Gratuities on Delux Beverage Package?

smilz

My BFF has been in the liquor business for +30 years, working for Fetzer, Labatt's, AB, and InBev. Rule of thumb has always been to tip a $1 a drink. Bartenders don't do nearly the amount of service as a waiter so $1 for one drink is plenty. Since they already gouge us 18%, which is much more than $1 per drink I feel no remorse for not leaving something extra.

Price quoted does not include gratuities. But when you add it to purchase, it adds the 18%.

Last cruise, a couple of times I tossed the pool bar staff a $5 (it goes in a bucket at the back of the bar, so shared by those working). They were VERY attentive and fun to chat with.

I didn't tip extra at the actual bars often as I got ho hum service, but when we were at a show or sitting a table in one of the lounges or bars and the staff got my drink, I tipped extra. By late day two this one waiter had served me a couple times in other bars and came over without me asking and brought my drink of choice. He kept them coming and I never ran dry. I tipped him very well and it paid off with excellent service in the lounges. He seemed to be at several places I visited so I assume the rove from bar to bar based on demand.

We've never done drink packages before, so forgive me for not knowing how the process works... when you get a drink, do you have to sign for it?

It is hit or miss. I think on JOTS this year, we might have gotten a slip 3 times all week. If you ask for one, you can get one, but I think most get busy and just toss them.

It is hit or miss. I think on JOTS this year, we might have gotten a slip 3 times all week. If you ask for one, you can get one, but I think most get busy and just toss them.

DD has never carried cash on a ship, so if she's in the mood to give an additional tip, she might have to then?

On my 9 day cruise I will pay about $90 for gratuities for my drink package. I too like to tip about a dollar a drink when I go out here at home. There's no way I will drink 90 drinks in those 9 days. I'm guessing it will fall somewhere in the 50-60 range at most given we are in port for 4 of those days. So on the high side of 60 that would be $1.50 a drink and in my book that is plenty. I always carry a few singles with me and when at a sailway, or other outdoor activity where they are walking around with drinks I will give them an extra dollar in cash because that seems to help keep my drinks coming. But I never add anything to the slip I sign.

On my 9 day cruise I will pay about $90 for gratuities for my drink package. I too like to tip about a dollar a drink when I go out here at home. There's no way I will drink 90 drinks in those 9 days. I'm guessing it will fall somewhere in the 50-60 range at most given we are in port for 4 of those days. So on the high side of 60 that would be $1.50 a drink and in my book that is plenty. I always carry a few singles with me and when at a sailway, or other outdoor activity where they are walking around with drinks I will give them an extra dollar in cash because that seems to help keep my drinks coming. But I never add anything to the slip I sign.

Good point, I hadn't looked at it that way. Is the "service charge" 100% tip? If so, and considering we will be on islands for 5 of our cruise days, add into that the drinks from the diamond lounge... DD won't be drinking even 7 drinks a day (on her deluxe package)... I'm guessing extra tipping will be reserved for those who "earn" the extra. We usually tip the staff in the DL at the end of the cruise, and haven't suffered lesser service by waiting. Hopefully she will come across a bartender or two that she feels get extra tips.

We are five weeks away from our nine day cruise, will bring about 75 dollars in ones for tipping , tip almost with every drink either in bars or suite/concierge lounge, also about same in fives, good to have small bills at ports also

We are five weeks away from our nine day cruise, will bring about 75 dollars in ones for tipping , tip almost with every drink either in bars or suite/concierge lounge, also about same in fives, good to have small bills at ports also

But are you buying each drink, or do you have a package? I'm just not seeing a NEED to tip each bartender for each drink with the drink package...

But are you buying each drink, or do you have a package? I'm just not seeing a NEED to tip each bartender for each drink with the drink package...

There is no need to tip a bar server whether you have a drink package or buy each drink. It's optional.

We always take one with us when we cruise or do AI at resorts. I am not saying we tip every drink, but we do tip alot. The thing we like about cash is that if we give it to the server, he can put it in his pocket and not share. If you add it to the drink ticket, then it is shared by everyone. So we take cash and tip the servers that serve us at the pool, in the DL, or any of the other lounges. Tip the bartenders if we get our own drinks.

We always buy the package.

We've never done drink packages before, so forgive me for not knowing how the process works... when you get a drink, do you have to sign for it?

We were on Allure in Sept and every alcoholic drink we had to sign, if we got a water/soda they didn’t print one.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am not saying it is needed, but it’s what I do, yes I buy package and also am diamond and book suites so I drink in several places, service seems to improve when tipping , many people tip extra and many do not, neither is wrong

What’s the difference? You are still paying the 18% either way.

If you want to tip extra then do it. If you don’t want to no one is forcing you to.