Seabourn Encore - The Retreat

cruising kirby

We really enjoyed our visits to TK, both on Encore and Odyssey. The food was excellent and my only suggestion would be that they reduce the portions as they were way too large - especially the starters. Some friends of ours did find the seating a little cramped on Odyssey, as they had one of the tables for two against the wall. We were lucky on both our visits while on Odyssey (we liked it so much that we went twice) and scored a nice table each time. Much, much nicer than R2.

Able Seaman H, its a 'no' to Japanese food from us I'm afraid, but I know that many people enjoy it - and I do like a little sushi, but not enough to tempt me into the restaurant on Encore. An Indian curryhouse onboard would be an entirely different matter however.... Each to his own.

We found the whole TK experience on Encore was mostly pretentious hype and the over cooked and over seasoned dishes a huge disappointment. But others loved it. Everyone has their personal preference and isn't it nice to have the choice? We sail in Odyssey next week so it will be interesting to see if any of this voluminous feedback has actually fed back!

Everyone has their personal preference and isn't it nice to have the choice?

That's it exactly, I would walk to the other end of the ship to avoid an Indian night but loved the Sushi night we had on the Encore, but Marama would prefer it the other way around. I guess that is the dilemma SB and any other cruise line has. We are lucky to have choices.

I would far rather see smaller quantities of superb ingredients rather than a mountain which gets thrown away on my behalf.

Couldn't agree more Henry.

We all have different dining expectations and tastes. So I guess the bottom line is to try and get sufficient variety on the menus. Sushi would be great, and so are the Indian nights. We have been underwhelmed by TK (on O class) and would look for something else. Our only residual "gripe" is that the offerings in the MDR, pool grill and Colonnade have been stripped back to accommodate TK - including a virtual "close down" of one dining venue for TK nights in the Colonnade which limits dining options and as a consequence variety.

Anyway, this is a post about The Retreat. We will watch this space with interest. Over to you Seabourn.

• 2 months later...

I've spent six weeks on Encore on two separate cruises. I have/ had no interest in the retreat or whatever it's called. I LIKE to be by a pool with views and of the sea and share the vibe with the other guests. Why would I want to be locked away in a separate stuffy area alone, ..and pay for that? A waste of space and a loser concept.

I can't add to what I've already said about the Retreat but having experienced The Grill by Thomas Keller on Sojourn I can confirm it is a superb addition. The work involved in converting from R2 was huge, the entire galley and restaurant were ripped out to a bare shell and replaced.

We also had some superb TK dishes in the main restaurant including the Caviar starter mentioned by Lincslady.

Henry :)

So several months on... anything new about the Retreat. Worth booking for a sea day... and can you keep the bathrobes they give you up there?

The other question is how does the spa treatments in the Retreat work?

My experience of the Retreat started this thread, so I have to repeat - no, it isn't worth booking in my opinion. You can't keep the bathrobes although they do give you a bag to take, It is like a pool carry bag, nothing special. No spa treatments were offered to us on our day in the Retreat (and we didn't ask for any ) but there was a cabana set up with a massage table that no-one used. I assume you ask Retreat staff to book a spa treatment for you and then you are billed separately.

I've spent six weeks on Encore on two separate cruises. I have/ had no interest in the retreat or whatever it's called. I LIKE to be by a pool with views and of the sea and share the vibe with the other guests. Why would I want to be locked away in a separate stuffy area alone, ..and pay for that? A waste of space and a loser concept.

I 100% agree. The Retreat has no pool, no ocean views, gets hot and humid (it’s enclosed so no cool ocean breezes get in), takes up a lot of space, is over priced (as evidenced by the fact that it is empty most of the time) and goes against the core Seabourn principle that outside of the suites, everyone is equal. Seabourn should drop it.

Love to Keller Grill.

Agree totally. Hope Seabourn is sufficiently open to the thoughts of their clientele to honestly re-evaluate this obviously bad decision.

They will if it proves to be a flop and economic reality sets in.

If it gets used and they make money then it will endure.

They will if it proves to be a flop and economic reality sets in.

If it gets used and they make money then it will endure.

Roxburgh I thought you might have sent a voucher to our cabin for a day at The Retreat as you knew we were sailing on the Encore recently. Did we miss it? :)

We did have a look around The Retreat as it was open for people to check it out

Nobody there at all when we went up

I agree with everybody else. Its not for us

I never hesitated to criticize the Retreat when it was opened on the pre-maiden voyage of 2017 and the “no entry” ropes went up on 12 deck of Encore.

The Retreat is a stupid idea, and a damaging one for the Seabourn brand. Who in its management can justify taking deck space away from the 99% when the ship already has much less deck space per passenger (and in absolute terms on deck 5 for walking) than the Odyssey class ships? I have been waiting for a year to receive an answer!

In the meantime, and going forward, we will be on the Ody class ships. In fact we are on Quest now and head to Sojourn in 2 weeks. This IS pure luxury without the gimmicks. We are not fooled but then it’s OK with me if others think that Encore - and soon Ovation - are for them. 150 more people, many public rooms and pool deck same size as Ody ships, and a smaller Club. Choices for all! Bully for the Retreat punters over there!

One small thing, though: what is with these cringing signs by our Quest elevators and even the online deck plans showing the Retreat on our deck 11? We don’t even have one and that’s fine by me. But we do have shuffleboard, golf putting and free access for all. Which is good for those of us who like walking on deck. Does someone in Seattle think the Retreat is such a good idea that this erroneous signage is smart or even useful? Seems like a dumb idea that somehow spread to Quest, Odyssey and Sojourn.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Edited by markham

We can see on the deckplan of the Odyssey class ships that the “Retreat” as shown on them is where the golf putting and other deck sports are:

https://www.seabourn.com/assets/deckplans/SBN_OSQ_Deckplans_8.5x11_091917.pdf

Which means that the Encore’s Retreat and what will be built on Ovation are different animals from the Odyssey class ships. If past is prologue only the Retreats on Encore and Ovation will cost punters $350 per day/couple for their enclave and, of course, exclude everyone else from most of the deck they are on. That does not happen on the Odyssey class ship, thankfully!

Hence my question as to what Seabourn means in its deckplans and signage by suggesting the Retreat on Odyssey class ships has anything in common with the Retreat on the Encore class ships.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Roxburgh I thought you might have sent a voucher to our cabin for a day at The Retreat as you knew we were sailing on the Encore recently. Did we miss it? :)

We did have a look around The Retreat as it was open for people to check it out

Nobody there at all when we went up

I agree with everybody else. Its not for us

You were in the Wintergarden Suite, 846, right?

That was the right suite for the voucher? :o

Didn't Seabourn try the paid Retreat concept on the O class ships only for it to fail and be replaced by the Penthouse Spa suites?

Yes,they were called the spa villas and were mainly used by crew when they had a party.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Can't wait to see if there is actually going to be a chargeable 'Retreat' on Ovation. There is bound to be a DIY laundry, I feel sure!

There was a recent Facebook post by Seabourn promoting The Retreat on Encore *and* Ovation.

I'm waiting for someone to say that they actually like it enough to pay to lounge in that claustrophobic space.....

I've spent 50+ days aboard the Encore, I never saw anyone in there, but I'm sure occasionally there was someone. There was a private party in there once, I can't remember what it was for.

Essentially it's a bad idea poorly executed. Now they're kind of stuck with it until the refurbish dry dock years from now...

I think SB should open up The Retreat to all passengers at no charge. Even then I doubt that many would choose to be there--but it would be interesting to see.

Edited by SLSD

I'm waiting for someone to say that they actually like it enough to pay to lounge in that claustrophobic space.....

I've spent 50+ days aboard the Encore, I never saw anyone in there, but I'm sure occasionally there was someone. There was a private party in there once, I can't remember what it was for.

Essentially it's a bad idea poorly executed. Now they're kind of stuck with it until the refurbish dry dock years from now...

Nonsense! Any company that can convert an officer's quarters into a 5-station self-service laundry (while at sea, I think) can create an inviting area to replace the Regretted Retreat. No need to wait for dry dock:mad:

Nonsense! Any company that can convert an officer's quarters into a 5-station self-service laundry (while at sea, I think) can create an inviting area to replace the Regretted Retreat. No need to wait for dry dock:mad:

Well there will not be any passengers at The Retreat to inter up the work will there :)