Great Italian itinerary, but doable for walking/balance challenged?

dcsam

There's a wonderful Italian itinerary aboard the Wind Surf. But I'm questioning if I should look at another cruiseline. My husband has walking and balance difficulty. We do travel a lot (just returned from French Polynesia, 22 night cruise in December). He can walk, but we use a transfer chair quite a bit too. He would probably spend more time on the ship if he thinks a tour would be too rigorous. Not having a balcony is also a bit of a bummer. We do spend more time in our cabins than the average couple, so a balcony would be missed. He thinks Italy would simply be too challenging for him. I would still go, but wondering what you all suggest? Viking Oceans and Azamara have some decent itineraries too, but Wind Surf looks fantastic. Suggestions? Ideas?

I do not want to be a downer or discourage but our friend is compromised and sounds similar to your husband. He called WS spoke to a supervisor and told him/her what he could and could not do. He very much wanted to come with us on the Tall Ship Cruise two years ago. They honestly advised he that he would have difficulties. You might think of doing that. FYI very wide decks lots of space we never miss a balcony. Two elevators bow and stern so you can reach all decks. There are step overs because of the water tight doors in your rooms. The step overs were the deciding factor for our friend. Seriously call WS.

There's a wonderful Italian itinerary aboard the Wind Surf. But I'm questioning if I should look at another cruiseline. My husband has walking and balance difficulty. We do travel a lot (just returned from French Polynesia, 22 night cruise in December). He can walk, but we use a transfer chair quite a bit too. He would probably spend more time on the ship if he thinks a tour would be too rigorous. Not having a balcony is also a bit of a bummer. We do spend more time in our cabins than the average couple, so a balcony would be missed. He thinks Italy would simply be too challenging for him. I would still go, but wondering what you all suggest? Viking Oceans and Azamara have some decent itineraries too, but Wind Surf looks fantastic. Suggestions? Ideas?

The biggest challenge will be tenders as there are very few places that you will be tied up. Tendering can be "iffy" at times if the seas are not cooperative. That being said, some people are more determined than others. We were on a couple of months ago and two people who used walkers got off on each tendered port and toured. They loved the cruise and the crew who worked the tenders were very gentle with them. Each person is so different. Agree that you should discuss with WS. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thank you. Looking back, I believe my answer is in my question. It's a 'no'. He can do tenders - that's not a problem. One thing he does enjoy, is a nice pool. Although he can get in and out with one of those vertical ladders, the pool just doesn't look very conducive to a walking 'challenged' person who likes like to get in and out on their own. Between lack of accessible pool and no balconies, best I continue my search. Darn! Windstar has a beautiful Italian itinerary. The best I've seen.

Hi again, I really would advise that you call WS. My friend was more compromised from the sound of your response. He could not have taken the tenders. The step overs and not big you have to be aware of yhem and they are well marked. The decks on the Surf are wide, the area around the pool is wide. The pool is small and am not sure of that my friend could not get out of a pool. Beautiful for sitting and gazing. The main deck inside store-reception-yacht club- lounge-dining room all on one level, very eady to nsvigate. The ship even when full never seems crowded because of the layout of the space and it is a sailboat. You serm so keen on the itinerary I would seriously call WS based on your description and the honesty my friend got from them. Wherever you go I hope it is wonderful.

Since you love the itinerary, it is a terrific ship ( 20 times ), service is unbelievable, great food, the sails and the sail away it might be the ship for you. Call WS. Whatever you do hope it is glorious, the WS is glorious for us.

• 4 weeks later...