All Things Jewel of the Seas

BillOh

In recent years Freedom and Adventure went through quite a few changes and I found the "All things" threads very helpful in keeping up with changes and current conditions on these two fine ships. Now we me going on Jewel for the 3rd time, 1st since 2014, I thought this might be a good time to start that type of thread for this ship. Hopefully it will be around for awhile and people will benefit. (If I'm wrong and this thread exists, boy will I hear about it and be embarassed.

This is the first time I saw the ship in Tampa.

firstview2.jpg

I was on her again in 2014 and I think at that time she was the only Radiance class ship that still have the Seaview Cafe in the back of the ship. I think she has been revitalized since then and that is gone? I haven't looked at the deck maps to see what is there now. This was also the last ship I was on that had CRT televisions. Have those been replaced? I like the ships position/course channel and its hard to see on those old TVs.

Here is to the next 270 days of waiting.

I'm excited to follow along, as I will be on her for the TA in May 2018. We haven't been on a Radiance Class ship since our honeymoon in August 2005 on Brilliance.

Looks like I'll be getting off when you get on!

Nice idea for a thread!

We did B2B Jewel last January. Yes Seaview cafe is gone. Ashamed to say I don't recall for sure on the TV's :p. I think they were flat screens. We were scheduled for Adventure B2B next January and got cancelled for the drydock. So it's back to Jewel this winter;p

We were on the Jewel this past March and are booked again for the April 1st sailing from San Juan.

It was our first cruise on RC and we loved the ship. Not too big but very attractive. Loved the glass elevators that faced the sea.

A few quirky things: I couldn't understand the Solarium...having an indoor pool on a ship in the Caribbean.... The retractable roof was never opened (I inquired and was told it was because it was air conditioned!). A nice adult only spot but would have liked to have it open to the air.

The food in the buffet was great for all meals.

We did a Canada/Pacific Coastal cruise on the Jewel September 2015 and did a B2B Caribbean cruise on the Jewel April 2017 out of San Juan. Vintages replaced the Champaign Bar. Added 12 new balcony cabins to deck 11. Added Diamond Lounge on deck 13. It's located front left section of the Viking Crown Lounge. Separate door with card entry. We prefer our drinks in the Schooner bar over the DL but we used both for pre-diner drinks. Unfortunately the Seaview Cafe is no longer. The CRT TVs have been replaced with flat screen LED TVs. As far as we are concerned the Jewel is a beautiful ship and our favorite in RCs fleet. Just the right size.

Edited by davekathy

Thanks Bill!

This is the board I was actually looking for last night when I asked about the hot tubs but I couldn't find it anywhere. I knew of the Adventure board (of course) so thought there would be one like that on Jewel but there wasn't! Thanks again for starting this! :D

She still has the glass floor on deck 12 by the C&A area so you can stand on it and look down...

Glad to see the glass floor! I believe that is gone (or otherwise inaccessible) from all the other Radiance class ships due to the installation of the aerial show.

Edited by clarea

Really looking forward to following this thread. We'll be on for the TA in November B2B with the following Caribbean cruise. Loved LittleBritain's updates earlier in the year and hoping the curry menu is still available ongoing. We are big fans of Radiance class ships :D

We are going on her on October 7th. I would love to hear about the changes. We went on her in 2004 when she was pretty New.

I was on her for her 10th anniversary in 2014, I may have to look for pictures.

We were on the Jewel this past March and are booked again for the April 1st sailing from San Juan.

It was our first cruise on RC and we loved the ship. Not too big but very attractive. Loved the glass elevators that faced the sea.

A few quirky things: I couldn't understand the Solarium...having an indoor pool on a ship in the Caribbean.... The retractable roof was never opened (I inquired and was told it was because it was air conditioned!). A nice adult only spot but would have liked to have it open to the air.

The food in the buffet was great for all meals.

When we were on her in the Southern Caribbean she opened her roof one day because they have re-painted the pool and there were paint fumes. So I know the roof still works. I also have memories from both cruises on her that this is the best Windjammer in terms of looks and good food.