Southampton to Dover cruise terminals in one day?

hypatia1954

Good morning all,

My friend and I are booked on back-to-back cruises next year. First one arrives in Southampton and then the next departs Dover that same day at 1700.

I've started checking out trains and would prefer to travel along the coast rather than brave a connection on London with suitcases. Looks like we have to change in Brighton. Is this a reasonable plan or should I be thinking of private transfer or driving ourselves?

Or am I just crazy for even considering this?

Any local knowledge would help as I'm in Australia:) .

Thanks,

Kathy

I think you might be better using a private car transfer rather trains.

You might be better asking over on the British Isles ports of call forum here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=233

In the meantime, I have found this company which have given online quotes from Southampton to Dover of £214 for a saloon car, £257 for an estate and £279 for an MPV.

http://www.southamptoncruisetransfersandtours.co.uk/

West Quay Cars and Smiths for Airports are usually recommended for airport transfers but I'm not sure if they would take you to Dover.

Trains don't work out well.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Assuming timetables don't change and this journey isn't on a sunday......

Via London is quicker by over an hour, more reliable, and not difficult. Your train from Southampton arrives at London Waterloo & your onward train to Dover departs from London Waterloo East. Between the two London Waterloo stations is just a five minute walk, though of course you should allow longer.

But it's quite expensive at around £70 per person.

Via Brighton actually involves a minimum of two changes - simplest is Southampton to Brighton to Ashford Int to Dover Priory, altho there are other options.

This is the same cost unless you depart Southampton after 10.30.

The 10.32am (Southampton/Brighton/Ashford Int/Dover Priory) costs only £21 pp, but gets you to Dover after 3pm and you'd be at the cruise terminal by 3.30pm.

I don't know your latest check-in time for your cruise but it may well be earlier.

Yes, I'm sure Smiths, or the other taxi operators based in Southampton such as www.westquaycars.com or www.aquacars.co.uk will be happy to quote for Southampton to Dover, though they're unlikely to be able to tie it in with a fare in the opposite direction so won't be cheap.

You're best to use a transfer service based at the Southampton end rather than the Dover end, to avoid the risk of your driver having problems getting to the pick-up.

The road along the south coast is notoriously slow, particularly from Brighton onwards. I tried that route to Dover myself - just the once. :eek:

Unless there's grief on the motorway your driver will doubtless take the longer but much quicker M3/M25/M26/M20 motorway loop.

You could check out the cost of renting a car - the motorway route is pretty simple but cost is the only potential advantage of renting a car rather than a car+driver. Bear in mind the add-ons (one-way, insurance etc) and fuel costs of about £20

JB :)