Best way to get from hotel to Port Everglades for 6 people? Shuttle? UberXL?

We fly into FLL they day before our cruise and we are staying in a local hotel. Just wondering what is the best way to get from the hotel to Port Everglades for 6 people. There's a shuttle for $10 a person, but I was thinking an UberXL would be much cheaper. Has anyone else gone this route?

I would go with 2 uberX or Lyfts. 6 people and 6+ bags might be tight for an uberXL or Lyft Plus as you may have something as small as a minivan and if you've packed on the heavier side, it may be worth the extra couple bucks to just split between 2 vehicles.

My concern with the Uber is that since it's such a short ride that no Uber driver will want the fare?

Sent from my SM-T800 using Forums mobile app

Uber XL, the suv, from the Hyatt on 17th Street to Terminal 18 is approximately $35. That is approximately the cost of two taxis. With 6 people and 1 piece of luggage each I doubt you’d get them all in one XL.

You might be better getting two regular Ubers, where everything will fit and save a $5-10 on the cost of the XL. We take Uber VS the taxi as you know exactly which vehicle is yours. We have called for taxis in the past and have had to call again for another as someone at the hotel had taken ours.

My concern with the Uber is that since it's such a short ride that no Uber driver will want the fare?

This actually happened to me last summer (2016). We were only a 5 minute ride to the port and the first two UberXLs canceled on me (one stating he got lost)..... I was starting to get a little miffed but the third guy was great and showed up with in a minute or two of placing the order. We still beat the first shuttle out of the hotel parking lot. Also - not sure it has been mentioned - If you sign up for the hotel shuttle you are not guaranteed a spot on the first bus. The Hampton Inn we stayed at probably had close to 200 people trying to get on the shuttle with lots of luggage. The Lobby area was packed. I want to say the bus was around a 30 passenger with trailer for luggage but not sure of the actual capacity. If getting to the port early is important to you then keep that in mind.

This actually happened to me last summer (2016). We were only a 5 minute ride to the port and the first two UberXLs canceled on me (one stating he got lost)..... I was starting to get a little miffed but the third guy was great and showed up with in a minute or two of placing the order. We still beat the first shuttle out of the hotel parking lot. Also - not sure it has been mentioned - If you sign up for the hotel shuttle you are not guaranteed a spot on the first bus. The Hampton Inn we stayed at probably had close to 200 people trying to get on the shuttle with lots of luggage. The Lobby area was packed. I want to say the bus was around a 30 passenger with trailer for luggage but not sure of the actual capacity. If getting to the port early is important to you then keep that in mind.

Wow! Good to know! Thanks!!!!!!

Our ship leaves on a Monday in January. I'm thinking that there will be less crowds then? This is my first cruise, so I'm a bit clueless :)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

We found Uber XL easy and convenient. Cost was cheaper than 4 people using the hotel shuttle service.

I would be concerned about 6 ppl plus luggage fitting into 1 car, so would consider booking 2 cars. Still more convenient and easy than using a shuttle IMO.

Also - not sure it has been mentioned - If you sign up for the hotel shuttle you are not guaranteed a spot on the first bus. The Hampton Inn we stayed at probably had close to 200 people trying to get on the shuttle with lots of luggage. The Lobby area was packed. I want to say the bus was around a 30 passenger with trailer for luggage but not sure of the actual capacity. If getting to the port early is important to you then keep that in mind.

Yep. We were at embassy suites for a later October cruise. Bought the tickets in the lobby and walked outside to chaos. We were getting on the little Vision but forgot that the two big ships we could see from our room also needed to fill up with people. Those relative few of us going to vision were out in a tiny van which didn't leave for about an hour. In October. Waiting outside. Ugh.

Meanwhile countless taxis picked people up then came back around.

Next time we're cabbing it.

I think I will go with the UberXL. I also have Lyft, so I can do that as a backup.

Thanks to everyone who replied! This is my first post on CC and I'm overwhelmed at how quickly people responded!!!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

We did 4 plus a toddler and luggage that required two XLs. For comparison, it was from the Ramada at PC to the pier and cost just under $20 for each.

We had a group of 6 as well, and we are using South Florida Shuttles. We requested a private shuttle. It came to about $50....that's less than $10 each. We are together, scheduled, and ready to go. I personally think that is the best offer.

How early should we leave our hotel?? I think boarding starts at noon, so I was thinking of leaving at 11:00. Should at leave earlier than that?

I'd leave at 10am and try to get to the cruise terminal by 10:30am.

I vote for a minivan taxi. The back should be big enough for all the luggage and it will fit 6. We tried Uber XL last time, but what pulled up was an SUV with no trunk space, so we had to put the third row of seats down to fit the luggage and do another Uber to get us all to the port. Then to top it off, the driver complained all the way because there was traffic getting into the port and it was such a low fare. I got the whole low-down on why Uber drivers hate cruise trips in FLL, and he only took us because non-cruise traffic was slow that morning, and he should have known better. Then to top it off he had a big jar with a note that said "Tips Encouraged". Worst Uber experience I've ever had.

I vote for a minivan taxi. The back should be big enough for all the luggage and it will fit 6. We tried Uber XL last time, but what pulled up was an SUV with no trunk space, so we had to put the third row of seats down to fit the luggage and do another Uber to get us all to the port. Then to top it off, the driver complained all the way because there was traffic getting into the port and it was such a low fare. I got the whole low-down on why Uber drivers hate cruise trips in FLL, and he only took us because non-cruise traffic was slow that morning, and he should have known better. Then to top it off he had a big jar with a note that said "Tips Encouraged". Worst Uber experience I've ever had.

LOL, makes me think he drives or used to drive a taxi. We have never had an Uber like that ever, let alone going to port in FLL. Hopefully you gave him a poor review.

Drivers aren't aware of where they are going until they accept it. Some might cancel on you if they are, say, 20 mins away, but I take short trips all the time and never have an issue finding one, even if it takes a minute or two.