princess insurance for cruise vs others

ljhershey

Has anyone bought the Princess Platinum protection plan? I can't find a price for it on the princess websit and wondered how much it costs compared to what my travel agent will offer. . Anyone have problems using the princess insurance when needed? I realize that if its cheaper but doesn't provide needed coverage it is o bargain! Thanks!

Princess insurance is “off-the-shelf” package for your cruise choice.. You choose on the 2 plans with fixed coverage and limits, regardless of age. For 3rd party insurance, you customize according to your needs, that may also include pre- and post cruise expense like hotels, plane fares and land tours. We always choose 3rd party.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In the past we have bought 3rd party insurance through our travel agent. My impression (although I still don't have the Princess price) is that the 3rd party we purchased was about double the price for the princess plan (we are platinum so get the platinum insurance at the basic insurance price). We are about to book a new cruise and wanted to make an informed decision. Thank for your thoughts.

Princess insurance is “off-the-shelf” package for your cruise choice.. You choose on the 2 plans with fixed coverage and limits, regardless of age. For 3rd party insurance, you customize according to your needs, that may also include pre- and post cruise expense like hotels, plane fares and land tours. We always choose 3rd party.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Insurance should not be thought of as a 1 plan fits all. The cruise line policies (including Princess Vacation Protection) are usually designed to emphasize various cancellation protection options. But like nearly all cruise line policies, the Princess plan does not offer very good medical coverage (the maximum is much too low by today's standards). That being said, for those that already have decent medical coverage (that will cover you out of the country) you may not care about the low limit medical.

So my advice to the OP is consider what kind of coverage you want (cancellation, cancellation for any reason, medical, emergency medical evacuation,) and how much you need to satisfy your own risk tolerance. Then you can shop for a policy that meets your needs/wants. Besides your travel agent, cruise line, etc. there are web sites like insuremytrip.com and squaremouth.com that allow you to compare various policies (from different companies) on line. There is also the Trip Insurance Store which gets high marks from many cruisers. In fact, if you are totally confused about the options just ask for Steve at the Trip Insurance Store...and he can explain all the various options and pricing.

Hank

Thank you so much for this detailed information. I will investigate the websites and will know I am making an informed choice. I appreciate the thoroughness of your response! I enjoy doing this type of research, and am happy to be directed to applicable sites. Your post is an example of how cruise message boards should function for the good of all.

Insurance should not be thought of as a 1 plan fits all. The cruise line policies (including Princess Vacation Protection) are usually designed to emphasize various cancellation protection options. But like nearly all cruise line policies, the Princess plan does not offer very good medical coverage (the maximum is much too low by today's standards). That being said, for those that already have decent medical coverage (that will cover you out of the country) you may not care about the low limit medical.

So my advice to the OP is consider what kind of coverage you want (cancellation, cancellation for any reason, medical, emergency medical evacuation,) and how much you need to satisfy your own risk tolerance. Then you can shop for a policy that meets your needs/wants. Besides your travel agent, cruise line, etc. there are web sites like insuremytrip.com and squaremouth.com that allow you to compare various policies (from different companies) on line. There is also the Trip Insurance Store which gets high marks from many cruisers. In fact, if you are totally confused about the options just ask for Steve at the Trip Insurance Store...and he can explain all the various options and pricing.

Hank