Another VOOM question

My family is traveling on the Oasis on April 1 next year and I have been following the RCCL website pretty closely waiting for some discounts on dining/drink packages/internet etc. I expect as we get closer the discount offers will happen. My question today is around the VOOM package. When I sailed on the Oasis this past March we could purchase a multi device package and it saved us some $ over purchasing a number of single device packages. The only option I have currently in my cruises for next year is 1 device. Do they add multi device options later on or is everything sold as 1 device now. That would seem kind of crazy but maybe they have changed it over the past year. Has anyone had this experience?

Just wondering if anyone knows if you could have 1 device (like an iPhone) and then turn on the phone's hotspot for other devices to log into. Suspect this would be cheating but do the block it through multiple IP addresses? Thanks.

Won't work with a phone because the phone needs to be getting internet via cellular to work as a hotspot.

Will work with Windows 10 and some inexpensive routers.

Just wondering if anyone knows if you could use the Voom wifi connection and create a local network.

Unlike a the connection at home, you are dividing a pretty crappy connection. So you are spreading crappyness across several devices.

Just wondering if anyone knows if you could use the Voom wifi connection and create a local network. You'd need some sort of portable router I guess. Was thinking about using hotspot but don't think that works on wifi.

My Samsung Galaxy S7 (Android) is able to create a hotspot from a connected wifi network so it is possible but you'll find that if any of you are trying to access the internet at once, that you'll not be able to access anything due to two devices trying to access via a single mac address at once. Worth a go but just be prepared for it to not be ideal or usable.

Thanks Bob. It just seems to make sense to have a multi device option. I'll keep my eyes out as we get closer.

Royal doesn't always make sense. On one cruise, the multi-device plan was more expensive than two single device plans combined. We booked the two separate plans. Haven't seen that since.

Royal doesn't always make sense. On one cruise, the multi-device plan was more expensive than two single device plans combined. We booked the two separate plans. Haven't seen that since.

I realize this is probably a stupid question... can I purchase a multi device pkg for 2 devices and 2 different ppl use it (each on 1 device). I think the fact that it has me assign to a specific person in the room once it’s in my cart is confusing me. If I assign it to 2 ppl it’s double the price. Do I just assign it to myself and both myself and 1 other person can use it?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I realize this is probably a stupid question... can I purchase a multi device pkg for 2 devices and 2 different ppl use it (each on 1 device). I think the fact that it has me assign to a specific person in the room once it’s in my cart is confusing me. If I assign it to 2 ppl it’s double the price. Do I just assign it to myself and both myself and 1 other person can use it?

You can share your multi-device package with anyone you like. Just buy one multi-device package.

You can share your multi-device package with anyone you like. Just buy one multi-device package.

Thank you! I’m having trouble figuring out how often we’ll actually make use of this. My main goal is to be able to keep in touch with travel party. I am debating whether or not to get my 11yo son it so that he can keep in touch from the kids club

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you! I’m having trouble figuring out how often we’ll actually make use of this. My main goal is to be able to keep in touch with travel party. I am debating whether or not to get my 11yo son it so that he can keep in touch from the kids club

When you buy a multi-device package, there is only one access code. So you've got to determine how you will control access to your package with you have a bunch of devices sharing one package.

For example, say you have a 2-device package, but 4 people (or 4-devices) that want to use it. After 2 devices are logged in, and other deivce that tries to log in gets an error message or knocks someone else off. Either way, it can be a pain unless you set up some sort of sharing protocol.

Thank you! I’m having trouble figuring out how often we’ll actually make use of this.

You can't count on this but on Harmony some have reported texting (WiFi calling enable on phone and using iMessage) working without a VOOM packge.