North Sea from our Voyage of the Vikings cruise with HAL. Had not even thought about the possibility of seeing them so it was a nice surprise. There were only a small group of us that were excited about seeing them. Not sure if we would book this or not - it is only 4 days, but don't know that it would stay interesting for that long.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

Not a freighter with 11 other passengers and mostly cargo but like a 1200 passenger ship that has basic things like a buffet where you pay as you go, a bar, a place to sleep and a really nice itinerary. Shorex to be left to the passengers of which some will undoubtedly make a living by organizing them.

Crisscross the Baltic on ferries and you got your wish.