Smelly Laundry

thefirstnoel

It's been awhile since our last cruise and I've wondered; if one want's to do their laundry (still no place on Celebrity Ship's I see), how many of you happy cruiser's have done your laundry in port?

When you're on a 2+"weeker", does anybody hassle with doing some or not? We're doing the So. Carib. on the Celebrity "Reflection" this early Dec. 2018.

One of us is considering hassling with laundry in one port mid cruise & I'm not! I usually overpack but the alternative sounds like work!

I am really curious. Who has done laundry for one reason or another?

Happy Cruising to All. It's great to be back!!!

Thank you for responding! Can you tell me (OR ANYONE?) how much the ship charges for "the regular clothing"? Undies, t-shirt's, shorts? Nothing fancy, just the everyday day stuff?

Thank you to all who can help me out here!

• 2 months later...
We send ours that we need to wear again out to be done by the ship.

It the bag of dirty things we'll be taking home with us we put "dry sheets" in them to keep the smelly oder way down. ;);)

It's been awhile since our last cruise and I've wondered; if one want's to do their laundry (still no place on Celebrity Ship's I see), how many of you happy cruiser's have done your laundry in port?

When you're on a 2+"weeker", does anybody hassle with doing some or not? We're doing the So. Carib. on the Celebrity "Reflection" this early Dec. 2018.

One of us is considering hassling with laundry in one port mid cruise & I'm not! I usually overpack but the alternative sounds like work!

I am really curious. Who has done laundry for one reason or another?

Happy Cruising to All. It's great to be back!!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Hi...I see you originally posted your question back in June...but it looks like you revisited today...in case you haven't already found the prices...Here is the Celebrity Laundry price list as posted on the website :

Laundry Services

• Suit$17.50
  • Jacket$8.00
  • Pants$7.00
  • Long Sleeved Shirt$7.00
  • Short Sleeved Shirt$6.00
  • Sweater$8.00
  • Shorts$5.50
  • Dress$11.00
  • Skirt$6.50
  • Pajamas$5.50
  • Hankerchief$3.00
  • T-shirt$3.75
  • Undergarments$3.00
  • Swimsuit$4.00
  • Socks, pair$3.00

Dry-Cleaning

• Suit$19.00
  • Jacket$11.00
  • Pants$8.00
  • Vest$5.00
  • Long Sleeved Shirt$7.50
  • Short Sleeved Shirt$6.50
  • Sweater$9.00
  • Shorts$6.50
  • Dress$16.00
  • Skirt$7.50
  • Necktie/Tie$5.00
  • 4 Item Special$28.00

Pressing Only

• Suit$14.00
  • Jacket$8.00
  • Pants$6.00
  • Vest$3.00
  • Long Sleeved Shirt$5.75
  • Short Sleeved Shirt$4.00
  • Sweater$5.50
  • Shorts$4.00
  • Dress$8.00
  • Skirt$6.00
  • 4 Item Special$25.00
Edited by BourbonNBluesLuvr

To each his or her own, but other than having to go to a hospital doing laundry is the the very last way that I would spend my time in port. Travel hundreds or thousands of miles to see the best laundromat a World Heritage Site has to offer?

Having the ship do my laundry is one of the things I budgeted into the cost of my vacation.

We usually do some of our small things--undies, maybe a tee shirt--ourselves. Once in a while we have sent the bag special out.

We usually cruise for two weeks at a time and can get along without doing major or big items of clothing. For longer cruises we would probably do a combo of handwashing and bag specials.

I bring a large size trash bag, line one of the suitcases under the bed with it and put dirty clothes I know I won't be washing or wearing again in it as they are used to keep odors down.

Although it might be an adventure, I'd probably only do laundry in port if it was really badly needed or we had a long time in port. Just trying to find aspirin in Portugal once and band aids in Kenya was quite the task!

Instead of putting worn items in a plastic bag, I bring along a collapsible mesh laundry hamper that folds flat for packing and weighs next to nothing, because it allows air to circulate and keeps sweaty items for getting stinky until I either hand wash or send them to the laundry onboard . I set it in a corner of the closet.

I cruise with Princess and there is a pull-out line for hanging wet items in every cabin shower, and I bring several pinch-type clothespins for hanging up handwashing or swimwear. I have no idea if Celebrity provides a clothesline like this.

We always do laundry. Some gets sent to the ship's laundry, others we may do ourselves.

This is the norm for us. We travel with carry on only and we often travel for several months at a time-land and sea. If we are on a ship we would not waste our port time trying for find a laundromat. We always use the ship provided service.

One side benefit to using ship laudromats and land laundrats is that we have met some interesting people and exhanged travel tips and experiences.

We did laundry in the ship's laundry room once. Never again. We have better things to do onboard. Worse than our experience, I know a lady who did a Hawaiian cruise and spent one entire port day lugging their laundry ashore and doing to there. Ack! What a waste of precious time. I don't care what the ship's laundry service costs; I'm happy to pay it for things I can't just wash out in the bathroom sink.

We bring enough clothes to not have to do laundry or might wash our clothes if there is a self-serve laundry aboard. It is not a big deal on a sea day. We would never send our laundry out as commercial dryers are hotter than home dryers - shrinkage!

If you want a lot less laundry bag odor, eschew polyester as it is a bacteria magnet and a possible carcinogen/environmental hazard because of triclosan.

https://www.npr.org/search?query=polyester%20%20triclosan&page=1

We wear 100% cotton and have little laundry bag odor.

Edited by Bookish Angel

This doesn't add to your thread, but it just popped in my mind.

On our first trip to Europe we were in Paris for a week and I had discovered there was a self serve laundry very close to our hotel. So towards the end of our week, when we would be moving on, I designated part of a day for laundry. DH went along, we got the laundry done, but after that he told me never again, we didn't come all this way to do laundry.

When we travel we try to find a laundramat in the afternoon. About 2. We also want a cafe or bar nearby. The clothes go in, we sit and watch them from afar. Eating lunch or having a drink. Invariably there are some other folks doing exactly the same.

We are slow travelers and often spend three or four days in one place. Since we only pack for six or seven days we find laudramats or washing services essential. In some counties though, S. Europe, the laundramats are staffed and for a few extra euros you can leave everything there and they will sometimes evern fold and iron it ready for pickup. Italy was great for this.

When we were younger and traveling, laundromats were the perfect place to trade books with other travelers and get good travel tips.

I agree with never again on doing laundry on vacation.

I may wash undershorts (Duluth Trading Bare Naked wash easily and dry faster than the "travel" underwear) and socks.

But T-shirts (I prefer all cotton), shirts and pants, I send to hotel laundry. I just budget that cost into the trip.

It is a VACATION.