Cannon 80D vs 7D MK II

Woobstr112G

7D2 has more CPU if you're a heavy action shooter, and I would suspect the AF works into darker conditions (light + lens) than the 80D. 80D is probably good enough as it is for most folks. I think the more important question is what lens(es) do you plan to get (or already have)? If you're planning ahead for an Alaska cruise next April, you may want to think about how to manage your overall budget for lenses, and to also consider renting a lens for the trip to give you a capability you wouldn't otherwise have (and may not need in normal circumstances).

I have not actually shot with an 80D; last two-digit I owned was the 40D, and last one I can remember touching is the 50D. I have owned the original 7D, and have rented the 7D2. My memory of the 7D and 7D2 is that they seem to create noisy pictures at ISO settings a little lower than what I'd expect for their price tag; perhaps my standards are a bit too high though. ;)

The other thing that comes to mind is age. The 7D2 is about 18-month older technology than the 80D if I understand correctly. That potentially makes it due for update sooner than the 80D. It's not necessarily a race to the newest, but I do think there are tons of nuanced improvements that don't show in the specs with every generation of camera, and the 7D2 is going to feel older sooner.

7D2 has more CPU if you're a heavy action shooter, and I would suspect the AF works into darker conditions (light + lens) than the 80D. 80D is probably good enough as it is for most folks. I think the more important question is what lens(es) do you plan to get (or already have)? If you're planning ahead for an Alaska cruise next April, you may want to think about how to manage your overall budget for lenses, and to also consider renting a lens for the trip to give you a capability you wouldn't otherwise have (and may not need in normal circumstances).

I have not actually shot with an 80D; last two-digit I owned was the 40D, and last one I can remember touching is the 50D. I have owned the original 7D, and have rented the 7D2. My memory of the 7D and 7D2 is that they seem to create noisy pictures at ISO settings a little lower than what I'd expect for their price tag; perhaps my standards are a bit too high though. ;)

The other thing that comes to mind is age. The 7D2 is about 18-month older technology than the 80D if I understand correctly. That potentially makes it due for update sooner than the 80D. It's not necessarily a race to the newest, but I do think there are tons of nuanced improvements that don't show in the specs with every generation of camera, and the 7D2 is going to feel older sooner.

Thanks for the input. What lens would you recommend for Alaska? I currently own a 15x85 which is my walk around lens. I also have a 28x135, 70x300, and a 10x22.

Thanks again for your input.....:):):)

Bob

Thanks for the input. What lens would you recommend for Alaska? I currently own a 15x85 which is my walk around lens. I also have a 28x135, 70x300, and a 10x22.

If it were me, I'd leave the 28-135 at home. If the 70-300 was the 70-300L, great, otherwise I'd probably rent the 100-400 Mark II and leave the 70-300 home. That leaves you with the 15-85, the 10-22, and either the 70-300 or the 100-400, which I'd say is a good combo. I wouldn't get too hung up over the gap between 85mm and 100mm if you went with the 15-85 and 100-400; in my opinion, you're better off just shooting with the 15-85 at 85mm and cropping later than you are carrying the extra weight of one more lens and having to make a lens swap just to get the 86-99mm options directly covered.

I'm a full-frame shooter and have the convenience of multiple cameras, but I still only leave the ship with 24-70, 100-400, and 600 (with 1.4x) on three cameras, and a 14mm ultra-wide in a pouch, so I just accept the gaps between 14-24, 70-100, and 400-840. If you're a one-camera man, you do run the risk of having the wrong lens mounted at the wrong time, but IMHO if you carry too many lenses, your odds increase of having the wrong lens mounted. ;)

If it were me, I'd leave the 28-135 at home. If the 70-300 was the 70-300L, great, otherwise I'd probably rent the 100-400 Mark II and leave the 70-300 home. That leaves you with the 15-85, the 10-22, and either the 70-300 or the 100-400, which I'd say is a good combo. I wouldn't get too hung up over the gap between 85mm and 100mm if you went with the 15-85 and 100-400; in my opinion, you're better off just shooting with the 15-85 at 85mm and cropping later than you are carrying the extra weight of one more lens and having to make a lens swap just to get the 86-99mm options directly covered.

I'm a full-frame shooter and have the convenience of multiple cameras, but I still only leave the ship with 24-70, 100-400, and 600 (with 1.4x) on three cameras, and a 14mm ultra-wide in a pouch, so I just accept the gaps between 14-24, 70-100, and 400-840. If you're a one-camera man, you do run the risk of having the wrong lens mounted at the wrong time, but IMHO if you carry too many lenses, your odds increase of having the wrong lens mounted. ;)

Excellent advice, thanks.....:):):)

Bob

• 1 month later...
Thinking about buying a new camera. I'm looking for some opinions on which camera you might choose and why. Would your choice be the Cannon 80D or the 7D MK II.

Bob

I have a 7dmkII and love it. I couple it with a canon 70-200 f2.8 USM II and the images it produces are really impressive. The combo is built for action. Either will work fine, unless you are trying to produce professional images. It becomes more about the lens. You could rent the 70-200 for Alaska. If you want longer zone, you can couple the

lens with a 1.4or 2.0 extender. You lose a little aperture with the extender, but you still get decent performance. Both cameras are a step up from your entry level Dslr. Remember you marry your lens and rent your bodies....

Tim

Sent from my iPad using Forums