Haven't cruised Disney since they basically began...

brainfreeze987

Ok, so I have not been on a Disney cruise since they began cruising in the late 90's and again a few times in the early 2000's.... obviously a lot has changed. That being said our daughter would like to go and I have no clue what all has changed. I see people mentioning that you have to sign up for character spots (this wasn't the case back when I was a kid cruising)... what else do I need to know about planning this all out? We aren't new to crusing and neither is she, but new to the changes (20 years later) of Disney.

Thanks!

there are only a few character meets that require signup in advance...

the rest are just as you probably experienced as a kid - you line up to meet the character...

when we cruised a month ago, you had to sign up in advance for the princess gathering and i think for the frozen meet and greet...

but all the other characters were just lines that you got into...

the princess gathering is where you have several princesses at the same time and since the times are reserved, you don't have the long line that you have for the unreserved meets..

as for what else has changed? the kids clubs are run a bit differently now..

i don't know how old your daughter is....

There is much more alike than different, and in general the differences are improvements.

You'll select a Port Arrival Time as part of your on line check in and will then be issued a boarding number--no more standing in that endless line in Port Canaveral. There is a garage instead of the outdoor parking lot, and of course the prices are a lot higher for parking.

In addition to the Princess Gathering and Frozen meet and greets, there will be a sign up for Star Wars characters (if you are on one of those cruises), and occasionally other special characters. As noted, the biggest changes are in the kid programming. NO ONE can be in the teen programming as of their 18th birthday. The whole structure of the OC and OL have changed. Obviously menus have changed, etc. The Dream and Fantasy are a lot larger than the classic ships.

Thank you both! We still cruise a lot of of port canaveral so knew about their changes, but thank you for reminding me about the price increase, I always forget! She may or may not care about the princess, or lines as we visit Disney World a few times a year (why can't we get AP disncounts on cruises?! ;) Doesn't seem like much has changed as I had thought with what I was browsing around and reading. Must have just been reading everyone's worries about getting slots for stuff and we are wing it people usually.

Thank you both again! I really appreciate the help! It really helped out!

Thank you both! We still cruise a lot of of port canaveral so knew about their changes, but thank you for reminding me about the price increase, I always forget! She may or may not care about the princess, or lines as we visit Disney World a few times a year (why can't we get AP disncounts on cruises?! ;) Doesn't seem like much has changed as I had thought with what I was browsing around and reading. Must have just been reading everyone's worries about getting slots for stuff and we are wing it people usually.

Cruisers complain about having to sign up for events and special character meets (eg. the Princesses/SW, the regular Mickey & Co. just show up in common areas), but with the land Parks going to their online reservation systems for FastPasses, the Cruises use almost the same online system that landlubber WDW fans have been used to in the last few years. This being a cruise, you can't reserve your Dining--except for the upscale-optional Palo and Remy's--but otherwise, all events are reserved in a similar way to the way they are for the Parks' Magic Band system.

If you still visited WDW recently, nothing about the Cruise event planning should throw you off--It's still a Disney vacation, only wetter, and with real beaches. :cool:

Cruisers complain about having to sign up for events and special character meets (eg. the Princesses/SW, the regular Mickey & Co. just show up in common areas), but with the land Parks going to their online reservation systems for FastPasses, the Cruises use almost the same online system that landlubber WDW fans have been used to in the last few years. This being a cruise, you can't reserve your Dining--except for the upscale-optional Palo and Remy's--but otherwise, all events are reserved in a similar way to the way they are for the Parks' Magic Band system.

If you still visited WDW recently, nothing about the Cruise event planning should throw you off--It's still a Disney vacation, only wetter, and with real beaches. :cool:

Great thank you! We visit Disney World quite often so are accustomed, so that will be easy... Every thing else sounds basically the same as it was before when we first were cruising Disney when they first started (has it really been that long ago.... Well for me anyway hubby and daughter have never been?!) I really appreciate the tips and help!

Also, the characters meeting times are listed in the Navigator. As a general rule, I would get there 15 minutes before the scheduled time.

Another difference. The family and adult beaches now have cabanas that you can rent, although they tend to go very fast to concierge and platinum cruisers who can do online check in earliest.

• 2 weeks later...
Also, the characters meeting times are listed in the Navigator. As a general rule, I would get there 15 minutes before the scheduled time.

Another difference. The family and adult beaches now have cabanas that you can rent, although they tend to go very fast to concierge and platinum cruisers who can do online check in earliest.

I noticed that platinum and concierge get more perks... Guess I need to sail more! Too bad I can't move over the platinum carnival stuff ;p

Another question from a frequent cruiser but a "first-timer" on Disney (Dream.)

Are advance reservations required for theater production shows? TIA

No. Doors open 30 minutes before the scheduled show...get there at least 15 minutes before the show starts if you want more than a couple seats together and to have a choice of locations.