Ocho Rios

georgiacat

• 2 weeks later...

Go to the Blue Hole.......it's so pretty and fun. We used Ricardo with libertytoursjamaica.com and had a great time! We were recommended it on here and he's got great reviews on Trip Advisor too. We've used them twice and both times they provided excellent service. Their tours are awesome!

kcsavage,

Could you give me more info on your tour? Group size and cost? Also could you tell me how the drive was time wise and roads in general? I have an issue with motion sickness but shorter rides (30 minutes) are not as much of a problem unless it is in a hot crowded van with no AC.

Just to clarify, your tour was out of OR, correct?

Thanks,

Sheal

Yep, we arrived in Ocho Rios. We were a group of 8. The van was very clean, comfortable and all the air conditioning you wanted. The ride to the Blue Hole wasn't very far. We've also done the tour from Falmouth and that drive was pretty lengthy but it's short from Ocho Rios. The roads are fine thru the city (they do drive on the other side of the road) and then once you get closer to the Blue Hole the roads get a little trickier as they are more dirt like roads getting up there. We didn't have any problems and never felt unsafe - the driver just took that part a little slower. My daughter also struggles with motion sickness - she always just makes sure to sit further towards the front. She didn't have any troubles on this excursion. Hope the info helps and if you decide to go have a great time. It really is sooooo beautiful!

p.s. you can do Dunns River on your own.

Just hop a taxi from the port. It is about a 10 minute ride. A ship tour is usually there for a hour or so BUT this is a national park and you pay admission for ALL DAY. So take a taxi and stay as long as you like. You can climb the falls as many times as you like, there's a beach at the bottom of the park area, lockers, bathrooms, showers (primitive but functional), food, drink, gardens and the often commented on (negatively) market place.

Note the taxi fare will seem outrageous ... welcome to Jamaica. BUT the fare IS round trip.

enhance

enhance

OR

Mystic Mountain is 'next to' DRF .... this is another place there will be a ship excursion to but you can DIY .... this is home to the 'Jamaica Bobsled' ride ..... http://www.visitjamaica.com/mystic-mountain

p.s. you can do Dunns River on your own.

Just hop a taxi from the port. It is about a 10 minute ride. A ship tour is usually there for a hour or so BUT this is a national park and you pay admission for ALL DAY. So take a taxi and stay as long as you like. You can climb the falls as many times as you like, there's a beach at the bottom of the park area, lockers, bathrooms, showers (primitive but functional), food, drink, gardens and the often commented on (negatively) market place.

Note the taxi fare will seem outrageous ... welcome to Jamaica. BUT the fare IS round trip.

enhance

enhance

OR

Mystic Mountain is 'next to' DRF .... this is another place there will be a ship excursion to but you can DIY .... this is home to the 'Jamaica Bobsled' ride ..... http://www.visitjamaica.com/mystic-mountain

How is the fare round trip? Does the driver wait while you spend 2-3hrs there? What is the average taxi fare PP?

I can't answer your questions but if you do decide to go on your own be sure to take a registered taxi at the stand. I believe the official license plate is red but as long as you ask for one from the dispatcher you will be fine. This was our very first port that we did on our own thanks to the CC people here. I was confident but my husband was pretty nervous knowing the reputation Jamaica had at the time. Our driver did not stay but told us to pay him when he returned to pick us up. That was the nerve wracking part, getting stranded in Jamaica with the kids. But, he was there waiting for us like he said. Now, if only we had paid the couple of bucks for a guide up the falls.:eek: But that's a another story.

Oh, if you do go on your own, enter through the "exit" sign. Much easier to avoid the vendors that way.

BTW, I heard from Ricardo at Victory. He sounds like a really good honest tour guide. Now if I can get my slow to commit friends to decide.

Sheal

the fare from Ocho pier to DRF is $10 per person as I recall ... stupid expensive but that's what it is

the fare IME IS round trip

your driver will typically say he'll be back to pick you up in a hour (the ship tour) ... I tell 'em when I want to be picked up.

50% of the time my guy is NOT there when I want to leave .... NO PROBLEM MON ..... there is a taxi 'dispatcher' and he knows you paid 'round trip' and has always just put me in another car for no extra charge (but I did tip THIS guy, not the first)