Dream hits dock in Nassau

trtrguy

I doubt most even felt the bump .... when you have that many tons moving a dent like this is the result of 1 mph hit .....

inertia ......

on the other hand as a former ship driver I can tell you that 1 mph moving in the wrong direction at the wrong place is a BAD thing and demands immediate action. If you have over 100,000 tons to stop or turn, it don't happen in a few seconds .....

on airplanes things happen fast and you can change things faster

on ships it is slow motion but you better anticipate an hour b4 or it is TOO LATE and you just sit back and watch the results ..... crunch crunch crunch

I doubt most even felt the bump .... when you have that many tons moving a dent like this is the result of 1 mph hit .....

inertia ......

on the other hand as a former ship driver I can tell you that 1 mph moving in the wrong direction at the wrong place is a BAD thing and demands immediate action. If you have over 100,000 tons to stop or turn, it don't happen in a few seconds .....

on airplanes things happen fast and you can change things faster

on ships it is slow motion but you better anticipate an hour b4 or it is TOO LATE and you just sit back and watch the results ..... crunch crunch crunch

Any idea of what the lines (grid work sort of lines) are?

Any idea of what the lines (grid work sort of lines) are?

Those are the steel frames that keep the hull plating in shape and give it strength. From the looks of it, the frames are set in enough that they will have to crop and renew the frames to match the new contour of the hull plating, removing the crumpled parts of the frame. The dent is large enough, and gradual enough that I don't foresee them needing to renew any hull plating until the next drydock. The frame repairs could be done in service, since it's above the waterline. They may pre-stage a section and renew the hull plating at turn-around just because it looks bad. They could have a section cropped out, the new section lifted in, and at least minimum welding done to class' satisfaction in 10-12 hours. It will surely need some paint.

As CaptB_J says, the most they would have felt was maybe a little "wiggle" of the ship, and with the likely amount of propeller force they would have been using to keep from hitting, that would have been vibrating the ship pretty badly anyway.

Guess they need a bigger tennis ball hanging there to tell them when to stop.

good question as it could have been any of the above

but the Captain/Master retains responsibility ....

IME in Nassau I've usually had the pilots maintain a very advisory role and not get actively involved in parking leaving the ship handling to the Master. But some pilots DO get very involved and will 'take over' if allowed to do so.

On the other hand one of the jobs of the Master is to train juniors and I've often seen the Staff Captain doing the driving under the close supervision of the Master.

Who would be the ship driver - (1) the Dream Captain, or someone on his staff, or (2) the pilot Captain?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It depends on your definition of "ship driver". As CaptB_J says, the Captain is always responsible, and is always in command. He may give "the conn" or the authority to give orders to maneuver the ship to anyone he feels is competent to maneuver the ship. The Staff Captain is a licensed Captain as well, with the same qualifications, and sometimes as much experience, as the Captain. The pilot may be given the conn, but the pilot will not actually handle anything, whether the wheel, the engine telegraphs, or the thrusters, as he/she is not a company employee and therefore not allowed to operate anything on the ship. On the other hand, the Captain or Staff Captain will frequently operate the controls themselves to shorten the reaction time as opposed to giving a verbal order to someone and waiting for them to react. The pilot may give orders to the ship's officers and crew, but on many occasions they will glance at the Captain to see if they should follow the command, if the Captain has mentioned to them that he/she is not fully confident in the pilot. The Captain has the responsibility to take the conn back, at any time he/she feels that the ship, passengers, crew, or the environment is in danger.

It depends on your definition of "ship driver". As CaptB_J says, the Captain is always responsible, and is always in command. He may give "the conn" or the authority to give orders to maneuver the ship to anyone he feels is competent to maneuver the ship. The Staff Captain is a licensed Captain as well, with the same qualifications, and sometimes as much experience, as the Captain. The pilot may be given the conn, but the pilot will not actually handle anything, whether the wheel, the engine telegraphs, or the thrusters, as he/she is not a company employee and therefore not allowed to operate anything on the ship. On the other hand, the Captain or Staff Captain will frequently operate the controls themselves to shorten the reaction time as opposed to giving a verbal order to someone and waiting for them to react. The pilot may give orders to the ship's officers and crew, but on many occasions they will glance at the Captain to see if they should follow the command, if the Captain has mentioned to them that he/she is not fully confident in the pilot. The Captain has the responsibility to take the conn back, at any time he/she feels that the ship, passengers, crew, or the environment is in danger.

Happily, the Staff Captain is also quite well qualified to be in control. :)

Interesting comments--we were told that while in the Panama Canal (on DCL) that a canal pilot actually steered to ship. I have NO maritime experience; just repeating the info we were given during the cruise.

In any event, I wouldn't have wanted to be Captain Henry contacting the main office after this one!

Interesting comments--we were told that while in the Panama Canal (on DCL) that a canal pilot actually steered to ship. I have NO maritime experience; just repeating the info we were given during the cruise.

In any event' date=' I wouldn't have wanted to be Captain Henry contacting the main office after this one![/quote']

In the Panama Canal, the pilot assumes responsibility for the ship, and therefore assumes command. This is because the Canal Authority assumes financial responsibility for the ship, while in the Canal. The same applies when a ship enters a drydock, the docking master assumes command, and the shipyard assumes all financial liability. However, in both cases, while there will be "foremen" (or in the case of the PC, a "bosun" on deck to direct the line handling operations, the ship's crew still operate the winches, and the bridge crew still operate the controls. No pilot actually steers a ship.

I just watched the video, she was still really moving when she smacked the pier. I know it takes a while to spin up the main props, but there wasn't any prop wash until after the impact. And it didn't sound like there was a lot of wind to blow the ship into the dock.

In any event' date=' I wouldn't have wanted to be Captain Henry contacting the main office after this one![/quote']

Yup!! I'd sure HATE to be this ship's captain, and have to make THAT phone call, it'd go something like this...'Uh, yeaaah, Hi, can you tell me where the insurance card is and do we have comprehensive OR just. What??.Why, am I asking, well, see the sun was in my eyes and I was backing up and this parking dock came outta no where and..':eek:

(Bet the captain hopes the damage is NOT payroll deductible)

Mac

It depends on your definition of "ship driver". As CaptB_J says, the Captain is always responsible, and is always in command. He may give "the conn" or the authority to give orders to maneuver the ship to anyone he feels is competent to maneuver the ship. ... The pilot may be given the conn, but the pilot will not actually handle anything, whether the wheel, the engine telegraphs, or the thrusters, as he/she is not a company employee and therefore not allowed to operate anything on the ship.

We're caught in a bit of semantics here ..... who is 'driving' or 'steering'? Unless the person takes actual 'hands on control' as a Captain or Conning Officer might during mooring (parking) there is typically either a helmsman or the ship is being steered by auto pilot. If a pilot is given the conn for a docking, and this happens, they will simply call engine and rudder commands to the helm and lee helm (the one on the throttles) and the person on the thrusters [this might be one person even Master at the bridge wing controls doing what the pilot says] ..... in my mind the person 'steering' IS the one with 'the conn'. On 'my ships' the pilot was to make recommendations to the CONN who would then issue commands to helm/throttle ether verbally or via THEIR hands on the controls (varies by ship what controls are ON the wings) I can certainly see a Captain saying the pilot was 'steering' as shorthand ... this avoids trying to explain 'having the conn'

The Navy and to some degree the Coast Guard on the larger cutters can divide the bridge watch many ways

the conn is giving the steering and engine commands, and dealing with decisions concerning other ship traffic (in my eye, driving)

the deck runs everything else the bridge watch is responsible for .... small boat ops or helo ops for example

a conning officer in training may be given the conn "under the instruction of XXXX", typically the DECK watch officer, this means that XXX has the authority to immediately correct or countermand anything the trainee says .... without an official transfer of 'the conn' (who has the conn is noted in the official log and every change is recorded. CONN has legal responsibilities.)

In the CG if the Captain gives a direct engine or helm command at anytime, the bridge announces "Captain has the conn" and this is so until it is formally relinquished to another ....

I've commented previously that the relationship between the Captain, the Conn and a pilot is a delicate tap dance. It was my practice to make a point of spending a few minutes in discussion with the pilot and the CONN ensuring ALL 3 KNOW 100% what 'the rules are' ... there ARE Captain/Masters who are 100% happy to give the conn to the pilot and just stand back and watch. NOT the way I ever did it, but all you need do is read a few NTSB reports of accidents/incidents to see this is EXACTLY what happened. Not too long ago a San Fran pilot ran a tanker into one of the supports of the Bay Bridge resulting in a significant oil spill - while the VTS (vessel traffic system) was calling repeatedly saying they were heading straight for the support .. TURN. No, the pilot did not have his hand on the wheel .... but he WAS steering! Pilot thought he was right and VTS was wrong ...... bad way to find out who was right ... big oil spill into San Fran Bay. Captain was also blamed for not getting involved. The Sunshine Skyway Bridge takedown was similar .... pilot driven 100% and the Captain did nothing to stop it.

Edited by Capt_BJ