Increased drinks package prices ????

reemab1

Ah, another difference between UK and US then as, over here, they don't charge gratuities on the "free" drinks package.

I agree that they have increased their base fares to account for the "All-inclusiveness" of their package.

Only sailed with them once so far (Epic out of Barcelona) but I really enjoyed it. Now to try Princess.

Its not like I've only bought 1 drinks package and giving my partner free drinks. I've paid for 30 drinks per 24 hour period and as long as Im not drunk and if bar staff are willing to sell me alcohol, I cant see why I shouldn't be entitled to those other 5 drinks.

Why dont they just say here are your 15 drinks for the day for $86.99 AUD. Sure share them among your family and friends but once they're gone that's bad luck until the next day. 2 packages gets you 30 drinks and so on.

no, you paid for UP TO 15 drinks per person NOT 30 drinks. if your wife drank 10 drinks then that is what you paid for

This would be considered sharing and not allowed

Hi All

Just asking because I have looked at some bar menus and the answer was not there:

What measure of wine is used for a glass of wine? Is the wine pour on Princess cruise ships consistent - I have read posts which suggest that the size of the pour can vary from MDR and say Vines.

By law in the UK, the measure of wine offered can vary but it has to be specified in ml.

Thanks

Annie

Hi All

Just asking because I have looked at some bar menus and the answer was not there:

What measure of wine is used for a glass of wine? Is the wine pour on Princess cruise ships consistent - I have read posts which suggest that the size of the pour can vary from MDR and say Vines.

By law in the UK, the measure of wine offered can vary but it has to be specified in ml.

Thanks

Annie

Princess wine pours are generous. They don't mark glassed like they do in the UK

With the lack of bartenders at each bar, it may be hard to get 15 drinks per day. More times than not, there are 10-15 people or more waiting for a drink. Many times there are only 1-2 bartenders and it takes at the minimum, 20 minutes to get a drink... VERY frustrating....

With the lack of bartenders at each bar, it may be hard to get 15 drinks per day. More times than not, there are 10-15 people or more waiting for a drink. Many times there are only 1-2 bartenders and it takes at the minimum, 20 minutes to get a drink... VERY frustrating....

Many cruisers on other lines have the same issue. The cruise line has been paid in advance for the drinks - reduce staff and the passenger can't drink as much - win/win for the cruise line?

Annie

Many cruisers on other lines have the same issue. The cruise line has been paid in advance for the drinks - reduce staff and the passenger can't drink as much - win/win for the cruise line?

Annie

I agree this would be the case if a very large majority of passengers have pre-paid drinks. High-end lines like Seabourn, Azamara and Oceania would be an example of this. If I get a cruise line wrong, don't shoot me.

I sincerely doubt this is the case on Princess. Even S-n-S offerings are limited on each cruise. I been on six cruises since AIBP was implemented and have never seen a large number of passengers with the sticker (I have yet to sail under the stickerless system).

Princess' under-staffing of the bars could be an attempt to limit over-consumption. I have spoken to a Maitre'D who told me their internal policy (it's got some fancy name which I forget) is very strict about over-serving passengers. It's a safety and a liability issue as well as an effect on the overall passenger experience - no drunks like on other not-to-be-named cruise lines.

However, all that said, I do think in many cases it's simply a case of bad management planning, not a profit scheme at all.

my wife and I are booked on the 11/13 (2 day) and 11/15 (4 day) cruises on the Regal Princess which will be the first cruises utilizing (maybe) the Ocean Medallions instead of the cruise cards. We had prepaid for the AIBP for the 4 day cruise for both of us, but on the 2 day, the package(s) was still in our 'cart', and Princess has cancelled that with the "out of stock" notation and is currently not allowing us to buy it now, even at the increased price and limitations.

Some benefit, huh??

I agree this would be the case if a very large majority of passengers have pre-paid drinks. High-end lines like Seabourn, Azamara and Oceania would be an example of this. If I get a cruise line wrong, don't shoot me.

I sincerely doubt this is the case on Princess. Even S-n-S offerings are limited on each cruise. I been on six cruises since AIBP was implemented and have never seen a large number of passengers with the sticker (I have yet to sail under the stickerless system).

Princess' under-staffing of the bars could be an attempt to limit over-consumption. I have spoken to a Maitre'D who told me their internal policy (it's got some fancy name which I forget) is very strict about over-serving passengers. It's a safety and a liability issue as well as an effect on the overall passenger experience - no drunks like on other not-to-be-named cruise lines.

However, all that said, I do think in many cases it's simply a case of bad management planning, not a profit scheme at all.

Have I read this correctly?

They reduce the number of bar staff to reduce the possibility of over-serving some passengers on the grounds of safety?

Annie

Have I read this correctly?

They reduce the number of bar staff to reduce the possibility of over-serving some passengers on the grounds of safety?

Annie

No, you haven't read it correctly.

There's a word in my post, "could", that makes it speculative. I was offering potential reasons Princess would limit the rate at which they serve alcohol, not making a definitive statement. I don't think though that people would argue that consuming an overly high level of alcohol is safe, especially on a ship at sea.

Not only that, my statement concurrently offered additional potential reasons such as liability concerns as well as passenger-experience issues.

Finally I offered an opinion that in spite of the previous possible reasons submitted, I felt that it was mostly poor management planning.

So no, what you "read" wasn't what I wrote. Try not to take offense if someone else's opinion is different than yours. I don't.

my wife and I are booked on the 11/13 (2 day) and 11/15 (4 day) cruises on the Regal Princess which will be the first cruises utilizing (maybe) the Ocean Medallions instead of the cruise cards. We had prepaid for the AIBP for the 4 day cruise for both of us, but on the 2 day, the package(s) was still in our 'cart', and Princess has cancelled that with the "out of stock" notation and is currently not allowing us to buy it now, even at the increased price and limitations.

Some benefit, huh??

If you truly pre-paid (not just reserved without paying) the package it should still be yours.

Why don't you call Princess and check .

No, you haven't read it correctly.

There's a word in my post, "could", that makes it speculative. I was offering potential reasons Princess would limit the rate at which they serve alcohol, not making a definitive statement. I don't think though that people would argue that consuming an overly high level of alcohol is safe, especially on a ship at sea.

Not only that, my statement concurrently offered additional potential reasons such as liability concerns as well as passenger-experience issues.

Finally I offered an opinion that in spite of the previous possible reasons submitted, I felt that it was mostly poor management planning.

So no, what you "read" wasn't what I wrote. Try not to take offense if someone else's opinion is different than yours. I don't.

My apologies - I never read your post as speculative. So you don't know for a fact.

Annie

PS Use of the AIBP/PBP cannot be used during M&Gs. This is stated in an email from Princess.

Edited by anniegb

If you truly pre-paid (not just reserved without paying) the package it should still be yours.

Why don't you call Princess and check .

we had paid for the 4 day only, not the 2 day as it was "in the cart" and not shown as "previously purchased"

I'm wondering if Princess is trying to limit the drink packages on the 2-day Preview Cruise as it is the first using the Medallion technology with many options to order drinks from your location without going to the bar

Here and now

Then and there

Annie

PS Use of the AIBP/PBP cannot be used during M&Gs. This is stated in an email from Princess.

Does this mean if you set up a group luncheon or a group dinner at the Crown Grill that you cannot use the PBP? How about a group for sailaway? Seems like to many rules are changingclear.png?emoji-frown-1741

Annie

Does this mean if you set up a group luncheon or a group dinner at the Crown Grill that you cannot use the PBP? How about a group for sailaway? Seems like to many rules are changingclear.png?emoji-frown-1741

I suspect the honest answer is no-one knows as it territory still to be tested?

The Ts&Cs are a little vague - specifically group events are excluded but not defined?

I did love this clause:

'Not all exclusions or limitations can be foreseen or published here and may exist or be implemented without notice.'

Annie

Some benefit, huh??

Aren’t the AIBP only available on cruise of 7 days and longer? (unless its for Cruises out of Australia and NZ that only have this restriction) Could be why it’s cancelled….

Aren’t the AIBP only available on cruise of 7 days and longer? (unless its for Cruises out of Australia and NZ that only have this restriction) Could be why it’s cancelled….

The new package specifically mentions 2 day voyages but Australia has the longer voyage limit.

• 2 weeks later...

That 'may' have changed again - according to the T&C

The package is NOT available for voyages of fewer than 7 nights for Australia-based itineraries, or voyages 2 nights or under for all other itineraries.

Used to state 'under' 2 days

That being stated, we had previously paid for the package on our 2 day cruise beginning 11/13 on the Regal, and it is still there.

I haven't seen anyone post this yet....if someone did...forgive me..

Just off the Crown on Sunday. The 'original' AIBP was still being sold on board. We had the AIBP from a Sip N Sail purchased in 2016. Cans of soda and large bottles of water were included. The sign said 40% off on wine bottles also.

So....not sure when the new "Premium Beverage Package" actually starts...

Just in case anyone is interested... :cool:

I haven't seen anyone post this yet....if someone did...forgive me..

Just off the Crown on Sunday. The 'original' AIBP was still being sold on board. We had the AIBP from a Sip N Sail purchased in 2016. Cans of soda and large bottles of water were included. The sign said 40% off on wine bottles also.

So....not sure when the new "Premium Beverage Package" actually starts...

Just in case anyone is interested... :cool:

Awesome!! Lucky!

Just got off the Star Princess Oct 18. Old package price $52.00 US and gratuity included. Cans of pop large bottles of water and 40% off wine bottles. As of the next cruise on the Star Oct 19. New all inclusive package is $68.00 + 15%. Wine bottles only 25% no canned pop only fountain poor Canned root beer or red bull is included. Special lattes coffees etc included. Only small bottles of water

Just got off the Star Princess Oct 18. Old package price $52.00 US and gratuity included. Cans of pop large bottles of water and 40% off wine bottles. As of the next cruise on the Star Oct 19. New all inclusive package is $68.00 + 15%. Wine bottles only 25% no canned pop only fountain poor Canned root beer or red bull is included. Special lattes coffees etc included. Only small bottles of water

This, among other changes by Princess, is why I'm seriously considering another line for the fall of 2018.....

Bob

I know that I for one will no longer purchase the AIBP. The price is too steep for me and I am really not a big drinker. I love my coffees and ice teas a little wine sometimes and that is no where near the package price. The employees were telling us that there was too much illegal sharing of AIBP drinks and they truly had no way of enforcement or penalty. Our room steward told us on the last cruise there were four sharing the suite but only purchased one AIBP and he knew he was buying drinks for the whole cabin. Princess is still cheaper than Norwegian 89.00 US + 18% gratuity ,,, Ouch Holland America is 44.00 + 15% grat but it is limited to drinks under $7.00 max 15 drinks per day and every one in the cabin over 21 must buy the package,,,,