What to do?

Traveling Dreamer 1124

Hello, all. I am new to cruising. I have only been on one 5 day cruise before and never to Grand Cayman. I heard this is an expensive port and we are on a tight budget. We thought about going to Royal Palms and relaxing on the beach with a drink or two and a lite lunch. Does anybody else have an inexpensive option for a nice beach with cheap but decent food and drinks? Thanks so much in advance

Edited by Traveling Dreamer 1124
Misspelled

You can probably do your beach day much cheaper at the Sea Grape/Public beach area. Loungers/umbrellas for rent...food/drink right there, watersport rentals, and nice restrooms! The bus is $2.50 pp and they run about every 15 mins. or so, so it's easy to hop back on one when you want to head back to the ship!

There is no "cheap" food...but a sandwich or burger will be in the $8-10 range (American)..they price in their own currency AND in American!

A guidebook on your ports is a wonderful way to have DIY days ashore! Pick one up at your library..reference section!

We were just there and our friends knew of a pretty quiet spot. They like to snorkel, so that is why they chose that beach. It is called Cemetery Beach and is at the very end of 7 mile Beach.

There are no facilities there, but it is a beautiful spot in front of a cemetery. There is a bus stop directly across the street and a little path that cuts down to the beach. It is not remote because there are private homes there.

If I had it to do over again, I would not go there, as I like to have a lounge chair and drinks, but you will pay for that, and it is usually around $25-40 , in my experience, for two chairs with umbrella. Others have indicated Calico Jacks as being a good place to go and that there are Beach vendors there who rent chairs. On the way back from. Our beach day, we inadvertently got on a smaller. Tour van which had available seats. We thought it was the city bus, which are all vans, but he pulled over for us anyway. It was a lot of fun. We paid him 10 $ for the four of us to get back.

You can probably do your beach day much cheaper at the Sea Grape/Public beach area. Loungers/umbrellas for rent...food/drink right there, watersport rentals, and nice restrooms! The bus is $2.50 pp and they run about every 15 mins. or so, so it's easy to hop back on one when you want to head back to the ship!

There is no "cheap" food...but a sandwich or burger will be in the $8-10 range (American)..they price in their own currency AND in American!

A guidebook on your ports is a wonderful way to have DIY days ashore! Pick one up at your library..reference section!

Thanks so much. I will look into getting a guidebook

We were just there and our friends knew of a pretty quiet spot. They like to snorkel, so that is why they chose that beach. It is called Cemetery Beach and is at the very end of 7 mile Beach.

There are no facilities there, but it is a beautiful spot in front of a cemetery. There is a bus stop directly across the street and a little path that cuts down to the beach. It is not remote because there are private homes there.

If I had it to do over again, I would not go there, as I like to have a lounge chair and drinks, but you will pay for that, and it is usually around $25-40 , in my experience, for two chairs with umbrella. Others have indicated Calico Jacks as being a good place to go and that there are Beach vendors there who rent chairs. On the way back from. Our beach day, we inadvertently got on a smaller. Tour van which had available seats. We thought it was the city bus, which are all vans, but he pulled over for us anyway. It was a lot of fun. We paid him 10 $ for the four of us to get back.

I heard someone mention Calico Jacks before. I may check this out as an option. Also, where would you suggest shopping? We are on a tight budget and don't want to spend a lot, but we would like to pick up a few souvenirs.

I heard someone mention Calico Jacks before. I may check this out as an option. Also, where would you suggest shopping? We are on a tight budget and don't want to spend a lot, but we would like to pick up a few souvenirs.

You tender right into the downtown area, and there are tons of stores within walking distance. My favourite spot for souvenirs is Blue Iguana, but there's a cheap t-shirt place on a second floor (between Breezes and the Hard Rock, can never remember the name) that sometimes has good finds.

Blue Iguana info is here:

http://blueiguanasouvenirs.com

You tender right into the downtown area, and there are tons of stores within walking distance. My favourite spot for souvenirs is Blue Iguana, but there's a cheap t-shirt place on a second floor (between Breezes and the Hard Rock, can never remember the name) that sometimes has good finds.

Blue Iguana info is here:

http://blueiguanasouvenirs.com

Thank you so much for the info. We will definitely be checking these places out.

Where is the Sea Grape Beach?

Where is the Sea Grape Beach?

Sea Grape doesn't exist anymore. It's now the Kimpton hotel and they don't allow day guests.

I think where cb is meaning to recommend is the Public Beach and Calico Jacks area.

We don't shop, so I can't recommend anything.