Docking in Hanoi (Halong Bay)

Alula

For those who have been to this port, does the ship really dock in Hanoi (up the Red River)? I’ve read it’s three hours to Halong Bay for excursions. I will be there for two days and am planning to explore Halong Bay both Days, but that much travel time may change my mind. I’m going on Oceania. Do some ships dock in Halong Bay? Any tour company recommendations or must sees? Thanks!

Edited by Alula

Sorry as others have posted you will be dealing with tenders to and from the ship. So you will need to add 1 to 1 1/2 hours to any trips to the shore (Round Trip). Vietnam has no good port terminals for cruise ships, they use the cargo ports or anchor and tender guests to shore.

Your ship will dock (or anchor at Halong Bay - never heard of a ocean going ship docking in Hanoi?

The cruise ships anchor in Halong Bay and then tender passengers ashore. From there it is a 3 hour hour bus trip each way in to the city of Hanoi. Ship excursions in Halong Bay can be done straight off the ship weather permitting so there is no need to even go ashore if you don't want to.