Antarctic Kayak Adventure

FLgemini

I'm eager to do this, but have questions for someone who has done it.

This is listed as an excursion for each of the six days the Quest is in Antarctica as part of the "Antarctic Experience."

I assume this excursion is all dependent on weather and is subject to cancellation? Is that often knowing the volatility of the weather there?

More importantly, is there any day to do this that is better than others (e.g., day two as opposed to day five) or is it really random? I'll likely only do this once---$295 a pop!

Any other insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I haven't done the kayaking in Antarctica, but I did go to Antarctica with Seabourn a couple of years ago. The one thing I can assure you of is that nothing is certain in Antarctica! Weather and other variables will dictate where the ship goes each day, how long you spend in each location, and if the conditions are suitable for disembarking the ship for kayaking or other activities. I would say that if possible, Seabourn would try to give you another day/time slot if your particular kayaking tour can't go ahead, but nothing is guaranteed in that part of the world Perhaps try to book an earlier day in the Antarctica programme to increase the chances of you being given an alternate slot if available? I can tell you that Antarctica was absolutely my best cruise experience EVER!

Edited by cruising kirby
added information

I haven't done the kayaking in Antarctica, but I did go to Antarctica with Seabourn a couple of years ago. The one thing I can assure you of is that nothing is certain in Antarctica! Weather and other variables will dictate where the ship goes each day, how long you spend in each location, and if the conditions are suitable for disembarking the ship for kayaking or other activities. I would say that if possible, Seabourn would try to give you another day/time slot if your particular kayaking tour can't go ahead, but nothing is guaranteed in that part of the world Perhaps try to book an earlier day in the Antarctica programme to increase the chances of you being given an alternate slot if available? I can tell you that Antarctica was absolutely my best cruise experience EVER!

Yep, ditto, I couldn't agree more, also I would go back (on Seabourn) tomorrow :)

The people who book for 5 or 6 days will get out at least once. We booked for for the 3rd day this past feb. and it did not go. My personal opinion is that booking 5 times to go once is basically unfair but its a common practice per some on our cruise who had it work for them

The people who book for 5 or 6 days will get out at least once. We booked for for the 3rd day this past feb. and it did not go. My personal opinion is that booking 5 times to go once is basically unfair but its a common practice per some on our cruise who had it work for them

To clarify, I didn’t book 5 times to go once, I booked 5 times because I wanted to go 5 times. I actually had no idea when booking that so many trips tend to get cancelled.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for weighing in. I've scoured the Internet for all things Antarctica and I definitely have realistic expectations going in that nothing is certain.

I do think I'll book for Day 1 or 2 in Antarctica to increase chances of going on a kayak adventure later in the voyage if my particular day is cancelled due to weather. That's a good strategy.

We booked 2days last year and we're able to go both days. We were lucky! If they cancel they will either put you on another day or refund. I highly recommend. It was a highlight of our trip to Antarctica!