Best Cruiseline for enrichment talks

stephensfamily5

I am just starting researching a cruise in southeast Asia. My husband and I enjoy learning about the history, culture, and nature of the areas we are visiting. Do any of the mainline cruiselines offer guides who discuss these while cruising? It would add so much to the trip!

While there are some cruise lines that provide speakers who will give talks about various topics related to the cruise and its itinerary, these are usually not on what i would call the mainline cruise lines. Occasionally you may find one but its not the norm.

We have found that one of the best ways to achieve what you want to achieve is to book a well reviewed private tour while in the various ports. Usually when you book you can request a guide (not a driver as they do nothing but drive) who will give you what you specifically ask for. I usually ask for the basic sights but also ask to experience the place as a local. That may involve eating at a restaurant that is not a "tourist" spot but one where the locals go for lunch. I like a mix of history, culture and a "bit" of fun too.

It also doesn't hurt to do some research on your own before the cruise. I have always felt that half the fun was the research and planning. I have met many people who get on the ship and don't have a clue about where they are going or what to do while they are there. THAT blows my mind....... oh well, to each his own I guess.