Upsells offered only if you book directly with Princess?

LadySpoilt

It doesn't matter however you will most likely see the email quicker if you booked direct as it comes directly from Princess to you. If you booked via TA the email goes to them and would have to be forwarded to you

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agree. The faster to respond to the acceptable offer, the better chance to get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have seen many upsell posts, but curious as to whether these upsell emails were sent to random cruisers (those that may have booked through a TA or big box store) or to those that primarily booked straight through Princess?

It does not matter how you book, through Princess or a TA.

The only difference is the responsiveness of your TA.

If you book direct, YOU get the email and you contact Princess. If you book through a TA They get the email, they eventually contact you, you eventually contact them back and then they get in queue with Princess to see if they can get you the upsell.

I would venture to guess that upsells are more easily acquired when you book direct because you can respond in a timely manner.

That being said. The one time we got an upsell, Princess accidentally notified us directly and my TA NEVER did. She didn't even realize we had gotten it.

I just got an upsell last week (thru my TA forwarding the e-mail to me) I was able to call the number and get the upsell.

NICE!! I thought you had to go through your TA! That's awesome!!

I will take any forwarded email and reply myself! lol :)

Nothing to do with whether you use a TA or Princess. In theory, the upsells are supposed to be offered to those in a category Princess wants to re-sell according to their Captain's Circle status. Whether that really happens or not is up for debate. I've been offered upsells on 2 out of 3 cruises this year. None of them were worth it to me because the cabins that were available were the least desirable.

The upsell offers I have received were never really worth the extra money. So I never accepted any of them.

Tony

We didn't take the one we were offered. It was too much and not worth it in our opinion.

Well, that plus, we were on a cruise at the time and didn't have time to respond even if we had wanted to! lol

Upsells are probably like move over offers. If you use a TA, they contact your TA and your TA is supposed to notify you. Princess pays your TA a flat amount for the paperwork incurred in making the changes, and some TAs don’t believe it’s worth the bother, thus they may not forward the offers to you. While some have very reliable agents, there are some who are not.

Upsells are probably like move over offers. If you use a TA, they contact your TA and your TA is supposed to notify you. Princess pays your TA a flat amount for the paperwork incurred in making the changes, and some TAs don’t believe it’s worth the bother, thus they may not forward the offers to you. While some have very reliable agents, there are some who are not.

In my opinion a travel agent who does not forward an upsell offer is lazy.

From my experience, when we have accepted an upsell offer the change is finalized by the Princess agent and charged immediately to your credit card. There is no additional work on the part of the booking agent. Your record is updated immediately by Princess, not your travel agent.

Several years ago we were sent an incredible offer directly from Princess and waited too long to respond so we missed it. A couple weeks later, we got the same offer and we jumped on it right away. We book, exclusively, through Princess. The offer was an Alaska cruise on the Coral; balcony and status upgrade for right around $600 each. I have never seen that offer again and I think it was a fast response required so those of us who do book directly, may have had an advantage on that offer. On our last Princess cruise we were offered a balcony upgrade from an inside for around $200 each. Didn't take long to make that change, either. :D

We were using a TA that did not notify us of an available move over offer, which we almost missed had I not been reading these Boards. This particular TA has a terrific following from many on these boards. However, after almost losing several thousand dollars, we no longer use a TA and always book with Princess direct. No regrets. We have had 2 more moveover offers since, but couldn’t take advantage of the offers.